Remington Core Loct 30-30 150 gr. accuracy
Like Tree10Likes
  • 9 Post By Remus Redbone
  • 1 Post By white cloud

Thread: Remington Core Loct 30-30 150 gr. accuracy

Wrangler
    Member #

Remington Core Loct 30-30 150 gr. accuracy

This should perhaps go in a different forum, because it sort of contains two topics.

First, I have three lever guns; an 1895 in 45-70 and two 336s, one in 30-30 Win. and one in 35 Rem. The 1895 is a fairly new gun, 2005 model, but the two 336s are older. The 30-30 is a '74 model and the 35 is a '66 model. I've had the 30-30 four or five years, but I just got the 35 about a year ago. I've had a couple different scope setups on the 30-30 and recently had a scout scope on the 35.

A couple weeks ago (while browsing around a pawn shop), I got the idea for putting a period-correct scope on each of the two older guns. I found a Leupold M8 4x fixed 4 power scope in a pawn shop for $85 that went on the 35. This scope was in production from 1965 to 1979 per info I found online. I already had a '78 or '79 "made in Japan" Bushnell Banner 4x32 w/holdover dial in the elevation turret that went on the 30-30. My wife bought the Bushnell scope for me and gave $70 for it at Wal-Mart compared to the 3-9x32 Sportview which was about $35 at the time. $70 for a fixed 4 power in 1979 was a lot of money for broke newlyweds, but the scope shows the extra quality. It's as clear as the Leupold with a slightly larger field of view.

Sight-in for both was this weekend. (Nov. 23 & 24, 2019)

The 35 with the Leupold shot a 1.5 - 2.0" group at 100 yards using my reloads. I didn't have any shells loaded for the 30-30, but I had bought a box of Remington green / yellow box 150 gr. Core Lokts on sale at WalMart for $9.97 just a few weeks ago, prior to deer season. I shot a few of them to verify the red dot I had on the 30-30 was on, but I haven't hunted with the 30-30 at all this season..... yet.

This is where the topic changes; I've never been a fan of the Remington Core-Lokts, but at $9.97 a box for a gun that wasn't my primary or backup for this deer season, they were ok. I had always heard they are very accurate in some guns, but not all. My experience with them hasn't been good in the past. Today, I mounted the scope on the 30-30, did a poor man's boresight (look through the barrel, the adjust he scope to the same place) and headed to shoot. 1st shot at 50 yds was 1" low and 1/2" right. I adjusted and shot a three shot group that were all touching the center dot of the target. I was very happy with that.

I moved the target out to 100 yards and fired the 1st round. It hit 2" low, but on the vertical line. I adjusted up and fired a 3 shot group. I couldn't see for sure where I was hitting, but knew it would be close based on the 1st shot. The attached pic is what I found when I went downrange and looked at my target. I didn't expect the gun to shoot that well, but really didn't expect the Core Lokts to shoot that well even if the gun was perfect. As I said, I wasn't too high on the Rem Core Lokts based on past experience. I guess I have a gun that shoots the Rem Core Lokts well. I have shot this gun quite a bit with a couple different scopes and a red dot, but I shot my reloads or Winchester factory ammo. It has shot ok in the past, but not this good. I went to WalMart and bought a couple more boxes of Core Lokts....

IMG_2502_Original.JPG
    Last edited by Remus Redbone; 11-24-2019 at 11:33 PM. Reason: added detail
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Very nice.........

Deadeye
    Member #
    That is an awesome rifle and you are a good shot also. I have had good luck with Core Loct ammo in .270.
    jim716 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    my pre-64 Winchester 64 in 30-30 loves the Remington 150 gr core-lock bullets, I have a Redfield receiver sight on the 64 and 1.5-2" groups at 100 yards are common.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Looks like a winning combo to me.
    Big, flatnose bullets eliminate tracking.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Deadeye
    Member #
    I have used Remington Core Lockt ammo for over 30 years to hunt with , using a Remington 30.06.
    I have never had any kind of problem with it at all and it shoots very good groups.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Hard to argue with results like that. I would of bought a few more boxes too. I think Rem and Win make good ammo but Rem seems to be backing out of the ammo business, at least on supplying reloader components. One other thing I noticed in the past with Rem ammo, their advertised velocity isn't too accurate. We have 45-70 advertised to be 1300 fps and we got more like 1130 or so. That was out of a 24 inch barreled rifle. We chronoed a couple other Rem cartridges and all were slow compared to their specs. We think they are low because Rem was worried about liability of someone shooting them out of an old rifle and damaging it.

All that said, they do shoot good.
    V

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links