New Here/Hand Gun Optic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: New Here/Hand Gun Optic

Tenderfoot
    Member #

New Here/Hand Gun Optic

Hi there! Just ordered my 1895SBL and am considering putting a Leupold FXII 4X28 on it with medium rings. Is this a bad idea? I saw something about 18" of eye relief which seems like it could be manageable but I have no idea. Appreciate any help.
    HIKayaker, 94win30wcf and mattusmc like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Welcome to the Forum from central ND.

Sorry but I can't answer your question as I have no experience with that rifle or scope - but someone on the Forum will be along to give you some good input sooner or later.
    iliketogofast69 likes this.
    This is the day which the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

Team: .35 Rem #803; Team .30-30 #1462

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Welcome to MO from SW Ohio.

Sounds like you want to mount a handgun scope forward of the receiver in a scout rifle position.

Realize that long eye relief scopes have decreased field of view. This gets smaller and smaller with increased magnification. That's why Cooper's specifications for for his scout rifle called for a scope not more than 2.5x magnification. That's about the maximum that one can use and a) keep both eyes open b) have a reasonable field of view c) acquire the target quickly.

Mounted in the standard position, over the barrel, a 4x scope will have at least twice the field of view as it will have in the scout position.

This is the reality for handgun mounted scopes too. I have a Leupold 2-7 mounted on a S&W 629 and at 7x it's all but unusable.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thank you so much - this is helpful.

Would something like [0] work? I realize I might be wasting every setting above 2.5x if it's mounted ahead of the receiver..

This might sound a little stupid but I'm also trying to find a *silver* scope and it really doesn't look like they're that many options right now. I'd consider any recommendations you guys have.

[0] https://www.leupold.com/scopes/handg...gun-2-5-8x32mm
    Last edited by iliketogofast69; 05-23-2020 at 12:43 AM.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    If you want to use scout setup, I would recommend Leupold 2,5 FX scout or Freedom 1,5-4 scout. They made that 2,5 FX with silver finish earlier, maybe you can find one.
    https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle...ectedSku=58810

I bought that Freedom 1,5-4 scout myself and couldnt be happier. It has long eye relief and I can shoot both eyes open easily even with max magnification.
    https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle...scout-1-5-4x28

Scout scopes has narrower field of view, but more generous eye box for fast targeting. And I know people use pistol scopes with rifles, but that wasnt option for me, since I red from Leupolds site they dont recommend that (Q&A section).
    Timrekah1 and ranchhand like this.
    Team 45-70 #1998

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Welcome from Michigan.
    Team 45-70 Member #946
    Team Old Pharts #160
    Team 1894 #350

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Silver/stainless scopes are not as popular as they used to be. Fewer are being sold and not as many are being made. They are harder to find. Best bet is probably used.

I think you'd be better off with a fixed power than a variable where you won't use the top half of the settings. Simpler is always better.

I don't know if the field of view is different between handgun and scout scopes of the same magnification, but I'd go with the scout if I could.

Will you be buying the scope, or do you already have it? The mounting base and rings should accommodate either. If you already have something, I would at least try that.

Many folks like the scout setup. Many others don't. It was more talked about 10-15 years ago than it is now. And more options were available then. A few companies came out with rifles, but I get the idea that it popular for a while but it didn't catch on and now is waning.

I'll probably ruffle some feathers here, but... Cooper's idea was for a military/law enforcement application, like for reconnaissance away from backup support. The scout rifle had to be able to do multiple tasks acceptably well. But it is not the best design for any of them. Needed to be fast handling for close, short, light, powerful enough to reach to 300-400 yards or so, scoped enough to augment accuracy, but not so much power that quick target acquisition was compromised. It will do all this pretty darn well, but it is not the best in any category. It was not designed specifically for hunting. It will work for hunting, pretty darn well. But I think receiver mounted scopes work better for me. Flexibility, handling, balance. Others will differ.

Hey, it's your rifle. If you want to try it, do so. If you think it looks cool, that's reason enough.

FWIW, just a bit off topic...
    It's a myth that iron sights are faster than optical. The correct optical sight for the job is always faster than mechanical sights. Look at the competition shooters. If their class allows optical sights, that all use them. Rifles, shotguns, handguns. There's a reason for that.

Good luck.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    welcome from upstate ny

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Welcome to the forum. On my SBL I mounted a Nikon 3-9X40. It's not silver but my aging eyes stated that I needed some glass. It has plenty of eye relief and while hunting I use it on 3pwr all the time. When at the range I use 9pwr and it comes in pretty handy. Try and stay away from handgun scopes for your rifle. I tried one of mine on a rifle once and did not like the outcome at all.
    Bill
    Team 45-70 #1569

Freedom is earned and given to all by the men and women who have served for our country.
    God Bless America

Banned
    Member #
    I only have handgun scope and it needs to be at arms length to see through it, not ideal for a rifle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links