Loading 101: Recognizing the 35 Remington's place in the scheme of things - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Loading 101: Recognizing the 35 Remington's place in the scheme of things

Deadeye
    Member #
    Interesting post to read. Ironically I've had this conversation over and over with others although not on the 35 Remington. Most were on the 223/5.55 NATO, 30-30 and 308. I know those calibers quite well and I having been hand loading since I was in my mid/late teens, some 35 years now, I have to shake my head over and over at many of the newer reloaders wanting hyper velocities or max velocity out of every cartridge they wish to reload. It's really too bad to develop such a bad and many times dangerous habit right from the word go.
    I started out back in the day, reloading 45-70, 40-60, 45-90, 44-77, 50-70, and 45-110's all black powder, cast bullets, and all original rifles. Thankfully I had a Grandfather and Father that loved to reload for the older stuff. Learned how to make brass from one caliber or basic to what we needed from scratch. It wasn't until the late 80's I got into more "modern" reloading.
    I've always, as taught, start low and work your way up, paying especially close attention to pressures and examining brass and primers. Oddly enough what I learned from reloading the originals such as rolling blocks, sharps, trapdoors, Hepburns, etc translated very well for me into modern high pressure cartridges.

This brings me to my 35 Remington Marlin. While it's a much newer one than many of you probably have, 1986 production, it still had a load it liked. I found mine didn't like Remington Core locks at all. It absolutely HATED 200gr RN Sierra Game Kings. I couldn't hold better than 1 1/2 inches at 50yds.

I had Chrono'ed all factory loads so I had a base line to go by. Using that data and when I found it liked of all things, Hornady FTX Leverevolutions, that's when I decided to start there. While it shot well @ .825 at 50yds I figured I was onto something. I bought the components to try and duplicate the load using as much of Hornady's products and that included Leverevolution powder, I began to work up a load.

I have to say though, this microgroove barrel left me not thinking I"d ever really get it to shoot exceptionally well but wanted a nice brush gun for that 100yd or less shot but honestly 50yd or less.
    What I came up with is a load that oddly enough was 90 fps on avg SLOWER than factory ammo and what a pleasure of a rifle I've got now to shoot. It's going to take it's first deer this fall as I have all the confidence in the world if I do my part it will also.

As mentioned by the OP, velocities are not everything. Every caliber and rifle it is in has it's place and limits. These are limits that quite honestly should NEVER EVER be exceeded, and really shouldn't even be approached. Hand loaders really need to let this sink in. Unless you have the proper equipment to test the ACTUAL pressures your loads are producing, it is an educated guess that could cost you more than a destroyed weapon. It could very well cost you your eye sight, body part, and yes your life. Not all rifles are the same. While they may be produced by the same company, same caliber, same configuration, chambers, throats, bolt faces, rifling, and bores are ALL just a little different. Enough so that what someone with just a slight variation can get away with you and your rifle may not.

Sorry for the long winded post. Now for a slight brag which honestly I never get tired of showing it off.
    50yds open sights Marlin 35 Remington with my hand loads.

leverlu-1s.JPG
    Last edited by VSala; 05-11-2019 at 03:00 AM. Reason: spelling and grammer
    Team 35 Rem #781 JM 336 in 35 Remington
    Team 30-30 #1438
    JM 336 in 30-30
    Team 38-55 #27
    Mdl 1893 in 38-55
    Team 1894 #586 JM 1894 in 44 mag
    Team 22 Mag #190
    XT-22M
    Team Henry #146
    Frontier 22LR
    Team Wheel Gun #131

Team Semi-Auto #75
    Team Old Pharts #389

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Now that's a group well worth bragging about. I wish the FTX bullet had a reputation for a bit more toughness, although it seems excellent for deer.
    VSala likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have used the FTX bullets on 4 deer and the factory load. They work like bullets should and the deer have been taken down. One deer ran qith a high lung shot but there was no real tracking involved as it dropped pretty quick. For me the 35R has been a good cartridge. A 200 yard shot is a long one and the FTX will work at that range. Have not shot a deer at that range with the 35R so am only speculating as to bullet perfromance. I have also only used it on deer. The 35R made its name if you will on hunters that took both black bear and deer. And maybe other bigger game.

As to what the OP wrote. I kind of upset a person on another talk site as he was claiming that the 336 was proofed in the 55000 psi range and there was no reason one could not upgrade a lot of cartridges into that pressure range. I called it idiot behavior and he did not read close enough and assumed I called him an idiot. I considered it just that particular behavior. Nor did I explain myself to him as others cut in and more or less supported me. They try to make the 45 Colt into a 454 Casul and so forth. With some exceptions as for rifles chambered in cartridges like the 45-70 or the 38-55 which were originally BP numbers and were chambered in some pretty weak actions, staying within the parameters of design is usually best.

Most "improvements" on velocity don't accomplish as much as many think. A 100 fps increase in muzzle velocity may translate to a 70 fps increase at 100 yards as an example, especially with blunt bullets. An increase in mv also means an increase of resistance as the bullet hits the air, such that it slows down a little quicker up front. If one wants 358 or 356 performance then get a 356 or 358 as the OP implies.

DEP

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    With you all the way on Marlin strength, northmn. It's not a BLR and never will be. Within its capabilities, it is simply elegant. Some of us have to become old guys before we see the beauty in this ... :-)

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I picked up a Savage 99 in 358 WInchester. I went and ordered a reloading book for that cartridge. It lists data as the same for both 356 Win and 358 Win. Yet only a tiny bit of research finds that the pressure with 358 Win is significantly higher than the 356 Win.
    SO you have to ask the question..
    Is the 356 Win data hot or is the 358 Win data low?

One reason I never load from a single reference source. I always feel better when another source lists the same results.
    Always better to carry "too much" gun and too many cartridges...
    Marlin 1894SS, Winchester 1886 Ultralight rifle, Springfield Trapdoor carbine, Sharps carbine
    I like big calibers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links