45-70 Plinker Grade Cast Bullets - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: 45-70 Plinker Grade Cast Bullets

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Oddly enough I actually have some I bought for 10mm workups. Thanks for the tip !
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat 74 View Post
    HS6 has been excellent for low velocity loads with 300’s and 350’s for me. 14grs and 13.5grs

Be watchful of you use pistol powders for double charges
    Bearcat 74 likes this.
    Team .45-70 #2011

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin39noa View Post
    Oddly enough I actually have some I bought for 10mm workups. Thanks for the tip !

I got the loads from the low velocity data link. They’re fun to shoot

My 10mm is addicted to Longshot and 180 XTP’s.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Yeah I read up on the Levergun Studies website about alternative powders, I think I'm going to buy a 2 lb container of Trail Boss so I can build some loads that might actually be fun to shoot. My new Delta Elite LOVES the 150 Nosler and BE-86.
    Team .45-70 #2011

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I’ve never tried Trail Boss but a friend of mine loves it big much. I think he eats a bowl of it every morning before he loads it into cases.
    Marlin39noa, Officer29 and mikej like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HIKayaker View Post
    These are about the least expensive cast bullets you can find. Gardner's Cache. GARDNERS CACHE'

I've been pleased with them.
    That is just across the Indiana/Illinois border. I may have venture into enemy territory to visit my sister and pick some up on the way.
    Marlin39noa likes this.
    Steve_In
    People say money can't buy happiness But it can buy me a Marlin and ammo to shoot in it, dies, powder bullets...

Team Southpaw #9 TEAM 1894 #400

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    When I started loading it was on single stage. I was taught by my brother to charge all of my cases with powder then use a light to check powder levels. Double and no powder show up real quick.
    I still do my single stage loading that way.
    25/20Marlin and ranchhand like this.
    Steve_In
    People say money can't buy happiness But it can buy me a Marlin and ammo to shoot in it, dies, powder bullets...

Team Southpaw #9 TEAM 1894 #400

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I have 5 molds for 45/70. I used them a good bit for original rifles. I got to shooting the 322gr Gould Express HP, an old Ideal/ Lyman design. It also shoot well in 1895 Marlin. In fact it’s lightest cast that shot decent in 1895. I have a 360gr RN that is easy on shoulder too. Got it same time as Gould 322gr and never did much with it.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Yeah I read up on the Levergun Studies website about alternative powders, I think I'm going to buy a 2 lb container of Trail Boss so I can build some loads that might actually be fun to shoot. My new Delta Elite LOVES the 150 Nosler and BE-86.

FWIW, I like Trail Boss very much, I have liked it for almost a decade now. When it first came out, only CowBoy shooting loads were suggested. With a load formula of ...max load=powder to bottom of boolit...min load=subtract 30% from max... NO COMPRESSED LOADS!

I have used that load data to work up loads with straight wall and bottleneck cases, and have never been disappointed. Bottlenecks are a little more work to get a accurate load, in my rifles, but it's do-able. I keep a minimum of 10 to 20 pounds of TB on hand. My 444, loaded to the bottom of my cast 300 gr, is healthy, but not hurtful. Trail Boss is a little dirty, it is a little smokey (in 45acp, 45Colt, 38spl, 44mag), and is a little smelly, but, the ease of loading and the safety feature of never having enough room in any caliber for a double charge, makes it a fun and comfortable powder for me.

Back to OP subject. I tried buying cast Boolits many years ago, before casting myself, but found poor selections of sizes for 444 microgroove. I also found, most production Boolits would lead most of my barrels. I figured out that the "hard lube" most/all casters use, just wasn't to my liking. That is my only complaint with purchased cast Boolits. I tried contacting different casters to try and buy Boolits with NO LUBE, but, none would accommodate me.

So, after a long time researching, I put together a "soft lube" that I can shoot hundreds of rounds and still have a VERY shiny bore!

jmo
    Steve_In likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #

FWIW, I like Trail Boss very much, I have liked it for almost a decade now. When it first came out, only CowBoy shooting loads were suggested. With a load formula of ...max load=powder to bottom of boolit...min load=subtract 30% from max... NO COMPRESSED LOADS! I have used that load data to work up loads with straight wall and bottleneck cases, and have never been disappointed. Bottlenecks are a little more work to get a accurate load, in my rifles, but it's do-able.

I keep a minimum of 10 to 20 pounds of TB on hand. My 444, loaded to the bottom of my cast 300 gr, is healthy, but not hurtful. Trail Boss is a little dirty, it is a little smokey (in 45acp, 45Colt, 38spl, 44mag), and is a little smelly, but, the ease of loading and the safety feature of never having enough room in any caliber for a double charge, makes it a fun and comfortable powder for me.

Back to OP subject. I tried buying cast Boolits many years ago, before casting myself, but found poor selections of sizes for 444 microgroove. I also found, most production Boolits would lead some of my barrels. I figured out that the "hard lube" most/all casters use, just wasn't to my liking.

That is my only complaint with purchased cast Boolits.

I tried contacting different casters to try and buy Boolits with NO LUBE, but, none would accommodate me. So, after a long time researching, I put together a "soft lube" that I can shoot hundreds of rounds and still have a VERY shiny bore!

jmo
    Marlin39noa likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have found that with my cast rounds I have been very successful with IMR4198. With my heavy 465gr cast bullet it loves H335. I cast my own and have for years for all my handguns. Sorry I can't help you out as far as where to go for bullets but the one down South sounds like a good bet.
    Bill
    Team 45-70 #1569

Freedom is earned and given to all by the men and women who have served for our country.
    God Bless America

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links