• 4 Post By Scrumbag
  • 1 Post By Scrumbag
  • 1 Post By Mikemild13

Thread: Finding an Optic for a Chiappa Alaskan

Sidewinder
    Member #

Finding an Optic for a Chiappa Alaskan

Hi folks,

I have been enjoying my foray into lever gun shooting.

I chose a .44 mag Chiappa Alaskan with a 20" bbl as the take down appealled, it's a clone of a JMB design, it could be shot on "Gallery" (Read pistol ranges) here in the UK and I liked the idea of shooting more iron sights. (A scout Picatinny / Weaver rail should have meant an optic could be mounted / dismounted quickly to use the irons for fun

So, I duly purchased said rifle and and went hunting for an optic.

1st optic I tried was a Leupold VXR 1.5-5x33 Scout scope with a red dot. Looked good, appealed with illuminate reticle and mag range.

2 problems - really big so had to remove the rear peep on the scout rail and also eye relief was more "intermediate" @ ~6" so rather short to be practical

- Large

Had to remove rear peep (Red circle) - Also note the goofy ring spacing.

So, this really was not working.

Optic 2

I started talking to a lever gun nut buddy of mine. He had previously helped me secure a good deal on a Burris Fastfire III for my Benelli Supernova Slug Gun. He suggested that this might work on the .44 mag

So I tried it, and certainly not bad, fun shooting up close but not the greatest if you upped the range a little.

But, after talking to a buddy of mine who likes his levers, he mentioned he had a couple of the Leupold 2.5x28 scout scope on a 45-70 he had and liked it. I filed that little nugget away... anyway, last week I was perusing one of the main causes of my lack of savings and saw such a 2.5x Leupold scope NIB at the local auctions. I left a commission bid and happily found out I won it.

So, collected the scope and have mounted on the rifle in a pair of cheapy UTG "low" Quick Detach rings I had in the "parts bin"

Happy that I can keep the rear peep

Looks less top heavy and in mounting to lightswitch certainly comes up better.

Eye box is certainly more forgiving and easier to get a sight picture on tree at bottom of garden.

Now just have to shoot it (And maybe buy a nice leather butt cuff / cheek riser for it) but so far signs are good.

Scrummy
    Last edited by Scrumbag; 08-19-2019 at 12:37 PM.
    Team Browning #91
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #61
    Team Mauser #54
    Team Shotgun #83

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Found an old cheek riser in the garage. Not sure I shall keep it but will tell me what sort of height I need

Scrummy

Vooch likes this.
    Team Browning #91
    Team Mauser #54
    Team Shotgun #83

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Read a few of your posts and thought I'd chime in. The Leopold looks good. How's the eye relief with it being that far forward? I have the 357 Alaskan Takedown and so far love it. The best ammo I've found for it is Hornady Leverevolution. Manual says it's tuned for that round and of the few types I've used it is the most accurate. Sorry, no target pics but here's the rifle.

Chiappa 1892 Alaskan Take-down 1.jpg
    Vooch likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemild13 View Post
    Read a few of your posts and thought I'd chime in. The Leopold looks good. How's the eye relief with it being that far forward? I have the 357 Alaskan Takedown and so far love it. The best ammo I've found for it is Hornady Leverevolution. Manual says it's tuned for that round and of the few types I've used it is the most accurate. Sorry, no target pics but here's the rifle.

Chiappa 1892 Alaskan Take-down 1.jpg
    The Leupold is a 2.5x28 scout scope so has enough eye relief (a bit over 9") so works quite well.

Not tried leverolution in it yet. A shop nearby has some so will pick some up when I'm in the area next.

Scrummy
    Team Browning #91
    Team Mauser #54
    Team Shotgun #83

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrumbag View Post
    The Leupold is a 2.5x28 scout scope so has enough eye relief (a bit over 9") so works quite well.

Not tried leverolution in it yet. A shop nearby has some so will pick some up when I'm in the area next.

Scrummy

Thanks for the info. I'm not a very experienced scope user and have never used a scout scope. I did a little research after asking you about it and they look promising. Going to have to try one soon. I've always hunted with iron sights but getting older is making me need a scope.

I think you'll like the leverolutions. If you reload the brass is slightly shorter so you should only reload with leverevoltion bullets.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I've used 3X prism optics and red dots that were slightly magnified and they work great for target. The prism works better for low light and it has a small etched reticle that is also lit. Works great for hunting for me.
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Duke View Post
    I've used 3X prism optics and red dots that were slightly magnified and they work great for target. The prism works better for low light and it has a small etched reticle that is also lit. Works great for hunting for me.

Thanks for the tip. I just tried a red dot the other day for the first time. It was on a Glock but it sure did make for some fun shooting. I've seen those and prism optics on lever guns and always thought they looked funny. But, I thought that about regular scopes, too. I guess it's time I start forgetting about looks and start thinking about function. Are prism optics durable? They must be since they're used a lot by military.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links