BLR vs. Long Ranger - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: BLR vs. Long Ranger

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by navajo View Post
    you beat me to it jay.
    i got 8 99's...two in 308. why bother with either...
    Yep!
    navajo and Texas Shooter like this.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I'll second that emotion. The early BLR were nice rifles but I couldn't get into them. The 99 always seemed to be a slicker package.
    Travlin, Texas Shooter and Ret_Eng like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I don't see too many 99s at the LGS. One of them had one in 300 savage when I checked out the trapper. They wanted $800 for it and it looked pretty well used.

I must say, I have a major soft spot for the 1895 guns. The Skinner sight on the trapper was not centered on the receiver, and the 1895SBL had a crooked front sight. I really thought Remington had moved past these quality issues.

The Long Ranger I handled had a great fit and finish with a really smooth action

I've yet to handle a BLR. They are hard to find locally.
    1951 Marlin 336SC-35 Remington-worked trigger, Skinner Express Peep, Skinner Fiber Optic Front sight

2014 Marlin Guide Gun-worked trigger, Vortex 1-4x shotgun scope

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Neil Jones does trigger jobs on BLR's. Pretty reasonable. I love my 358 Winchester.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I purchased an new Henry Long Ranger in 308 Win. right after they came out. Nicely balanced and very smooth action. I had both accuracy and ejection/extraction issues. Henry replaced the gun and the replacement had exactly the same problems as the first one. After spending a lot of money on different brands and weights of factory loads and shooting a lot of my reloads, I sold the gun back to Henry.

I think Henry is an honorable company and I would not hesitate to purchase another of their products should the need arise. I just wonder if they might not have all the bugs worked out of that Long Ranger. I sure did want to like that rifle.
    Travlin likes this.
    Prince Albert said it better than most - "The proof is in the puffin".

Freedom : Monday morning, just my airboat, 50 gallons of aviation fuel and a good machette. Left the truck 30 mile back. No telephones, no radio. Be home on Friday God willing.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I am waiting to find a BLR in 257 Roberts.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    My wife bought my henry for [email protected] 1 year ago. I took me a while to feed it what it liked. 42.5 grains varget 168 hpbt 2.775 col,trigger also needed some love 2mins with a stone and much better now. It will now shoot 1 MOA at 100 yards Never had a BLR but my uncle has several 99s I drool every time he brings the out. He loves to tease me,I asked him to put a price on the 308 and he laughed said I would have to wait till he was gone and i get them all.I hope he lives to be 100.Only have 2 uncles left and hes my favorite one that is left.
    Travlin and Texas Shooter like this.
    Durf
    Team 1894 # 384
    Team Rossi # 43

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    i was just looking at the long ranger in 6.5 creedmoor yesterday I just dont think it would be as accurate as my bergara.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladesman View Post
    I purchased an new Henry Long Ranger in 308 Win. right after they came out. Nicely balanced and very smooth action. I had both accuracy and ejection/extraction issues. Henry replaced the gun and the replacement had exactly the same problems as the first one. After spending a lot of money on different brands and weights of factory loads and shooting a lot of my reloads, I sold the gun back to Henry.

I think Henry is an honorable company and I would not hesitate to purchase another of their products should the need arise. I just wonder if they might not have all the bugs worked out of that Long Ranger. I sure did want to like that rifle.
    I don't really like hearing that. I'm glad they helped you as much as they could.
    1951 Marlin 336SC-35 Remington-worked trigger, Skinner Express Peep, Skinner Fiber Optic Front sight

2014 Marlin Guide Gun-worked trigger, Vortex 1-4x shotgun scope

Marlin Marksman
    Big island alaksa, when im not on the water.
    Member #
    I've got a Browning blr in 308(72 Belgium model). 150 federal soft points and moa all day looking, solid trigger, I did have to do work on it to greet everything to function correctly. Someone had taken it apart and removed all the take up out of the trigger. Then it wouldn't for every time and there was no safety. Cocked or resting on the firing pin. Took two caribou with it(loaned it out, I'm in the military and they didn't have a rifle) two shots, two caribou, two offers to buy the rifle.

I'm looking at getting another blr new take down stainless.

Henry's marketing keeps me from buying from them. Find which fires you best, shop around until you find the deal you want(if your not happy your likely to rebuy another rifle and spend more in the long run).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links