Trapper Survival Carbine Must-Haves - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: Trapper Survival Carbine Must-Haves

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    You will be sorry with that midget mag if zombies are involved. On the bright side you won’t drown with 45/70 bandoleers wrapped around you if you have to cross a creek.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I'm hoping they march single file....
    Team .45-70 #2011

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    You will be sorry with that midget mag if zombies are involved. On the bright side you won’t drown with 45/70 bandoleers wrapped around you if you have to cross a creek.
    I have 2 leather belt carriers. 45/70, and another for .44 Magnum. Works for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by teckhardt View Post
    So can someone explain the “need” for these? I’ve been shooting lever actions for going on 35 years and have never once needed to remove the lever anywhere but on my bench at home.
    JM 1895GS with RPP Stuff
    336 BL with 1-4x20 Nikon (The “2020 .30-30”)
    Henry BBSC .357 with Skinners
    Henry SGC with Skinners
    1911 built Winchester ‘94 in .30 WCF

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    So can someone explain the “need” for these? I’ve been shooting lever actions for going on 35 years and have never once needed to remove the lever anywhere but on my bench at home.
    'Need?', I dont believe you need one. However for me there are a couple of good reasons to have one fitted. First, like you I mostly remove the lever at home, mainly for cleaning. It is non the less the most removed screw and even with care can get worn and scratched a bit. I can keep the original safe and unscratched incase I sell the rifle on. It also makes a good spare, never underestimate the ability to loose screws.

Second, the oversize screw has a large slot, and thus can be removed with pretty much anything from a coin to a washer. Handy in the field, at the range and a good SHTF mod. Consider, many stoppages require the removal of the lever to clear, and I have done so at the range a couple of times. But then, I do shoot almost every week. Or used to before the virus closed the local ranges.
    Last edited by tranteruk; 05-18-2020 at 02:43 AM.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Pouch that slips onto sling for a SMALL pocket knife (Gerber 6580512A works for me), a pull through (like .303, old style - light but serviceable) with some flannel (service flannelette), a small bottle CLP, and a small container waterproof matches. Pouch sits on bottom sling. There should probably room for two rounds in pouch, too, in a small clipseal, you can wrap the flannelette around them (if you have two extra rounds, you're in front - survival), and a 2cm compass (check you get one that actually points North!).

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Do people have any idea what a bandoleer or 45/70 weighs? Like the guys in spaghetti westerns that have two crossed. That stuff is fine for parades but no use in the bush.
    The US Army issued Prairie Belts in the late 1870's/1880s. Holds 54 cartridges.
    https://stewartsmilitaryantiques.com...29.archive.htm
    CobraBG, Marlin39noa and ranchhand like this.
    Always better to carry "too much" gun and too many cartridges...
    Marlin 1894SS(2009), Winchester 1886 Extra Lightweight rifle(1910), Springfield Trapdoor carbine(1880), Sharps carbine(1863)
    I like big calibers

Wrangler
    Member #
    some custom sewing work could adapt to the sling the pouch originally used for the mil 3-pc cleaning kit, or something alike,(not the best, but better than nothing) modified/shortened to the dimension better suited to the rifle.
    ...and no: not boresnakes, chains, fishing nylon, etc.
    in some dark side of my mind, or of the field, I must have at hand something rigid to insert in the barrel, and the ability to remove the bolt without tools (see lever pommel screw of above).
    in my book, I can only allow a possible cleaning kit attached to the rifle belt, if the grab'n go weapon offers no other accommodation. spare ammo I would prefer them on me, few or many.
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 05-18-2020 at 02:48 PM.
    Marlin39noa likes this.
    ...next thing you know they'll want your pistol and your tobacco...

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin39noa View Post
    I'm setting up my new Trapper as a (oversized) survival carbine and .... I'm wondering if you guys who run these guns in the field have suggestions. ....

I DON'T run my rifles in the field, only at the range, so maybe I'm not qualified to comment.
    But I am a long-time backpacker and know what hiking is about.

I keep my rifles simple without a lot of stuff added.
    I like the idea of paracord slings, but I go with a simple adjustable nylon web sling - I like the 'Outdoor Connection Super Sling 2'.
    i get rid of the metal sling swivels and add lightweight polymer ones like 'Outdoor Connection Brute'.

I do have ammo carriers that can go on the buttstock, but I would only use one if I anticipated needing extra round quicker than from my pocket of from my belt.

I also think that extra stuff like firestarters etc are better off in a pouch on my belt (Maxpedition makes a variety of pouches that aren't too big), or in my pocket.
    And a daypack is always a good idea in the field for a jacket, raingear, water, etc...

I didn't see any pics on this thread, so here are two:
    (the two ammo carriers to the left are cheap ones from Amazon)
    IMG_6987.JPGIMG_6990.jpg

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2311 View Post
    The US Army issued Prairie Belts in the late 1870's/1880s. Holds 54 cartridges.
    https://stewartsmilitaryantiques.com...29.archive.htm
    That's a nice belt. I would like to find a new one preferably in leather.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links