Which scope base/rings for the 45/70Gov?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Which scope base/rings for the 45/70Gov?

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Which scope base/rings for the 45/70Gov?

Re - scope bases for the Marlin 1895.
    I usually only use steel Warne rings on my bolt rifles these days... I use to use alloy Gamereaper & alloy Talleys but I did get slight scope shift in a 9.3x62/Swaro Z6 combo with Gamereapers.

On this rifle I will be using a light Leupold(1-4x20) scope with 405grain Woodys loaded to about 1700/1800fps.
    Gamereapers or Alloy Talleys?, but it’s hard to beat steel bases & mounts.

Which bases & rings do you lads recommend?

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I put Leupold lows on mine.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I have recently began using Warne rings but I have never had issues with properly lapped and installed rings. Even cheap alloy ones.
    Bearcat 74 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    Warne bases and your choice of top mount ring. The Warne Weaver style bases are the lowest I know of. On my 45-70 guide gun, I have a Warne base and old traditional Weaver bent metal strap rings in an effort to get my scope as low as possible. My scope is a Leupold FXII 2.5x20.
    rx7dryver and Vooch like this.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Remus Redbone View Post
    Warne bases and your choice of top mount ring. The Warne Weaver style bases are the lowest I know of. On my 45-70 guide gun, I have a Warne base and old traditional Weaver bent metal strap rings in an effort to get my scope as low as possible. My scope is a Leupold FXII 2.5x20.
    That is what I like about Warne. You can remove the rings and use your irons.
    M700 likes this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I have Warne bases and rings on most of my rifles and ML's - the only one that does not wear Warne is my Forbes 24B and that is because it came with Talley's. I primarily use the Warne QR rings, I have a couple sets of standard Warne rings but really like the utility/versatility of the QR's.
    Vooch likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I used a DNZ med on mine. Worked perfect.

Wrangler
    Member #
    As an example to the OP, I have a Warne base and Weaver metal-strap wrap-over rings on a gun the same u812 has pictured. The scope I have mounted is similar (Leupold FXII 2.5x20). My scope looks to have the same ocular bell as the one shown, but mine does not have a power adjust ring. To give you an idea how low I was able to get my scope with the Warne base / Weaver rings, I ground a shallow “U” shape in my hammer spur and re-blued to insure clearance of the ocular bell when the hammer was at full drop. I probably didn’t absolutely have to do that, because the spur didn’t touch the scope when the hammer was at full drop, but it was so close, I was afraid if the hammer spur got slightly loose, it would hit the scope. The hammer spur is sort of an expendable / replaceable part in my estimation, but I still took the time and effort grinding the “U” shape in the spur and polishing it out. It took bluing well, and kinda looks like shape of a shallow buckhorn sight without the center notch.

The scope tube is .089” (height of the Weaver rings) off the base and the turret housing of the scope is less than 1/16” off the Warne base. The scope is as LOW as low as possible, which is exactly how I wanted it, and with the top-mount rings, I can still take it off shoot iron sights, the put the scope back on and it will return to the same zero.

Quote Originally Posted by u812 View Post
    I used a DNZ med on mine. Worked perfect.
    Vooch likes this.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

Wrangler
    Member #
    I use the one piece DNZ Game Reaper on my 1895. I've had it on there for past 6 or 7 years and it has never moved. I also use the same DNZ mount/ring on several other rifles (bolt action and lever action) and none of those have moved. I think they are great product and very reasonable price.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Love the DNZs.
    Mine has been on for years (like Marlin 1 and u812). My 1895 wears a Burris 3x9x40.
    The medium one fits great; no movement and they fit all Marlin BB levers.
    My 1894S in .44 wears a 2x7x35 Burris with Burris "zee" low rings and Weaver bases. That is a hot setup IMVHO.
    I haven't even thought about changing. Low overbore sweetness like a big ol' peep on 2x.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links