• 1 Post By M700
  • 2 Post By capt greg
  • 1 Post By mt_sourdough
  • 2 Post By Daltond

Thread: Getting to know the compound

Contributing Member
    Member #

Getting to know the compound

I've been shooting since I was a kid in the 1960's. Got pretty serious about it in the 1970's and shot quite a few matches with my Hoyt Pro Medalist recurve target bow. Still have that bow, and still have my 53# Hoyt hunting bow from the 1970's as well.

But... A few years ago I bough a used PSE compound, and after a short attempt last year, I'm finally starting to learn it. Had it out at the range today. Zippy and accurate. The release and the sights, and all that compound "stuff" are taking me a bit to become accustomed to - but I kinda like it.

Have an archery elk tag, and that season is in September, so I figure I'd better get a lot of practice in over the next couple of months. My form isn't what it should be. I need to adjust the bow a bit. But... I was making good hits at 40 yards today. Not bad for the first time out with it this year? I've only shot maybe 100 arrows from it so far, last year and this year.

Ya, I know I'm holding the bow too tightly. Sorry 'bout that. I'll relax the grip next time I'm out with it, later this week.

Bow is 70#, and I'm 63 years old, so feeling pretty good about that.

Regards, Guy
    vt4ster, sack, mikom and 5 others like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I would recommend a heavy arrow Easton full metal jacket is a good one and a good cut on contact fixed blade broadhead for elk size game. Good luck
    accuracy and momentum
    Last edited by vt4ster; 07-01-2019 at 07:24 PM.
    VinceA, flyfisher66048 and M700 like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Practice, practice, practice!

I can understand the learning curve from recurve to compound. That's quite a change.
    Last winter I purchased a newer/faster compound bow and it is a big change from the the one that I have shooting for several years. I'm still not real comfortable with it so will have to shoot as much as possible also the next couple months

Remember to practice from different positions that you may encounter during your hunt, from your knees, twisting to extreme angles side to side and up and down hills.

I really enjoy bow hunting, and getting a tag is a given here every year unlike firearms, which takes several years to draw sometimes. Although I did draw a hills deer tag this fall!
    Good luck with getting to know the new bow and with your hunt!
    capt greg, M700 and sack like this.

Saddest words you'll ever hear
    ... "I have these old guns that were my dads and I have no interest in them"

Teach a kid to shoot and to carry on the tradition of safe, ethical use of firearms...

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    Can’t really tell from the pic, but you might try changing your feet to be a little more bladed.

I’ll second the comment about heavy arrows, and sharp cut on contact broadheads for elk. You might lose some range, but that is hunting. I have many pleasant memories of calling in Elk in NM, exciting stuff.
    M700 likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    That looks like my first compound, a PSE Stinger. After two years of shooting, I had new threads made for it. It turned the bow into an all new rig that I did not recognize. It shot phenomally.
    You probably won't want to hear it, but I have to say it. Loosen the grip, get rid of the peep bungee and open both eyes while sighting.
    Shoot straight!
    Andrew
    M700 likes this.
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by alawrence View Post
    That looks like my first compound, a PSE Stinger. After two years of shooting, I had new threads made for it. It turned the bow into an all new rig that I did not recognize. It shot phenomally.
    You probably won't want to hear it, but I have to say it. Loosen the grip, get rid of the peep bungee and open both eyes while sighting.
    Shoot straight!
    Andrew
    I'm good with that advice, thanks!

Never had a rear/string peep before. It's... Interesting.

I'm starting to get comfortable with it. But... The simple recurve remains ready to go.

I'll give the compound a fair shot. Likely use it this year without going back to the recurve. But... I surely do miss the simplicity of the recurve.

Guy
    jgriffin1988 likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I really enjoy bow huntin also!. Very good idea to practice from different shootin positions. Much harder to draw back kneeling, or twisted on one knee. Those elk think a everything..lol
    M700 and 95 Lever like this.
    However complicated the issues become... it comes down to one simple question. Which is more important to you Life or Liberty? I've made my decision long ago.

"Is life so sweet or peace so dear; as to be paid for at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me Liberty or give me Death." Patrick Henry

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have an archery tag for a cow in Sept. I'll be sitting in a blind over water for sure.
    I certainly can't help much as far advice goes as I am just learning myself and I do not have much archery experience of any kind. When I was a teen, I'd take a recurve out into the hay fields to try and skewer some gophers, but I don't think I ever hit one. My ol' Marlin/Glenfield model 60 never missed much, so I never quite got my heart set on lurn'n that stick and string thing.
    Now, living in AZ, where opportunity to hunt can come quite infrequently. So, I have decided to take up archery, because Arizona has over the counter archery tags for deer.
    M700 likes this.
    Oh...Give me a home where the buffalo roam and the deer and antelope play.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    The more I practice, the Luckier I seem to get.
    M700 and sack like this.
    My Avatar is in Honor of my Great-Great Grandfather, Brig/Gen Dudley M. DuBose.
    Flag is the Sole surviving Battle Flag of the 15th Ga Infantry Regt..
    Commandant (Col.) 1861-63

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links