Happy Birthday, Fred Bear - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Happy Birthday, Fred Bear

Certified Gunnut
    In an old beaver swamp in upstate New York
    Member #
    Don't know if you will be able to read any of these Eulogy's
    But it say they can be used and reprinted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Travlin, locoman, olmarlin and 1 others like this.
    Supporter of USA Olympic shooting Team
    Since 1987.
    Team Oliver Tractor 550

Wrangler
    Member #
    Happy Birthday, Fred...you are missed.

redhawk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The only stupid question...is the unasked one.

Not all who wander....are lost.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by T.R. View Post
    Howard Hill promoted archery to a large part as well. Let's not forget Howard. Damon Howatt at Martin Archery was another great archer from this early era of the sport. But Fred Bear figured out how to mass produce quality bows for an affordable price. He carried an entire product line for archers and introduced better broadheads than anyone before him. Years later Fred Bear and Tom Jennings worked together to design the Whitetail Hunter which was the first mass produced and successful compound bow. Although slow by today's velocities, this famous bow downed quite a lot of game. All my hunting buddies bought this model during the early 1980's for its let off at full draw. My first compound bow was the Whitetail II and I still have it. This bow seems to show almost no wear after all these years!

Bear Archery builds a quality bow for an affordable price that typically beats the competition for features and quality. You can buy a Matthews bow for twice as much but you don't get twice the features if you know what I mean.

TR
    I remember Howard Hill and his demonstrations with his longbows. Amazing. Right up there with Fred . . . almost.

Gr8rtst.
    USAF 1973-77 - Served proudly & Honorably
    NRA Life/Endowment Member - American Legion member
    "A knight in tarnished armor " - born in the USA . . . so, I guess that makes me a 'native American'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    This thread just joggled my old, feeble memory, and if I remember correctly, and this could probably be "fact checked", by someone more learned than me, and I would stand corrected if wrong. But like many, Fred was my "hero", and I read everything I could on him. Fred shot a bow left handed, with a three finger draw, but was naturally right handed, the reason he shot "lefty", was because his sister cut the end of his right index finger off with a hatchet, by accident of course, so he taught himself how to shoot a bow left handed. Like I say if this incorrect, my apologies, and I stand "corrected"!! T Rex

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Howard Hill was the stand in for Errol Flynn in Robin Hood and became a friend of his. It was said in the audition that the competition archers were placing markers to hit the targets as they did that back then. Hill used his "split vision" system and emptied his quiver into the target before they got set up. Hill was hunter and I have his book "Doing it the Hard Way" or something like that. He was criticized as the elephant he shot on film was kneed by rifles. Bear shot his elephant legitimately. You see more trick shots with longbows as they are easier to shoot. Hill once said a recurve was too fast for him. I think subconscious reflex permitted a certain amount of error correction with a longbow. John Schultz was one of his disciples and also put on trick shooting exhibitions.

I have never shot a compound and never will.

DEP

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I am 56 and when I was 12 my mother took me to the local Bear archery store and bought me a Bear Bruin bow and a Western Cultry knife both new. Still have both of them. - Locoman

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Thanks for the post. I imagine most folks of my vintage that were interested in archery as a youth started with a Bear bow. I still have a couple and hunt with one of them to this day. I never met Mr. Bear, but met Dan Quillian, and have one of his bows. Another boyer and hunter who did a lot for the sport. I had an opportunity to hunt with G. Fred Asbell years ago, another inspirational archer, and still have one of Dan's longbows and two of Fred's recurves.

IMG_20190321_161524.jpg
    locoman, smoke-eater and olmarlin like this.
    JM "Jenuine Marlin"

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 256WinMag View Post
    Thanks for the post. I imagine most folks of my vintage that were interested in archery as a youth started with a Bear bow. I still have a couple and hunt with one of them to this day. I never met Mr. Bear, but met Dan Quillian, and have one of his bows. Another boyer and hunter who did a lot for the sport. I had an opportunity to hunt with G. Fred Asbell years ago, another inspirational archer, and still have one of Dan's longbows and two of Fred's recurves.

IMG_20190321_161524.jpg
    My main hunting bow is a G. Fred Asbell Colorado Bighorn. Second one I have owned. The first was made for me by Mr. Asbell in 1989, pulling 62#. After two shoulder surgeries, I needed to go down in weight, and was delighted to find a 46# Bighorn, used but not a mark on it. I should've also bought a lottery ticket on that day!
    256WinMag likes this.
    Team 45-70 #1860
    NRA
    United Bowhunters of N.J.
    Salem County Sportsmens Club
    Life Member, Past Chief Harrisonville Fire Co.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    His son, Mike, comes to our club for Friday BBQ's. Brought in a bunch of arrows and prize ribbons to give to the members.
    6'x8' two man rooms with toilets.
    23 Years in a Federal Penitentiary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links