Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Randy Garrett
  • 5 Post By swany

Thread: Hammer Springs and the Marlin Lever-gun

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Hammer Springs and the Marlin Lever-gun

Shooters,

There is a subject I haven't seen addressed on the forum that is worthy of consideration. This subject may have already been dealt with by others, but if not it definitely deserves discussion. The issue is the relative frequency of underpowered hammer springs in Marlin lever-guns, and their effects on ammo performance.

I recently had a 1895SS turned into something special by Jim Brockman, and as he was finishing the project, he called to report that he just couldn't get the gun to shoot well at all. He was using my ammo exclusively. He reported erratic accuracy, with groups varying rather widely in their size. He even reported that one round didn't go off. At this point I knew that he had a rifle that had a weak hammer spring, and I suggested that he replace the spring and try again. He called the next day to report that after replacing the spring, and doing nothing else to the gun, he was able to shoot some of the best groups he had ever shot with the 45-70.

This is the second Marlin I have owned that required a replacement hammer spring in order to perform as it should. Knowing just how hard many shooters work to find the right load, it is important that this potential problem not be over-looked. Many shooters waste huge amounts of time, effort, and money, pursuing excellence in handloading, just to be foiled by erratic ignition caused by weak hammer springs. If your gun shows any tendency toward erratic performance, I would strongly suggest changing the hammer spring. It just might save you a lot of unnecessary work!
    wattyp and NoImpactNoIdea like this.
    est regards, Randy Garrett
    www.GarrettCartridges.com

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

WEAK MAIN SPRINGS PREVENT MISFIRES & DECREASE LOCK TIME

As stated, How to increase hammer spring tension. Decrease lock time. Shrink groups. This will however increase the amount of effort to cycle the action.

#1. Aquire three #10 Machine screw washers these are made for allen screws and have a smaller OD. Three if you have an older marlin with the second notch, two otherwise.

#2. Remove the buttstock screw at the end of the tang, and remove the buttstock.

#3. Making sure your firearm is unloaded first take the firearm off half cock and move hammer farthest fwd to lessen the spring tension.

#4. Remove the spring retainer from the lower trigger plates groove BE CAREFUL.

#5. Remove the spring and put on one or two of the washers. Replace the spring and replace the spring retainer. This is a little difficult with a little patience can be done. Replace the buttstock and screw your done.

YOU HAVE NOW SUCESSFULLY INCREASED THE PRELOAD ON THE SPRING AND THEREBY DECREASED LOCK TIME AND INSURED BETTER IGINITION AND BEST OF ALL SHRINK GROUPS.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links