Federal 30-30 170 nosler partition - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree183Likes

Thread: Federal 30-30 170 nosler partition

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambane View Post
    Thought I had to get back here, because I have backtracked 180° on the Prvi Partisan ammo I mentioned earlier.

I did use these during our winter and they did indeed look very promising.
    I however wanted to do more accuracy tests, chronograph a few and also try them on some larger game.
    So, on Saturday morning last I headed out to do just that.
    It was a steaming hot day here on the east coast (37°C and high humidity at 09:00 already) when I got to shoot the 30-30.
    After the 4th round I tossed all the remaining ammo in the bin.
    My Marlin was bucking like a mule and kicking me like a giraffe.
    Examination of the cases showed excessive flattening of the case head and primer and I had trouble extracting.
    The accuracy of the first three rounds were terrible too and I did not bother to check where the 4th had landed - I had the jitters by then.
    I cannot afford to go out hunting with ammo that is so sensitive to temperature fluctuations.
    Because of this I will not bother with them again.
    I apologize if I mislead anyone here - I will definitely have all my ducks in a row; be sure of my facts before I recommend anything in future.

(I will remain with the Winchesters 170PP's which again functioned faultlessly because I did some bushpig hunting during the afternoon with these ~ perfect as always!)

It was refreshingly soothing hooting the .375 Ruger after the bucking 30-30!
    Doing a little calculation I believe 37*C = 98*F. I have read where the African heat has affected more than one cartridge. Your Prvi Partison's may work well in cooler temps. Didn't I read that the 458 Winchester was loaded down once due to African heat. The 458 Lott was designed to counteract that. The British answer was to offer cartridges with a bigger case and lower pressures. Some claim the old 416 Rigby is still the best in its class because of that. Some used to handload summer cartridges and winter cartridges if you will. I have not worried about it as our deer season tends to be a bit chillier than your hunting season.
    1113181648c_Burst01 (1).jpgIMG_0082.jpgThat white stuff around the sleds is not from any MN salt flats. About 25* or so. Hodgdon makes powders like Varget they sell as "Extreme" because of that.

DEP
    Sweetwater and Sambane like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    The Prvi's were so bad I had to run back here and spill the beans.

Shooting distances of 180m to 250m is not uncommon at all.
    I try to not go beyond 220 with the 30-30.
    (I often get this all wrong, because I am not very good at estimating distances in undulating ground - work in progress! )

In dense bush here on the east coast, the Eastern Cape Province and the far north closer is more the thing 80m to 150m.

On the high veld, the Orange Free State grass palins (what the hell is this - I meant "plains" ) and the Northern Cape and Kalahari, the boys are not frightened by 300m and sometimes more.

My small caliber is a 6.5x55 Swede and it performs perfectly at the longer ranges.

Yup temperature here can be an issue. I have walked out at -12°C in the morning and at midday I can be staring at 25°C. My hunting ammo do not get special treatment ~ on a pouch on my side. I do at times have my rifle in my hunting backpack (I use a Vorn ~ made in Scandinavia somewhere), but mostly it is in my hands in the sun or cold.

The 416 Rigby certainly rates as one of two of my two favourite bigger calibers. It has never let me down, either in the heat in Mozambique or Zimbabwe or in the extreme winter's cold of the north western & northern parts of my country.

Vooch and northmn like this.

"met God en die Mauser"

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vooch View Post
    Their cases may play a big role.
    Check out this thread:
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the link Vooch.
    Vooch likes this.

"met God en die Mauser"

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    AS we use Fahrenheit my 25* was -18C. When below freezing it is cold regardless. I did not mean to sound like I was defending the Prvi as much as a comment. If they don't work under your conditions they don't work. I had a box of Winhester Super X that would not group and one case separated close to the shoulder. I was lucky and able to get it out with a 35 cal bore brush. But I would still hunt with Winchester over Prvi,
    As 100 meters is about 110 of our yards you are shooting farther than most do with the 30-30. If the range is known and one knows the rifle, longer range is obviously doable, although easier with a flatter shooting rifle if one misjudges. The 30-30 will really start dropping after your 220meters limit. I have an electronic range finder. While I have not scanned the range to a deer I have scanned land marks so I know the range when they come out. But I sit in a stand and wait for them to come to me. Read article where hunters that use the old BP Sharps in the old BP calibers like 45-70 use the range finders to make their shots. You walk and stalk your game more or less. When I tried stalking the shots were closer as forestry is the large industry in my area.
    100_0110.JPGGot this little fella at about 20' I walked a ways then stopped and he came running through the bush towards me. Wondered if he did not think maybe there was a doe in the area due to the noise I made. Had that happen one other time on a smaller one, but he was on a doe's trail as I had seen the doe.

I can't see that far in the brush but neither can they. One in a blue moon I got lucky.

DEP
    Last edited by northmn; 01-28-2020 at 06:32 AM.
    Vooch and Sambane like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    northmn, I usually size of my quarry in my 4x (fixed) scope to judge the distance.
    I taught myself with life-size targets (which we often use at my hunting association shoots) on the shooting range.

I am not too bad at it! ...
    Last edited by Sambane; 01-29-2020 at 02:54 AM.
    Vooch and northmn like this.

"met God en die Mauser"

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Sounds like a good system. I am not all that good at estimating range. Iwas playing with my range finder out of one of my stands and there was an oak I was lining up on. I was sure it was 80 yards at most, but the range finder said 100. I checked out the terrain and there was a small swale in between which did not permit any ground reference. Been fooled a lot by the range finder. Kind of like a compass in the woods. You know someone turned the world around but when you use the compass you come out where you should.

DEP
    Vooch and Sweetwater like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambane View Post
    Thought I had to get back here, because I have backtracked 180° on the Prvi Partisan ammo I mentioned earlier.

I did use these during our winter and they did indeed look very promising.
    I however wanted to do more accuracy tests, chronograph a few and also try them on some larger game.
    So, on Saturday morning last I headed out to do just that.
    It was a steaming hot day here on the east coast (37°C and high humidity at 09:00 already) when I got to shoot the 30-30.
    After the 4th round I tossed all the remaining ammo in the bin.
    My Marlin was bucking like a mule and kicking me like a giraffe.
    Examination of the cases showed excessive flattening of the case head and primer and I had trouble extracting.
    The accuracy of the first three rounds were terrible too and I did not bother to check where the 4th had landed - I had the jitters by then.
    I cannot afford to go out hunting with ammo that is so sensitive to temperature fluctuations.
    Because of this I will not bother with them again.
    I apologize if I mislead anyone here - I will definitely have all my ducks in a row; be sure of my facts before I recommend anything in future.

(I will remain with the Winchesters 170PP's which again functioned faultlessly because I did some bushpig hunting during the afternoon with these ~ perfect as always!)

It was refreshingly soothing hooting the .375 Ruger after the bucking 30-30!
    I got 2 boxes as free-bee's when I traded for my 336 of the privy ammo that is sold as Monarch brand The rifles action was hard to open from high pressure . I guess you can get something too cheap!
    northmn likes this.
    Taking things too serious is the last thing you want to do!!!!

I am not a fan of feeding wild animals unless of coarse I'm feeding them lead !!!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links