Project Alaska - Stage II: Custom Work
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: Project Alaska - Stage II: Custom Work

Sidewinder
    Member #

Project Alaska - Stage II: Custom Work

My 1895G (JM era) is now with Jerry Dove in WV for custom work. Prior to taking it to him, I did a lot of research and planning for what I might want him to do to this nice gun.

When I uncased the gun, Jerry's first comment was "This is a really nice gun", and right after that: "Has it ever been fired?" I told him I could find no evidence of it ever being shot. He inspected the bore and bolt face, finding no brass traces or other signs of use. Pristine. He began asking me about the work, and I started at the muzzle:

Shorten the barrel down to 16-1/4". This removes the existing porting. I could have him add porting to the shortened barrel but not sure it really matters that much. Re-crown to factory profile.

Remove buckhorn rear sight and do a nice custom fill on the dovetail slot.

Plan for either Skinner or XS aperture sight rear, and new blade w/ramp up front. Currently favoring Skinner winged rear, or Express.

Full Takedown conversion with associated changes to magazine tube and cap. New stainless follower.

Complete action smoothing.

Trigger work to improve crispness and break at about 3.0 lb. Slightly round and smooth tail of trigger.

Ranger Point Loop Lever.

Pachmayr Decelerator Pad and shorten length of pull by 3/4".

Refinish: Receiver, barrel and magazine tube will be Cerakote in Magpul OD Green with semi gloss finish.

Refinish: All other parts except bolt will be Cerakote Graphite Black.

Other possibilities at this point: Scout scope rail on barrel. I had little interest in this option until Jerry handed me a custom Marlin with a scope mounted. I was impressed with how little the scope affected balance and handling. Still not sure I want the rail though at a $150 option. Stock bedding: He did not think this was necessary, and I could find no reason to disagree.

So the main thing I have to decide on soon is which set of sights. Also, porting or no? The scout rail decision can wait a bit longer.

I'm very interested to hear your thoughts, feedback, suggestions and whatever you like (or don't) about the project. My inspiration for the finished look is this gun image:

Example of work at Dove's Custom Guns:

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Sounds like a well developed, and useful plan.
    Only thing I can disagree with is your choice of color on the Cerakote.

Vooch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I would like to purchase one of the .45-70 Dark rifles and shorten the length of pull by 2”, smooth the action and have it Melonited for corrosion resistance.

Looks/sounds like expensive work but that photo!

Exquisite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Skinner sights. But I would choose the Alaskan. It blends and flows perfectly with the 336 like it is part of the receiver. A true work of art. Also no porting or scout scope for me
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I have to agree on the cerakote color( matte black or blued for me, but that’s a personal preference) and the scout scope. I think you said your objective was backup or bear protection while bow hunting in Alaska. For that I think a good aperture or peep sight would be just as fast and accurate, more bulletproof and more ergonomic ( lighter also). As far as porting goes, I really don’t think it would be necessary for a gun that hopefully won’t be shot a lot. The gun in the picture is a work of art.
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830
    1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    You have a good plan and an excellent gunsmith, by reputation.

I agree with the comments above about the OD ceracote. Rather makes it look unhealty...

Personally, I wouldn't bother with porting your rifle--unless you think you won't have enough muzzle blast at 16.25". Try it without. Porting can always be added later. My son is an audiologist, and I'm concerned for your hearing. You'll be wearing hearing protection at the range, but probably not in the woods.

But, hey, it's your rifle.

I look forward to the pictures of the completed project.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    If ever needed for stopping an irate bear, a ported barrel might offer an advantage in recovery time for multiple shots if necessary.
    On the other hand it's another place for moisture to get into the bore.
    I have no idea how much muzzle blast would increase.

Vooch

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Reading these comments with great interest and appreciation.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by LeatherBark View Post
    Reading these comments with great interest and appreciation.

Do realize you may end up regretting that!

Vooch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Wrangler
    Member #
    I like your overall plan. I don't mind OD green, and while it is certainly unconventional on such a traditional long gun style, when the gun wears walnut furniture it works for me because of how it might blend into a background of wood and leaves.

And, as much as I love! any Marlin 1894/5/336 with a curved stock and lever, I am smitten with my stainless JM era GS. The fact that it shoots true is just another reason.

Looking forward to pics! of the finished product!
    shawlerbrook, Padraig and vt4ster like this.
    Team .45-70 - #1978
    Team 1894 - #415
    Team Wheelguns #137
    Team Rossi - #48

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links