Proud Daddy of wonderful Daughter
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree159Likes

Thread: Proud Daddy of wonderful Daughter

Contributing Member
    Member #

Proud Daddy of wonderful Daughter

Didn't know where else to post this but I am so proud of my daughter.

My daughter was always interested in medicine. She was born with a pneumothorax blowing a hole in her lung. The umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck and had an emergency cesarean which caused the pneumothorax. Born 6 minutes after determination and she was out squealing but in distress. She ended up in NICU for 10 days in an incubator and were we warned of organ and brain damage. (I was in the merchant marine at the time and skipped the sailing for her birth - good thing!)

All is well, she is as tough as nails ever since. The boys would not let her play basketball with them as she beat them all the time! Half court baskets, 1 out of 5 shots. Volleyball, etc....

After her episode, and growing up she became interested in nursing, following after her aunt who was a NICU nurse and came down from Connecticut for the birth.

Tonight we learned she has been accepted to nursing school, perhaps more offers will come. Her aunt's influence and her own history is leading her to falling into her aunt's footsteps.

My eyes are wet as I type. I'm am one proud dad!

I don't know if Anna left us due to a medical issues but this was the only forum that seemed appropriate.

Thank y'all!

AC

PS: She's a shooter too!
    Last edited by gunscrewguy; 11-21-2019 at 09:09 PM.
    JMAG54, Scorpiusb, Arky73 and 44 others like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    And so you should be. ..........lucky dad you are. Good for her, good for you brother.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Awesome!! She sounds like a very bright young lady! You should be proud! I have 3 daughters who have made me so very proud to be their dad!
    336BL 30-30
    H&R Targeteer Bolt Action 22
    High Standard "Double Nine" 22 Revolver
    S&W 642 38 Special
    Iver Johnson 12ga

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Congratulations AC !!!!! My daughter is graduating from nursing school December 12. She has already been hired as an ER registered nurse in Austin. She was diagnosed at the age 5 with Juvenile diabetes. So she has been around the medical field virtually her entire life too.

Daughters are great. Sons are too.

The greatest joy in my life has been and continues to be, being a Dad. I have raised three boys and two girls. It's not always been easy but, it's always been rewarding.

T.S.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Amazing story, amazing young woman! Proud Daddy for sure!! Cheers to you and your family!
    MMC(SS), Retired
    USSVI life member
    American Legion
    NRA Benefactor member

Contributing Member
    Member #
    [QUOTE=Texas Shooter;8065363]Congratulations AC !!!!! My daughter is graduating from nursing school December 12. She has already been hired as an ER registered nurse in Austin. She was diagnosed at the age 5 with Juvenile diabetes. So she has been around the medical field virtually her entire life too.

Daughters are great. Sons are too.

The greatest joy in my life has been and continues to be, being a Dad. I have raised three boys and two girls. It's not always been easy but, it's always been rewarding.

T.S.[/QUOTE)

Funny about that. I was beat up during a race riot at our high school. One young lady was raped behind the curtains on the stage. Many went to the hospital, including cops.

I went on to a law enforcement career for 13 years inspired by that episode and vowed to be a defender of the weak. I made the first case of sexual battery in Florida by a mother of her 10 year old daughter and her pervert boy friend both of whom were sentenced to life. The state of Pennsylvania had just returned her daughter after 5 years of state custody. Eked a confession out of both of them with no harsh interrogation. Amazing how you can talk to some folks and bond with them and they'll to spill out of their mouths confessing such horrendous acts.

AC
    Last edited by gunscrewguy; Yesterday at 09:25 PM.
    kah64, Kendawg, cajun56 and 1 others like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    You should be very proud of such a young lady.

(BTW - Nurses are tough as nails - I married one, and I don't get any sympathy for any ailment I get!!!)
    Prickle Farmer

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Fantastic!

I was a nurse in a previous life. It may be the most demanding work I've ever done. I was absolutely spent, physically, mentally, and emotionally at the end of every 12 hr shift. I always worked nights. Giving report on my patients to an on-coming day nurse one morning, I fell asleep in mid-sentence.

There are patients, and then there are patients. She will learn to despise the drug seekers and malingerers quickly. But she will absolutely love taking care of the people who really need her help. I used to get a couple WWII vets every month or so. They were my absolute favorites. But so were the geriatric ladies.

The most valuable lesson I ever learned when taking on new patients, especially little old ladies who might be apprehensive about a 6'6" 250#, flat-top wearing red-neck taking care of them, was to get them to laugh within a minute or two of introduction. And there is ALWAYS something you can get them to laugh about. It takes practice and patience, but it may be the most valuable skill I developed, because it always got them to trust me. And when they trust you, it makes it much easier to do the unpleasant things nurses are sometimes required to do.

And make no mistake, some of the things nurses have to do are absolutely gross and repulsive. It is natural to be repulsed by any number of things, but a good nurse realizes early in their career that they MUST put their personal peccadilloes aside if they are to be effective. Nobody enjoys shoving an NG tube up somebody's nose and then down into their stomach. Nobody enjoys giving an enema. Nobody enjoys giving a digital disimpaction.

I worked hospice for about a year. Best encounter I had was with this little old black lady with lung cancer. She was barely able to get out of bed. Anyway, she developed a fecal impaction, and there's only one way to deal with it: you have to dig it out with your fingers. A nastier procedure you cannot imagine. I'd do my thing for 15 or 20 seconds, then she'd ask for a minute or two of rest. Then back at it, then rest, then back at it. When I was finally finished, she got up out of bed and hugged me around the neck. That was one of the best days of my life.
    kah64, cajun56, Skyhunter and 4 others like this.
    "If you can remember all of the guns you own, you don't have enough." -- Me

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." -- Col. Townsend Whelen

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Congrats to all.
    Team 39 #474, Team 60 #445, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #163, Team 22 Magnum #172
    Team Glenfield #85, Team 30-30 #1370, Team 32 Special #162, Team 35 #749, Team 444 ​#761
    Team 45/70 #1831, ​Team Marlin Express

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    You a luck man, we are all proud of our kids. I only have a son & yes I am proud of him, he is a flight Paramedic on Air evac + my DIL is a ER nurse.
    What this country needs is a department of common sense! The tree of liberty would be a great place for hang mans ropes!
    Team 22 Magnum # 46
    Team Old Pharts # 235
    Team Wheel gun # 74
    Team 22 bolt action # 5
    Team 60 # 511

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links