Project Alaska - Stage II: Custom Work - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: Project Alaska - Stage II: Custom Work

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceA View Post
    I think I'd like the two tone black and gray, but it's your gun. Is your plan to use this for hunting or self defense. Just curious.
    V
    My previous guide gun was mostly gray (Parkerized) and walnut. It was an awesome looking gun but I have little desire to revisit that look. Still, nothing ruled out at this point.

This gun will serve dual duty. It's obviously a defensive piece and I'm building it with that as the top priority. It will also serve as a backup weapon while bowhunting. I may decide to kill a moose with it this year. I'll be hunting solo for 2 weeks and I really need some moose meat for my gang.

M700, shifty, VinceA and 4 others like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Maybe a brass colored receiver. Make it look like a Henry
    LeatherBark and shawlerbrook like this.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.Ē ó William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Deadeye
    Member #
    I have a Skinner Express and Bear Buster pairing on my GBL. Some file work was required on the front, but I think you'll be very happy with them.

One other thought for you or others that may be considering modifications. I really like the looks and understand the practicality of the 16 1/2" barrel, but if your future plans include Canada, anything under 18" is prohibited. Someone please chime in if I'm mistaken. I'm not sure about laws regarding transport.

Fantastic pictures! The quality of pictures some of you post is so impressive. I'm doing well if I can take a picture of a rifle without my feet in the bottom of the frame.

Keith
    bryan alder, M700, Vooch and 3 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Two week solo hunt for moose, I hope you get one but don't envy you portaging out a thousands pounds of moose solo. Might want to have the gang on speed dial.

I understand the take down feature for ease of transport but some places, Canada, might have issue with that too. Too easy to conceal. Looks like you bow hunt with a recurve, do you carry the carbine across your back?
    V

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Like some others here, I'm usually more of a traditionalist, but think you're choice of the OD green with the contrasting color will look fantastic! Very much lookin' forward to the finished pics!
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.Ē
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Your pictures are making me yearn for another trip to the greatest outdoorsman’s playground on earth !
    Vooch, LeatherBark and kah64 like this.
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830
    1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kah64 View Post
    I have a Skinner Express and Bear Buster pairing on my GBL. Some file work was required on the front, but I think you'll be very happy with them.
    I feel pretty confident in my choice of Skinner sights. I might have my gunsmith do some minor rounding and reshaping of the rear sight corners and edges, just to match the feel of the gun when it's complete. Which reminds me....

Part of the work involves doing some 'melding' (think minor relieving and smoothing) of the receiver edges and angles, which makes the gun feel a little smoother in the hand. Also, the Decelerator pad will have the toe bobbed some and significant rounding all around to help it shoulder more cleanly with hunting clothes on. This image demonstrates that pretty well:

kah64, Vooch and shawlerbrook like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceA View Post
    Two week solo hunt for moose, I hope you get one but don't envy you portaging out a thousands pounds of moose solo. Might want to have the gang on speed dial.

Looks like you bow hunt with a recurve, do you carry the carbine across your back?
    V
    I've done a successful moose solo in the recent past. I was alone for 15 days and killed a mature bull late in the hunt. I've taken enough moose (and butchered them all) to know what a workload that is. Solo is very intense, but ultra satisfying. Not easy, but then the good things in life often take lots of effort.

I mostly hunt with a takedown longbow these days. I haven't carried the short rifle yet...while actually bowhunting...and I'm busy working on that plan. I always wear a medium sized hunting backpack (Mystery Ranch Pintler) and I'm going to see if I can rig a good way to carry the short rifle externally on the pack.

Last edited by LeatherBark; 01-14-2020 at 05:32 PM.
    shawlerbrook and Officer29 like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by LeatherBark View Post
    Well guys....

Iíve probably been a little too locked down on winged sights. After thinking this through Iíve decided to eliminate wings and go with an exposed aperture. My gunsmith likes XS sights but my preference is a Skinner....either Express or Alaskan. Iíll replace the front factory sight with a Skinner Bear Buster ramped blade.

Iím going to skip any porting. Recoil doesnít worry me but excess muzzle flash and blast is decidedly unpleasant.

As for finish colors: The green appeals to me but Iíll admit to being worried the finished look might hit me differently. Iím trying to have a little fun with this part, and not really wanting to go with a blued, black or standard gray finish. Iíd like an interesting look but not a clownish gun. Iím still looking at Cerakote colors and considering alternatives.

Your continued comments are welcome.
    I think this is a good move on the sights. The skinner with the ability to change inserts. If you find yourself using only irons, being able to change to a smaller apperature can add 50 more yards of good accuracy very easily. I would get a large and medium insert and practice with both...one for snap shooting and the other for 100 yards. I would set it for the 100 yard insert and learn how the larger insert hits at 30 yards with that setting.
    RT4
    LeatherBark likes this.
    Team 35 #751
    Team 1894 #556
    Team 444 #750
    Team Shotgun #117
    Team 22 Mag #168

Sidewinder
    Member #
    The update is....no update, lol. I've been content to let Jerry do his work on my gun without bothering him. Few days go by without some thoughts about how it's going, but I resist the urge to inquire. Good craftsmen don't need the interruption.
    Vooch, doubloon and shawlerbrook like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links