Muzzle brake
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Muzzle brake

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Muzzle brake

Is it worth while to put a muzzle brake on a 1895/45-70?
    PoopDeckPappy likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    IMHO, with MB on big bores, you'll achieve a lot more noise than recoil reduction.

If you're looking to reduce recoil, nothing beats weight to soak up recoil and add a good magnum recoil pad.

That said, welcome to Marlin Owners.

Jack
    M700, turbobug, Ret_Eng and 5 others like this.
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I agree. Lower pressure cartridges like the 45/70 do not benifit much from them. I have a porter model and although I do not mind it I would prefer an unported model.
    JACKTW likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rx7dryver View Post
    I agree. Lower pressure cartridges like the 45/70 do not benifit much from them. I have a porter model and although I do not mind it I would prefer an unported model.
    A muzzle brake only makes the sound louder. I see no use for spending money on one, unless you really want one.
    (Same applies for painting your rifle some outlandish color.)

At 45/70 velocities the benefit of a muzzle brake is negligible. Save your money,
    Money is better spent buying something like a good Skinner Sight, or having a competent gunsmith do an action job on the rifle.
    cajun56 and Gareth Holland like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Welcome from SW Ohio.

Muzzle brakes work by redirecting the propellant gases. The higher the pressure, the better they work. 45-70s work at about 1/2 the pressure of the bottle neck magnums. There is little gain in controllability/recoil reduction and big gains in noise.

And I'll say it for everyone else... The 45-70 and a heavy bullet don't need speed to be deadly. At 1400 fps it will kill anything in North America.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    If the idea is to reduce felt recoil, I've found little that's better than a Pachmayr Decelerator butt pad. The only benefit (and it's purely anecdotal) of porting is a possible reduction in muzzle jump in these shorter carbines.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Personally never had an issue with recoil, but some might. Maybe slighter built shooters or maybe some with medical issues. Joint pain, old injuries. For me at least, extra weight helps. Thank you McDonalds.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Gunfighter
    Member #
    While I'm a firm believer in muzzle breaks and recoil reduction, I believe firmly in what HIKayaker says with the difference and effectiveness depending on velocity levels. I have the ported JM and I'd have to shoot it next to a non ported one to see if I could feel a difference. You can shooter smaller projectiles and greatly reduce the recoil that the shooter feels; or you can load them down with your preferred bullet style. 45/70 is very versatile in it's range of projectiles.

One of the best options you can do if the recoil seems to be too much is look into a good recoil pad. I've only used the Pachmeyer Decelerator pads on my rifles but there are others that could be better from what I've read; Kickeeze and Limbsaver. Other option is to look at the ammunition options and find a smaller projectile. The Hornady loads with the 325gr have always seemed a lot more mild and enjoyable to shoot. Reloading is a saving grace in options but there is plenty of factory ammo that you can shop around for and detail to your needs.
    Gareth Holland likes this.
    Team 45-70
    Team 1894
    NRA Lifetime/Endowment Member
    USMC 0331

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thanks for all the input. I am going to buy a Marlin 45/70 very soon. I had a muzzle brake installed on my Ruger American in 300 Win Mag and it reduced the recoil at least 50%. I did suspect however that a muzzle brake on the 45/70 would not be worth while. I haven't shot the 45/70, it's new to me. I am a new member and so far this seems to be a very friendly forum, thanks again.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I spend my money these days getting barrels threaded to put things on them and make them quieter not louder. Bonus result of putting a muffler on a gun is reduced recoil.
    ironhead7544 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links