What 450 Marlin Variations?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By vt4ster
  • 2 Post By JoeJ

Thread: What 450 Marlin Variations?

Tinhorn
    Member #

What 450 Marlin Variations?

Getting around to doing some reading lately concerning the 450 Marlin rifle. Seems sad about it's demise. But then I lament about the entire Marlin brand. Pity what seems almost like a scam with Hornady cartridge design precluding much potential brass!
    My question today is just what 450 model variations existed. Whether if so, certain ones were favored over another. (I;m aware of the later Remington quality control debacle!) Last, whether all 450 models produced shared the cross-bolt safety design of which I'm not a fan!
    It appears lots been said here about the rifle but I find it yet intriguing.
    Concluding, I've been something of a Marlin rifle collector for decades. As the cross-bolt safety was introduced in latter eighties, my interest waned. Still have some nice ones from post WWII to 1982!
    Belated Happy New Year!
    Best!
    John

Adding one postscript re ammo. Isn't it a shame so many of the 'newer' cartridges have fallen by the wayside! Through much of the Twentieth Century, most availability was for decades. Nowadays, never to be sure!

Wrangler
    Member #
    I jumped on the 450M wagon about eighteen years ago and still a fan. Yes, all 450s have been produced after the CBS was introduced. I can still find and purchase ammo so it's not a dead cartridge yet.
    "That's all I've got to say about that"
    Forrest Gump

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Gotta remember that the gun companies are in business to sell new rifles, not to build or service old ones. There's only a limited market for the old classic calibers. But when they come out with a new caliber, their potential market is everyone.

Best way to sell new rifles is to convince shooters that they need a new caliber. After all, just about everyone already has a 30-06, 270, 30-30, etc. So they come up with a new caliber that's better than anything else ever was. That would be the 350 Legend, 6.5mm Creedmore, 300 Blackout, 450 Bushmaster, and many other examples, and get the gun writers to write about them.

The 450 Marlin was once one of those new calibers.

The writers are given the new guns and the ammo, and then sent to game ranches, or other hunts to try them out. And, surprise, they work on everything they're pointed at. Well, those same critters have been falling to 44-40s, 30-30s, 45-70s, 06s, and the like for more than a hundred years.

But after reading the articles, the shooters just have to get one of those new calibers and rifles. Well, gun writers have to eat, and they have to write. And after all, it's fun, going on those sponsored hunts.

When is the last time you read a piece where the writer didn't like the new caliber? That guy wouldn't stay employed very long.

So take the write ups with a grain of salt and perspective. Most of us already have a rifle that will take anything in North America. Personally, I'm at the point where I don't want to have to reload for any new calibers. If I buy something else, it'll be out of curiosity, or because I want to collect an old caliber, maybe 25-20 or some such.

The rifle companies have it pretty rough right now. Liability suits, falling rates of new hunters/shooters, the popularity of black rifles over bolt actions, to mention a few. And many new shooters are going for handguns instead of rifles, and those are polymer framed autoloaders, and not revolvers.

Same goes for ammo. If a caliber is less popular, it doesn't get produced very often, maybe only once a year just for hunting season. They know that not much of it will be sold, and the dealers don't want it sitting unsold on their shelves. This includes calibers like 35 Rem, 45-70, 7mm Mauser. And it's expensive!! I bought a two boxes of Rem 444 Marlin when I transferred in my rifle. He had 3 boxes on his shelf that he said were sitting there for years. They were 49.00 a box.

If you plan to keep your 450 Marlin and also plan to shoot it, you better get into reloading. While you still can, buy twice as much brass as you think you'll ever use for as long as you plan to shoot your rifle. That way, you'll be able to offer DIY ammo to any prospective buyer. Otherwise, your 450 Marlin becomes a safe queen, or a receiver for a project gun.

Good luck.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Lightbulb

The best thing about the 450 Marlin is the Cartridge design. It's better than other calibers of Lever Rifles because the cartridge has better feeding capability. Its less prone to "Marlin Jams". The only fly in the ointment is getting ammunition for it. If you don't reload, you can always get a local gun store to reload brass that you have already fired through the rifle.

The 450 Marlins I have seen for sale on occasion are usually pricey. AFAIK, no one is making any more of them.

Mike T.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    450 mxlr 24" stainless PG lam stock
    450 mr 22" blued PG walnut
    450m 18.5" blued straight walnut both ported and non ported
    all cbs as stated above

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    MR 22" is hard to find

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Here is an unfired 450 JM, 18.5” w/180 rounds for sale. https://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_Ge...0_Marlin_.html
    Team 45/70, #1956

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    That Hornady 350 grain FP commercial round for the 450 Marlin is a brute. I still have several boxes of it but prefer shooting my reloads but if an elephant escapes a zoo somewhere and decides to raid the War Department’s flower garden, I’ll turn to those 350 FP’s and let the neighbor shoot ‘um.
    Waffletop and rapidroy like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Do we have any idea on how many 450 were even made?

I have written down a statement from a Ex-Marlin employee....308 Marlin..20,000 + rifles made.
    338 Marlin....about 5000 made.

450 Marlin.....??

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I'm with you JoeJ - I have plenty of boxes of the gummy tips (and they are wicked for sure) - I also have plenty of boxes of 350FPs and they are just awesome. I stopped loading years ago - just don't shoot that much any more - so I keep an eye out and whenever I see a bunch of 350 FPs for sale, I jump on them. I think I have enough to last me till I'm dead now, so good to go.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links