• 3 Post By vt4ster
  • 1 Post By Bill2311
  • 1 Post By Peke

Thread: 450 Marlin Questions

Tenderfoot
    Member #

450 Marlin Questions

Hi to everyone from Melbourne, Australia

I'm about to start a relationship with a Win 94 Trails End Take Down in 450 Marlin. Researching the internet has brought home to me just how few reloading options there are for this caliber and how difficult it is to get them. It doesn't worry me so much about how difficult, but the conflicting and restricted information does. It would appear to me that the only unloaded cases available for reloading is Hornady"s 8693 in packets of 50. I have not been able to find out the length of these cases, are they 2.10 inch as per SAAMI or are they shortened to accept the Hornady Leverlution gummies? If they are shortened it would be a deal killer for me although perhaps I could persuade Bertrams to make some. It came as a unpleasant surprise to find out Starline doesn't manufacture cases for this caliber.

Another issue is reloading dies, I know Hornady make a good 3 die set which is expensive ($160AUD) but available to me, but I would prefer to use some of the dies from my 45-70 Lee 4 die set. I'm hoping I can use the powder through the expander die, I know I can use the seating and factory crimp dies.

Any help or suggestions from Forum members would be very welcome as I have hit the information wall on these issues. Probably the have been covered in past posting but I haven't been able to find the exact data I need.
    miket156 and Boris like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    That hornady brass is full length, and welcome to MO
    Peke, no primers and cajun56 like this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thank's for that vt4ster, it's a big relief, so I can continue with my purchase. If anyone knows about the adaptability or not to 450 Marlin of the Lee powder through expander die for 45-70 I would appreciate the feedback.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Site Contributor Gunfighter
    Member #
    start on the low end and work it up. The Gummie don't work for me, you have trim your brass down to the point that's all your bass can only be use for gummies.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    If you want to shoot the gummy tips you need to shorten the cases or just buy used LE brass. I decided to just use full length (standard) cases and shoot a different bullet. I like the Speer 300 grain jacketed bullet. Or the Hornady 350 grain flat point. Just be careful as Speer make two different 350 grain bullets. One is a longer nose taper and is too long for lever actions.
    You need the correct die set. And shell holder.
    cajun56 likes this.
    Always better to carry "too much" gun and too many cartridges...
    Marlin 1894SS, Winchester 1886 Ultralight rifle, 94 Legacy 44 mag
    Springfield Trapdoor carbine, Sharps carbine
    I like big calibers

Sidewinder
    Member #
    IIRC, the purchased brass is the regular 2.085". The loaded gummy tip brass is cut short to whatever works. I haven't measured it, but it is shorter than the .450M brass they sell.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    G'day Peke, i see Magnum Sports have a special on these. Is that where you got yours?
    Say g'day over in the ANZMO section, we've been way too quiet ! Welcome.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thank's for the info on brass length and gummy tip projectiles although I'm inclined not to use them. At the moment 350gn jacketed flat nose at about 1900 fps might be in my comfort zone. In the long term I'll probably move to Buffalo River cast coated projectiles. Their 255gn projectiles have been excellent in my 38-55.
    You got it right Boris, although I haven't received it yet, fingers still crossed. I believe a couple of guys from WA got in a bit earlier than me and while I was procrastinating bought up all the brass and reasonably priced dies currently available. I have been able to order some Hornady dies from Brownells in the USA for only about $10 aud extra and am negotiating will Bruce Bertram for a run of 2.10 inch 450 brass. I didn't know if this was a ANZMO issue or not but will certainly catch up. Thanks for the welcome.
    Boris likes this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Correction, I meant Hawkesbury River projectiles not Buffalo River.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I don't know if you can use Gunbroker in Australia given your firearm laws, but used brass is on there all the time.
    Both length cases.
    Always better to carry "too much" gun and too many cartridges...
    Marlin 1894SS, Winchester 1886 Ultralight rifle, 94 Legacy 44 mag
    Springfield Trapdoor carbine, Sharps carbine
    I like big calibers

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links