Marlin Firearms Forum banner

450 Marlin discontinued...threads merged

70K views 149 replies 74 participants last post by  bkg1956 
#1 ·
Not listed on the online catalog for 2011... Any other news? I still see it on the web sight.

#3 ·
Re: 450 the way of the dodo?

Wonder Why

If it is true… well I guess it just did not sell.

It was meant to fill the “gap” between the 45/70 and the 458Win… maybe there was no niche there.
Maybe if they made the case longer… or enabled an extra 100Ft/sec…
I have seen more than one excellent cartridge fail to capture the public…

Well… I have mine and a lot of brass… and the others don’t know what they are missing!

#5 ·

Yeah, it is offical... it is gone. This fellow shooters, is a real shame.

The sole purpose of the 450 Marlin was to give 1895 shooters what they deserved out of the 45-70 Govt. Not a big deal if you reload the 45-70 but a huge performance improvement in store shelf ammo.

A lot of guys cannot evaluate the 45-70 Govt vs. 450 Marlin because they have too much an nostalgic attachment to the 45-70 Govt cartridge. I have both and don't feel a thing toward the background of either. What my experience has taught me is that If I truly needed a big bore, it would be the 450 Marlin. What stands out most is the smooth cycle of ammo that the non-rimmed cartridge delivers. If I had a client archery hunting the big bears or any other close in encounter with dangerous North American big game, I would want that slick cartridge cycling from magazine tube to chamber and out the ejection port. The only other Marlin that comes close is the early 444 that used a lifter on the carrier to lay the cartridge near horizontal as it entered the chamber. That is nirvana.

I'm lucky that I have a 1895MR, the full length rifle, as not many were made. I was offered a NIB "G" back in 2000 from the guy I bought my 444P from. He only wanted $350. I wish I'd bought it now. I'm sure I will add one to my Marlin line up as soon as I find the right one.

#136 ·

The sole purpose of the 450 Marlin was to give 1895 shooters what they deserved out of the 45-70 Govt. Not a big deal if you reload the 45-70 but a huge performance improvement in store shelf ammo.

A lot of guys cannot evaluate the 45-70 Govt vs. 450 Marlin because they have too much an nostalgic attachment to the 45-70 Govt cartridge. I have both and don't feel a thing toward the background of either. What my experience has taught me is that If I truly needed a big bore, it would be the 450 Marlin. What stands out most is the smooth cycle of ammo that the non-rimmed cartridge delivers. If I had a client archery hunting the big bears or any other close in encounter with dangerous North American big game, I would want that slick cartridge cycling from magazine tube to chamber and out the ejection port. The only other Marlin that comes close is the early 444 that used a lifter on the carrier to lay the cartridge near horizontal as it entered the chamber. That is nirvana.

I'm lucky that I have a 1895MR, the full length rifle, as not many were made. I was offered a NIB "G" back in 2000 from the guy I bought my 444P from. He only wanted $350. I wish I'd bought it now. I'm sure I will add one to my Marlin line up as soon as I find the right one.
What was the year/s the .444 was offered that
used a lifter on the carrier to lay the cartridge near horizontal as it entered the chamber.?
I'd like to know for future reference.

#10 ·

temmi said:
Oddly enough Ruger stopped offering the 480R and now this...
You hit the nail on the head. My 2 favorite hunting rounds, handgun (7.5" SRH) & rifle.

Will it go the way of the Dodo? Not bloody likely... 8)
The 480 has a cult following 2nd to few & I believe the 450 will keep the same.
Most of the owners of both are probably handloaders so as long as reloading compenents are available it will be around. I also believe factory ammo will be around for a long time to come.

#16 ·

I know the reason for the axe was low sales volume but even though the 45-70 is my favorite cartridge I will always contend that the .450 is a superior cartridge. I could have built Morty the Critter getter out of a 45-70 but in all the playing that we did the .450 just edged it. If I carry a lever gun after another water buffalo it will be my .450. reflex264

#17 ·

Ranch Dog said:

Dog you hit the nail on the head. I have always contended that the .450 feeds better and loads easier than the 45-70. reflex264

#20 ·

lever4ever said:
The .450Marlin made the first move. :'(
Must be feared that the whole company will follow. :eek:
Thanks to Cerberus and Remington! :mad:
Is your cup half full or half empty?

I hate to see the 450 go, I had just recently been enlightened as to its advantages over the 45-70, they go a bit beyond just slicker feeding IMO (I believe the greatest advantage to the 450 is that its a straight case...no case bulge from seating an oversize boolit)

With that said...if the 450 had to go so Marlin could survive, then so be it.

Ya never know...it may be back (some rounds tend to do that)

#26 ·

Sniper said:
I think it's coming back in 2012 as 450 Remington Magnum ;)

I just pick up another 300 new 450 Marlin brass ;D
It is beyond me why they never did market the 450 as a magnum because I would bet that it would have sold like hot cakes. ;D