Trapper Survival Carbine Must-Haves - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: Trapper Survival Carbine Must-Haves

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Most of us aren’t going into battle. How many rounds does average hunter carry in the woods while hunting, deer or bear? How many hunters want bling on rifle that will hang up in brush? Of course none of this makes a difference if rifle is for recreational or range use.
    I had two US cartridge boxes for 45/70. They were black leather with wooden blocks drilled for cartridges. They weren’t in real good shape but they bought real good money at auction. I have a hunter belt cartridge pouch, think it holds 10, 5 on each side. I have never used it. I load the rifle, and carry another 5 in pocket. On levers I never load more than 5. If I’m way out and packing I will carry a whole box of cartridges. I can count the times I have fired more than 2 times at one animal.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I have always been an advocate of carrying extra ammo. Depending on your outing the amount may vary. You cannot have too much unless you are weighted down to where it is just stupid. Just my opinion.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have a custom made sling and butt cuff on my SBL. The sling carries 3 and the butt cuff carries 5. I carry 4 in the rifle. I carry 5 in a little pouch on my belt. But so far I have never fired more than two shots at anything I have been hunting. But I have always carried an excess just in case I guess.
    Bill
    Team 45-70 #1569

Freedom is earned and given to all by the men and women who have served for our country.
    God Bless America

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Never underestimate the Mk 1 pocket. Especially in a tough, outoor jacket. Also, a simple tough bag on a cross strap.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tranteruk View Post
    'Need?', I dont believe you need one. However for me there are a couple of good reasons to have one fitted. First, like you I mostly remove the lever at home, mainly for cleaning. It is non the less the most removed screw and even with care can get worn and scratched a bit. I can keep the original safe and unscratched incase I sell the rifle on. It also makes a good spare, never underestimate the ability to loose screws.

Second, the oversize screw has a large slot, and thus can be removed with pretty much anything from a coin to a washer. Handy in the field, at the range and a good SHTF mod. Consider, many stoppages require the removal of the lever to clear, and I have done so at the range a couple of times. But then, I do shoot almost every week. Or used to before the virus closed the local ranges.

This all all makes sense. I’ve never had to remove a lever in the field, but I’m sure it is something that happens.

As far as a “survival” gun, the Trapper is a great place to start. If I were shopping for an 1895 now, it would be at the top of my list. If it’s a “grab it and run” type gun, I’d have an extra 5 rounds on the butt stock, the para cord sling and then keep it next to my “go pack” that has extra ammo, water, energy bars extra ammo, raingear, first aid, headlamp etc in it. I don’t like adding a bunch of extra crap to a carbine. The whole point is to keep it clean, simple and as light as possible.

The one thing that bugs me though, is the dovetail filler on the barrel. I own a Henry that came with a Skinner receiver sight from the factory, and somehow Henry managed to figure out to NOT dovetail the rear of the barrel on these models. I know it’s a big ask, but MAYBE Remington can figure it out? It’s not like they are using the 16.5” .45-70 barrels on anything else that requires a rear dovetail! The filler they chose looks dumb. At least one can get the RPP filler and make it less obvious of a screw up...
    Marlin39noa likes this.
    JM 1895GS with RPP Stuff
    336 BL with 1-4x20 Nikon (The “2020 .30-30”)
    Henry BBSC .357 with Skinners
    Henry SGC with Skinners
    1911 built Winchester ‘94 in .30 WCF

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Maybe I am missing something but a survival rifle that you want as a grab and go gun leaves me with the questions of what conditions you are trying to survive and where are you going after you grab.
    tranteruk and Drm50 like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Lever Jac View Post
    Maybe I am missing something but a survival rifle that you want as a grab and go gun leaves me with the questions of what conditions you are trying to survive and where are you going after you grab.
    A good point, but I suspect most people have no clear idea of bugging out, what would be needed and why. Maybe because there is no 'one fits all' plan. I think a general plan of action, that can be adapted for various scenarios is as sensible, or practical as it gets.
    ranchhand likes this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Lever Jac View Post
    Yeah, I agree. I set all my guns up for hunting. If I end up hunting “zombies” or any other nonsense, I’ll be very surprised, but prepared somewhat
    JM 1895GS with RPP Stuff
    336 BL with 1-4x20 Nikon (The “2020 .30-30”)
    Henry BBSC .357 with Skinners
    Henry SGC with Skinners
    1911 built Winchester ‘94 in .30 WCF

Tinhorn
    Member #
    The idea of having a little pouch on the slings is that, if you only pick up the rifle you have the bare necessities, a small, light, pocket knife... some rifle cleaning gear including oil, a way of starting a fire, a couple of spare rounds, and a small compass (I have seen people turned around in bush, with a road only 500m away, but they lost sense of direction). I agree that you should be carrying most things on you, however, the reference was a survival rifle; under those conditions having a few items to maintain the firearm, a few extra rounds, and some simple necessities, makes sense... . People aren't perfect, some will just pick up their rifle, to go and have a quick look.
    For the survivalist out there, I saw a most relevant comment on a site... when you bug out you are basically a well prepared refugee!
    ranchhand likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I believe being able to pull the lever in the field has some merit.
    Quote Originally Posted by tranteruk View Post
    'Need?', I dont believe you need one. However for me there are a couple of good reasons to have one fitted. First, like you I mostly remove the lever at home, mainly for cleaning. It is non the less the most removed screw and even with care can get worn and scratched a bit. I can keep the original safe and unscratched incase I sell the rifle on. It also makes a good spare, never underestimate the ability to loose screws.

Second, the oversize screw has a large slot, and thus can be removed with pretty much anything from a coin to a washer. Handy in the field, at the range and a good SHTF mod. Consider, many stoppages require the removal of the lever to clear, and I have done so at the range a couple of times. But then, I do shoot almost every week. Or used to before the virus closed the local ranges.
    tranteruk likes this.
    Team .45-70 #2011

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links