Chilean M95 Mauser Project in 35 Remington - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Chilean M95 Mauser Project in 35 Remington

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Etched the barrel today with my home brewed etching station. I also put another coat of Tung oil on the stock. Still waiting on my Brownells order to complete the open sights.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I also did a little load development this evening. I used LVR powder and the Speer 220 gr bullet. Best group was at 37.5 gr
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sambane and alphalimafoxtrot like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #

It Shoots, Its Accurate, It Puts Meat in the Freezer!

I will let the picture do the talking.

IMG_20191201_090408.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Great results, with a great "new" Chilean .35 Rem Mauser my friend! I really enjoyed your build-up thread and especially the detailed descriptions and photos. Now darn it you got me thinking of collecting stuff to build a bolt .35 Rem too!! LOL

take care and nice shooting

Adam Lee
    I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.

Team 35 Remington #754
    Team Rossi #80

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Thank You. I will update some more on the open sight install. I got them from Brownells about a week before deer season started. I did get them installed, but I am not happy with my first attempt.

On another note this is actually my second custom bolt action 35 Rem build. The first one I did and it was a lot easier to do and just as effective. I used a 243 Savage Axis rifle as the donor. I bought the barrel from E.R shaw. It was a 24 inch barrel to really get the speeds up. I also replaced the awful plastic stock with a Boyds thumbhole sporter. The barrel swap was pretty straight forward. The stock took more time as I really thinned it down. I used it to take a couple of deer and it worked well and was accruate enough for hunting. I beat the tar out of the brass though. I was definitely pushing it into 35 Rem +p territory and nipping at 358 win territory. That was in my envelope pushing days which thankfully passed pretty quickly. I no longer try and make a cartridge into something it is not. I also discovered that for hunting purposes on a short/medium range set up like a 35 Rem a 24 inch barrel made the rifle front heavy and not very adept in the stand or for woods carry. Open field work was ok, but the the range suffered. In response to what I learned on that build I proceeded with building out a 35 Whelen and then took it one more step and built out a 358 Norma Mag. Now that 358NM is an unholy thumper, but it is a true point and shoot 300 yard rifle.
    Last edited by 8uck5nort; 12-09-2019 at 08:04 AM.
    alphalimafoxtrot likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    112_0217.JPGNot as well done as yours but I built up this Chilean Mauser for my daughter. Picked it up at an auction for $150. It had been rebarreled to 300 Savage using a Remington 721 barrel. I gather some gunsmiths changed a few 300 Savage barrels out to 308 at one time. Anyway it was 24". The bolt was the old straight military bolt and I bought one where you could saw off the old bolt and screw this one on. D&T it for a scope and worked over the trigger and bolt. It was very hard to cock so I cut a coil or two off the firing pin spring. It still hits pretty hard. The trigger I just worked over so that it was usable. The military wood was so pretty I just fitted a recoil pad. She has used this rifle for some time and taken several deer with it. The scope is an inexpensive bubble packed 4 power that has held its zero for many years, As it works we have not fixed it.

DEP
    Steve_In and 8uck5nort like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    These SR Mausers make great little hunting rifles especially when re-barreled in the right caliber. The 7x57 is a classic for them, but the 300 Savage and the 35 Remington are also excellent choices. I had my 93 action done in 35 Remington and fitted with a receiver sight. Still doing some load work on it with 200 grain cast bullets.

8uck5nort, Jericho, twodot and 2 others like this.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Had a fellow gun head who was making plans for a 35 REM build on a 1910 Mexican Mauser several years ago, but at the last minute settled on a 257 Roberts

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links