Trapper Survival Carbine Must-Haves - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: Trapper Survival Carbine Must-Haves

Wrangler
    Member #
    Some British officers successfully used African calibers, privately owned, against the steel protections of enemy snipers in 1WW, for their own survival.
    Widening the application of the concept of survival,
    considering and working on ammo more decisive against engine blocks than against the big five it could be more likely to make sense to me, today,
    but it probably depends on the likely theater of use of each, ( in my case about my nightmares only, I hope )
    Marlin39noa likes this.
    ...next thing you know they'll want your pistol and your tobacco...

Sidewinder
    Member #
    IMO the 45-70 really shines with about a 400 gr. bullet. Maybe a bit heavier even, but then you sacrifice a bit of velocity. Don't have to push them too fast to be effective. I would be likely pick something a bit lighter, but I can't fault you for the reasoning.
    But I will add, that you need to be a ways up there to run into polar bear. Do you regularly get into the Northern parts of Newfoundland? I went to Tuktoyaktuk, and did not get to see any polar bears. Probably the furthest South you would see them is in Manitoba.

I did bring my 45-70, but I had my .44 magnum handier, and wouldn't be unarmed if a big bear pushed the boundaries...
    Marlin39noa likes this.
    Profanity is a poor substitute for education and applied logic.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I'm not all that surprised the Brit officers toted a hard-core rifle. Heck, Sir Winston packed a Broomhandle in the Boer War. If I have to worry about killing an engine block I'm probably in a place I don't want to be !
    Quote Originally Posted by wilecoyote View Post
    Some British officers successfully used African calibers, privately owned, against the steel protections of enemy snipers in 1WW, for their own survival.
    Widening the application of the concept of survival,
    considering and working on ammo more decisive against engine blocks than against the big five it could be more likely to make sense to me, today,
    but it probably depends on the likely theater of use of each, ( in my case about my nightmares only, I hope )
    wilecoyote likes this.
    Team .45-70 #2011

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    neither the wwI German Snipers, not even behind their ballistic steel plates, against some custom Holland & Holland !
    Marlin39noa likes this.
    ...next thing you know they'll want your pistol and your tobacco...

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I'm working on a bambi load with a 300gr Hornady right now and a hard cast 325 LFN to hopefully get "some" range out of this shorty. I m looking at several vendors who make HC 405's. Work in progress...IF I ever go my Alaskan will be under my arm for sure !
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
    IMO the 45-70 really shines with about a 400 gr. bullet. Maybe a bit heavier even, but then you sacrifice a bit of velocity. Don't have to push them too fast to be effective. I would be likely pick something a bit lighter, but I can't fault you for the reasoning.
    But I will add, that you need to be a ways up there to run into polar bear. Do you regularly get into the Northern parts of Newfoundland? I went to Tuktoyaktuk, and did not get to see any polar bears. Probably the furthest South you would see them is in Manitoba.

I did bring my 45-70, but I had my .44 magnum handier, and wouldn't be unarmed if a big bear pushed the boundaries...
    Last edited by Marlin39noa; 05-21-2020 at 07:20 PM.
    Team .45-70 #2011

Sidewinder
    Member #
    TLO Paracord sling got here, set it up as a hasty. Hopefully I never have to use the cord for medical or trapping purposes but at least I have the option if needed.
    Team .45-70 #2011

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin39noa View Post
    I'm setting up my new Trapper as a (oversized) survival carbine and I'm keeping it pretty simple. I have a paracord sling coming and have done a lever wrap. No plans for optics right now but I'm wondering if you guys who run these guns in the field have suggestions. I thought about a ammo carrier on the stock but I don't want to expose it to severe weather and I found a bandoleer I like the looks of. What am I forgetting or lacking ?

I have a pre safety in Marlin444, that I changed out the sights to suit me, for packing into bear country in the southeast Az Ciricahua Mts. I pulled the rear sight and installed a XS Sight Systems scout rail. It has been on my shortened (16" barrel for horse carry), for well over a decade and has not moved! I tried a few different sights until I came across the SEE ALL NIGHT SIGHT. It is a day/night non battery fiber optic that has a single reticle, like a red dot sight. In other words, no front sight to line up with the rear. It has been on the furthest/front end of the scout rail for close to the ten years, and it has not moved.

I highly recommend this set up for those who are not Marlin purists your mileage may differ.

This video shows the See All Night Sight on a handgun, which makes it seem like very unstable viewing, and it can be. Not so, with it on a rifle. Same can be said of a Red Dot Scope, on a handgun, compared to a rifle set up, imo.

On a side note;,... if you're interested,... I pack horses into the back country. One thing a packers learns, is, "ounces turn to pounds" when packing, which can fit a survival situation, imo. I replaced my wood stock with a hollow synthetic stock, cut a lot of ounces out. Cut the barrel down to 16" for a few more ounces, saved. And, finally, removed the wooden fore end, and left it bare, similar to an original Henry 1860's lever rifle (pic link below). I never did like the feel of a lever rifle's fore end stock, just a personal quirk.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-...l-henry-rifle/

Marlin sacrilege? Maybe, but I believe everyone who owns a Marlin lever action, should make it their own.
    Last edited by ranchhand; 05-22-2020 at 03:56 PM.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    This is a fascinating subject. I enjoyed everyone's take. But, a couple of people made fine points.
    1. What is the purpose of you survival? Militarily taking back America, worldly disaster survival, invasion from foreign country or just plane roughing it trip.
    2. Why on earth would anyone in the lower 48 not in Grizzly country even think of carrying a heavy ass 1895 around in the bush. Hell no. Won't be me lugging that thing around.

i could go two or three ways:
    1. Small light weight single shot 22. Reason food. Most game you will encounter is small. For stealth a 50 count of cci 22 shorts. One of my single shots weighs less than 5 lbs. I would carry a very large pistol of .41 mag or better. I have a custom job that has killed deer and hogs. Others have killed buffalo from around the world with it including cape, it's killed brown bears also. I have an ammo pouch full of them on my belt with a Bowie knife. Hunting knife in a small pack and a pocket knife in my pocket.
    2. The opposite way- large rifle small pistol. Form the Ruger carbine in 44 mag is a great package. Mine have been tough and never failed. They are light and compact. Nothing in North America can stand up to 4 of my hand loaded 270 grain jsp. In Arkansas 240 grain will do fine. The pistol would be a 22 WRM may be the PMR-30, it is light and accurate, as long as I only load 25 in the Mage it never failed, a Ruger Super single six or my little Bearcat. I've killed snakes squirrel and rabbits with the 4" barrel. The bearcat is very light weight and mine is 60 years old and accurate. You can carry lots if ammo with one and not go hungry.

Icould do do this all night.
    Officer29 likes this.
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Hi Duke ! I will leave the militant activity to the military even though I have some black guns. The Marlin I got for 4 legged food or irate large animals. I have the .22 Ruger MK II for small critters and a multitude of large caliber pistols for a belt gun. I went with the KISS principal for the Trapper, no scope or RD to fail, ability to load light or heavy as needed. Nuthin' fancy, short, potent and easy to tote.
    Da Duke likes this.
    Team .45-70 #2011

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Ah wish I had a Savage model 24. That is a survival tool.
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links