Federal 30-30 170 nosler partition - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: Federal 30-30 170 nosler partition

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    You have a lot of hogs in east Tennessee? I didn't know that. The march north continues.

You are right about shot placement. Just as an aside, I have a large caliber air rifle. We went to a farm to get a hog for butchering. Farmer picked out a 250 lb hog for us and wanted to see what my air rifle would do on a pig. The gun generates around 400 ft lb of energy, 350 grain slug at 750 fps. Anyway, we maneuvered the pig into an area and I had to make a quick shot into the top of its head. The slug went through the top of its head, out through the neck and buried in the ground about 6 inches. DRT. The farmer was surprised at how effective the gun was. As CWT says, shot placement. This is a gun that only generates 400 ft lbs vs the 30-30 that generates 1500.

A well placed shot with a gun of less power is worth tons more than a cannon. The other aspect is most can handle shooting a mild recoil gun more accurately because less fear involved. Sambane is testament to that. I heard tell of Eskimos killing polar bears with a .223, shot placement.

I think that 30-30 with a good bullet like the partition should allow you to kill pretty much anything you want. I will also say I have always been inpressed with the performance of Winchester power points, especially at their price point. They just plain work. Find one you like, learn its ballistics and go kill stuff.
    V
    northmn, CWT, Sambane and 1 others like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    We’ve had hogs around here in east tn forever. My neighbor killed 4 off his lease in deer season using an Ar chambered in 223 with 4 shots. All were shot in the shoulder/lung area, 1-2 bullets exited. He said the smallest was around 140 and the biggest was 220. He kills quite a few every year, always with an Ar.

I’ve only ever shot one and it was with archery. It was a very large sow. I hit her dead center of the chest as she came out of some ivy and it exited her hind end, took the fight right out of her.
    CWT, Sambane, miket156 and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Lightbulb

Shot placement is always the most important element, we all know that. However, we may not have a good choice or time to be particular in a close encounter, especially if the animal is headed right for you. Although I have come across Bears when out in the woods, the one encounter I had with a very large black bear it was heading straight for me, nose first, which was not the best angle. Animals don't always cooperate.

Mike T.
    Last edited by miket156; 01-23-2020 at 10:44 AM.
    leadfeather and Sambane like this.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Thought I had to get back here, because I have backtracked 180° on the Prvi Partisan ammo I mentioned earlier.

I did use these during our winter and they did indeed look very promising.
    I however wanted to do more accuracy tests, chronograph a few and also try them on some larger game.
    So, on Saturday morning last I headed out to do just that.
    It was a steaming hot day here on the east coast (37°C and high humidity at 09:00 already) when I got to shoot the 30-30.
    After the 4th round I tossed all the remaining ammo in the bin.
    My Marlin was bucking like a mule and kicking me like a giraffe.
    Examination of the cases showed excessive flattening of the case head and primer and I had trouble extracting.
    The accuracy of the first three rounds were terrible too and I did not bother to check where the 4th had landed - I had the jitters by then.
    I cannot afford to go out hunting with ammo that is so sensitive to temperature fluctuations.
    Because of this I will not bother with them again.
    I apologize if I mislead anyone here - I will definitely have all my ducks in a row; be sure of my facts before I recommend anything in future.

(I will remain with the Winchesters 170PP's which again functioned faultlessly because I did some bushpig hunting during the afternoon with these ~ perfect as always!)

It was refreshingly soothing hooting the .375 Ruger after the bucking 30-30!
    Vooch, Bearcat 74, M700 and 3 others like this.

" a tired warrior aims a little higher"

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Your not the first member to have problems with Prvi .30-30 ammo Sambane.

Vooch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    miket156, M700, Sambane and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Really?
    It was a shocker I tell you!
    Vooch likes this.

" a tired warrior aims a little higher"

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Good note, thanks Sambane.
    V
    Sambane likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambane View Post
    Really?
    It was a shocker I tell you!
    Their cases may play a big role.
    Check out this thread:
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Sambane likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I handload 2 bullets for my 30-30. For deer and light skinned game where my shots maybe in excess of 100 yards, I like the Hornady 160 grain FTX, over a case of Leverevolution powder. It groups like a dream, and both I and my friends have experienced many bang-flops, with good exit holes.

With heavy skinned and onery game, I like to load an Oregon Trail 170 grain LRNFPGC with Accurate 5744. I get around 2050 fps with no leading. The bullet is well constructed, and has a BHN of around 15. You'll git a little expansion, but the main draw to me of this bullet is not only its incredible accuracy, but also the bone crushing power against heavy game. I've seen this (how does my friend put it?) puny, obsolete round break both shoulders on a bull elk and keep on trucking.

I guess my point is if you need a tough bullet, don't discount hard cast lead. Oregon Trail was recently bought by rim rock bullets. The prices remain reasonable on their website. $30 USD for a 100.

30-Cal-170g-RNFP-GC-309.png
    VinceA, Sweetwater and Sambane like this.
    NRA Life Member Since Election Night 2008
    Team 45-70 #1184
    Proud Member of Uncle Sam's Confused Group Since 1998
    President League of Disgruntled O-4s, USCG Headquarters Chapter.

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    Sambane - great "sitting around the campfire exchange". I used to read a lot of African stories, but hearing you is so much more. Thanks!! You made a statement a few posts back about "shooting distances further than you normally read about on MO". Would you care to put some numbers out there. Average distance, furthest distance, closest disance, "normal distance". I grew up that lever guns were 50 yard rifles, so a bolt gun was required. At 9, I got a Mil-surp 6.5X55Swede, from the Husqvarna Vapenfabriks think I spelled that right. It had the sniper barrel and at 9, I was constantly carrying it upside down by the sling and banging the barrel on a rock. At 13, Dad replaced it with a Persian Carbine 8X57 that he sporterized. Both great rifles. Later in life, I stumbled onto a Ruger 77 MKII in 6.5Swede and loved it, though rarely used it and eventually sold it. Having discovered long range steel shoots, I attended the Happenz in Washington, the WDRA in Wyoming and latest has been the JYDRA in Texas. Featured are old single shots and old leverguns. I've shot stuff I'd never heard of from back in the 19th Century. My "greatest 50 yard rifle" is my great grandfather's '73 Winchester 38WCF 180gr Cast Bullet at 1100fps. It was pretty good to over 600 yards at the Happenz, but the winds of Wyoming at the WDRA stopped me at 500 yards and Texas just blew me off the range! I HATE THE WIND!! But I love to shoot, so there it is....Longest shot on game with a lever gun was a young cow elk, 4 year old, at 150 yards with grandfather's Win 94 in 32Spl 183gr cast bullet at 2230fps. I didn't lead her enough, she was running nearly broadside, and the bullet hit her on the hip joint, pushed the ball out of the socket and broke her leg just below the ball. 2nd shot to the head was lights out. Have to admit that my 35 years in Wyoming have yielded more game to my handguns than all my rifles put together. Most of my work has been in oil & gas and a lot of our gas fields are in the mountains or out in the plains. Always packed a revolver, usually a 41mag Ruger Blackhawk. Lots of antelope came home and several mule deer, all targets of opportunity.
    Vooch and Sambane like this.
    Sweetwater
    WDRA, Billy Dixon Em
    Team 35 Mbr #75
    Team 32 Mbr #27
    Team Old Pharts #226

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links