Finding an Optic for a Chiappa Alaskan
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Scrumbag

Thread: Finding an Optic for a Chiappa Alaskan

Sidewinder
    Member #

Finding an Optic for a Chiappa Alaskan

Hi folks,

I have been enjoying my foray into lever gun shooting.

I chose a .44 mag Chiappa Alaskan with a 20" bbl as the take down appealled, it's a clone of a JMB design, it could be shot on "Gallery" (Read pistol ranges) here in the UK and I liked the idea of shooting more iron sights. (A scout Picatinny / Weaver rail should have meant an optic could be mounted / dismounted quickly to use the irons for fun

So, I duly purchased said rifle and and went hunting for an optic.

1st optic I tried was a Leupold VXR 1.5-5x33 Scout scope with a red dot. Looked good, appealed with illuminate reticle and mag range.

2 problems - really big so had to remove the rear peep on the scout rail and also eye relief was more "intermediate" @ ~6" so rather short to be practical

- Large

Had to remove rear peep (Red circle) - Also note the goofy ring spacing.

So, this really was not working.

Optic 2

I started talking to Anglia 2 on this forum. He had previously helped me secure a good deal on a Burris Fastfire III for my Benelli Supernova Slug Gun. He suggested that this might work on the .44 mag

So I tried it, and certainly not bad, fun shooting up close but not the greatest if you upped the range a little.

But, after talking to a buddy of mine who likes his levers, he mentioned he had a couple of the Leupold 2.5x28 scout scope on a 45-70 he had and liked it. I filed that little nugget away... anyway, last week I was perusing one of the main causes of my lack of savings and saw such a 2.5x Leupold scope NIB at the local auctions. I left a commission bid and happily found out I won it.

So, collected the scope and have mounted on the rifle in a pair of cheapy UTG "low" Quick Detach rings I had in the "parts bin"

Happy that I can keep the rear peep

Looks less top heavy and in mounting to lightswitch certainly comes up better.

Eye box is certainly more forgiving and easier to get a sight picture on tree at bottom of garden.

Now just have to shoot it (And maybe buy a nice leather butt cuff / cheek riser for it) but so far signs are good.

Scrummy
    Team Browning #91
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #61
    Team Mauser #54
    Team Shotgun #83

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Found an old cheek riser in the garage. Not sure I shall keep it but will tell me what sort of height I need

Scrummy

Team Browning #91
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #61
    Team Mauser #54
    Team Shotgun #83

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links