Marlin 39a Mountie trigger lightening confusion
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By swany

Thread: Marlin 39a Mountie trigger lightening confusion

Banned
    Member #

Marlin 39a Mountie trigger lightening confusion

Hello folks,after cleaning out my barrel from many enjoyable rounds of shooting I decided to take a look at my high poundage trigger pull and see what I would have to do to lighten it. I have read some of the forums and marlin owners notes and ID like to say that something doesnt make sense here. The 2 surfaces of friction are the triggers sear edge meeting into the hammers notches with a slight bevel of both edges for some safety margin I suppose. My gun was from the 60s so its been well smoothed out and broken in and the hammers notched step depth is equal to the thickness of the triggers blade at the tip that goes into the notch, so there is no need to stone down anything other than a little polishing. Hence there is no creep,it breaks clean and quick. The problem is merely the amount of tension needed to get that trigger sear out from the notch. That tension comes from 2 places-the hammer spring and the trigger (clothes pin type )spring. The forum notes here are in favor of bending the smaller lighter trigger spring upward to relieve some of that tension which would supposedly give about 1lb less force. Well I disagree.I took off the heavier hammer spring and measured the trigger spring alone on the trigger/sear engagement and lo and behold its only 1lb exactly to get that blade out of the notch! I wont dare weaken that spring. My total of 2 springs went off the 5lb scale of the spring gauge meaning the Hammer spring must be adding the additional 4lbs plus of tension on pushing the top overhead of the notch down on the trigger blade. So its the hammer spring that needs some lightening .I understand that Wolf makes a lighter spring but from the reviews its 50:50 for it or against it because of the misfires .So either the wolf spring needs some shims to beef it up or the original factory spring needs to be weakened --somehow.The factory spring is a complex one of tapered ends with a ground ends on each side of the coil to fit squarely against the hammer and frame.So from here can anyone help complete this fix and add to this post? Has anyone else seen it like I do or am I off track. Thanks

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

Re: Marlin 39a Mountie trigger lightening confusion

I do see what you are looking at. Changing the angle of the sear on the trigger does what you want, it does not take much to remove a lb of force from it.

The bending of the trigger spring does reduce the pressure, especially the ones with a trigger block safety in it, that spring is usually a bit stronger. Figuring if you reduce the amount needed to pull the trigger by 1/2 by bending the spring, by the time it translates to the sear that will multiply by the less amount of force to disengage above the fulcrum point of the triggers pin. Trying this first may surprise you in the end, worse case scenario you have to remove the spring to bend it back.

Now if you have a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel you could put a new spring retainer notch in the trigger plate and move your retainer plate back a little reducing the preload and reducing the trigger pull a little. Most often the reduced springs are used in CASS and SASS competions to make the cycling of the lever much easier to do, so you can keep on target easier.

If you are uncomfortable in stoning the triggers sear angle take it to a smith, they usually only charge around $30 reduce it to around 3lbs.

Banned
    Member #

OK, I just switched all the Marlins to the Wolf Barrls style reduced hammer springs.Before :
    Marlin 39a pull- 72 ounces Wolf Spring took it down to 48oz (3lbs)
    Marlin 1894C pull-56oz Wolf Spring took it down to 48oz (3lbs)
    Marlin 1894 pull-72oz Wolf Spring took it down to 48oz (3lbs)

I didnt polish or stone the trigger and hammer sear on the centerbores just the 39a because I had it fully apart .All 3 guns had a trigger spring pull of 1 pound without the hammer springs so I didnt touch them at all. Now to go to the range and see if they all fire without misfires. The guy at Wolfs said hard primers like the one I have (CCI) may have a problem but not the soft ones. We shall see. One thing Id like to add though is the barrel shaped wolf springs are longer than the factory hammer springs and when you cock it it binds.Im alittle concerned about that and dont understand why they didnt figure the dimensions out better than this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

Plated primers are harder to ignite.
    Reg likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links