Did I bend the trigger return spring to far ?

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Did I bend the trigger return spring to far ?

Hi,

I Followed through the instructions given to lighten the trigger pull on my parlin 336.

I filed the sear like said,

All in all, I think it went ok, I assume my trigger weight is half of what he used to be.

However, when unbending the trigger return spring, I felt like I had been a pinch to far, but the trigger was still comming back.

the thing is now, when the gun is cocked (or not), I can play with the trigger back and forth about a quarter inch.

I don't remember if it did that before.

Oh and I think I messed up the safety mecanism. When I pull the trigger with the hammer block safety in place, the gun fires, but the hammer stops before hitting the punch.

Is it normal or what did I do wrong if it's not the spring.

Thanks

JP

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Did I bend the trigger return spring to far ?

Quote Originally Posted by tak
    Hi,

I Followed through the instructions given to lighten the trigger pull on my parlin 336.

I filed the sear like said,

All in all, I think it went ok, I assume my trigger weight is half of what he used to be.

However, when unbending the trigger return spring, I felt like I had been a pinch to far, but the trigger was still comming back.

the thing is now, when the gun is cocked (or not), I can play with the trigger back and forth about a quarter inch.

I don't remember if it did that before.
    That is normal (known as the Marlin flop) and has nothing to do with the trigger return spring. It had the same play before you worked on it.

Oh and I think I messed up the safety mecanism. When I pull the trigger with the hammer block safety in place, the gun fires, but the hammer stops before hitting the punch.

Is it normal or what did I do wrong if it's not the spring.
    If, when you say "the gun fires" you mean the hammer drops when the trigger is pulled...and...if "hammer stops before hitting the punch" means the hammer is striking the crossbolt safety before contacting the firing pin...then yes, this is normal and you did nothing wrong. Luckily.

I would suggest in the future, before you tear into a firearm and attempt any trigger work, you familiarize yourself thoroughly with the design before beginning any alterations. It's bound to save you heartache and money down the road.

Roe

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

+1...This is how people get killed!
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Yeah I should probably have put a bit more effort into double checking how everything worked before, but I think it's more me being concerned about not messing it up, kind of stressed me out :P.

"That is how people get killed" Then again, I noticed the safety thing by doing every possible check I could do, and went here just to make sure, I'm pretty safe when it comes to firearms, my next step was thoroughly check it at the range. I also try to see if bumping or dropping it could make the trigger jump a notch, wich it doesn't.

Any ways, the only gun smith that is near me doesn't know what a marlin 336 is and I can't afford the happy trigger now so I had to take the leap.

Apparently, everything went fine and I did the good choice.

Site Contibutor Super Moderator
    Member #

What they meant was you should have known how a normal trigger worked before working on it, your question about "flop" makes it pretty obvious you didn't, since the flop is present on all Marlin centerfire lever guns, for over 60 years. Same with your question about the saftey, had you familiarized yourself with the function & mechanics of a Marlin both the flop & fact the hammer will drop would have been already known.
    Glad it worked out well in the end though.
    Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/
    Team 1894 member#146
    Team 45/70 member#458
    Freedoms not free!
    Support your NRA!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I think that this is good that you had faith in the fact that you could do the work and then double check your work and not afraid to ask questions about what you did. That is how we learn by experience and questions.

BTW, how did the trigger work turn out at the range? Did it improve your accuracy?

In addition, welcome to Marlin Owners. There is a wealth of information for just about any thing that you want to do.
    Nightfisher
    Team 1894 #39 - Team 35 #19 - Team 30-30 #99 Marlin League # 38 - Team 336-44 #31

To each his own.

Don't blame me. I voted for the American.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links