Marlin Firearms Forum banner

BLR vs. Long Ranger

14K views 49 replies 31 participants last post by  Sevastopol 
#1 ·
I've been itching for a new gun. I stopped at the LGS and checked out a new Trapper and 1895SBL. Both had imperfections from the factory.

I have yet to handle a BLR, but I do like the way a Long Ranger handles.

Either model would be a .308.

#39 ·
I agree the quality is no longer there. Neither the BLR or Henry have the workmanship their prices reflect. The original BLRs were nice rifles, were. The Bean counters have struck every where. You wonder how much more per unit it would it would cost to do it right. You would think it would be a savings in the long run by spending less in CS and more in QC.

The Rem 700 trigger/ safety issue could have be fixed for 5.5 cents a gun when it was IDed. They kicked it down the road till it cost them millions. Today I don't think there much difference in quality of materials by major manfs. The major difference is in CS. Some of the new guns should be sold as Gun Kits.

#40 ·
I don't know. I looked at several new Remlin's, Remington 7600's, and BLR's. The Browning's had the best fit and finish hands down.

The Marlin's were the worst, and both of them were more money than I paid for this BLR.

Reactions: marlinluvr
#43 ·
I enjoyed reading the comments here on this older thread. The decision was for the BLR and that would have been my very firm advice. I do like my 2 Henry BBs (.45 & 45-70), but simply don't like the styling of the Long Ranger. And, they are heavier than the BLRs I own.

I've got 3 BLRs, one steel receiver and two newer ones with alloy receivers. All are dependable, powerful and accurate rifles. .325WSM, .358 Win, .450 Marlin

M99s are nice rifles, but give me a M88 instead. A M94AE Trapper in .44mag moves in here early this coming week, along with Mossberg 464 with 16" barrel.

I also really enjoy my Marlins in .356, .375, .444 and 45-70.

I think that a lever gun in .308 with 20" barrel is a very versatile hunting rifle and I may well buy another BLR so chambered to replace one I sold about 20yrs ago. The OP bought himself a great rifle! Congratulations!

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel
Chair Luggage and bags Bag Purple Automotive tire
Furniture Wood Shotgun Chair Armrest
Air gun Downhill ski binding Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

Reactions: countryboy243
#44 ·
Nice rifles.
I have owned the following
Winchester 88 in 308
Savage 99 e in 308
Savage 99 f in 308
Browning blr in 358
I have not owned a henry long ranger but have shot one in 308
Henry had the best trigger out of all of them. My 99e didn't shoot that great but my 99f was a great shooting gun. Blt was a honest 3 shot moa gun with buffalo bore 225s. It didn't shoot hornady ammo nearly as well but was minute of deer to 200. Fit and finish on my browning was really good and trigger was ok. My win 88 was a recent purchase, got it for 725 with a leupold vx2 and leupold bases and rings. I haven't shot it much yet but it appears to be accurate and surprisingly actually has a pretty damn good trigger.
I liked all of them except the 99e which wasn't a very good shooter. If I was picking between the Henry and blr I would let it up to individual fit and if it was close I would go with the henry because of where it is made.

#45 ·
Older BLR. I have heard so many things about the trigger. Anyone know of a 'smith that works on them? I thought I'd bookmarked something about that and can't find it.

#47 ·
A good read for those who are not real familiar with the BLR and the various models.

Reactions: kobeinu
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.