Marlin Firearms Forum banner

New to the Marlin, Lever, and 45-70 world

3K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  Officer29 
#1 ·
Hey folks,
Just joined this group, but I've been creeping on posts as a non-member while I was waiting for my new 1895 SBL 45-70. I now have it, bought all the reloading equipment, mounted my scope, installed WW trigger kit upgrade and range point gate spring, and took it to the range for the first time, yesterday.
I had some powders laying around from other calibers, specifically IMR 4895, and H322. I have read many who are loading H322 with good results. It was definitely the better of the 2 powders. I settled it on 51 gr. H322 with starline brass, CCI 200 primer, and Hornady 350 gr RN. That gave me roughly a 1.5 moa group at 100 yards. I'm happy with that for a hunting load.
Now to the point. My shoulder was pretty raw after bench firing 30+ rounds of similar charges. Do any of you have a pet load for plinking? Preferably something that doesn't kick like crazy?
I appreciate any input. Thanks! Text Font Number Signage Sign

See less See more
#3 ·
Consider a 300 to 405 gr cast lead bullet launched at modest velocity, say 1200 ish fps.

For instance 27 grains of H4198 is a "trapdoor" level load and will move a 405 gr cast bullet at about 1250 fps. It's listed on Hodgdon's website, under the 45/70 trapdoor level loads. They're mild, easy to shoot.

Most reloading manuals have a section for the light "trapdoor" 45/70 loads, that's where you'll find the easy-kicking loads. I admit that I like those a lot.

And we probably shouldn't forget that such loads pretty well eliminated the wild bison herds once upon a time.

Regards, Guy

#5 ·
Welcome to the 45-70 "House of Pain" ! That is what I tell newbees when they cringe after taking a few shots off of my 45-70 at the range. They usually have new respect for the 45-70 after shooting it.

#8 ·
Welcome to MO from Midcoast Maine. Trapdoor loads are key for sending big ole pills down range. I am working on some plinker loads in 1100 fps range but nothing all that good to report yet. I think that my gun needs .459 bullets and have yet to test out that theory. I remember that Kingstrider has posted some info on plinker rounds someplace on MO.

Use advance search with kingstrider, subsonic and you may find some his subsonlc loads.

A quick search turned up 13.2gr of Unique with an RCBS 300 gr FN clocked at 1211 fps on his SBR 45-70 project thread. You should be able to bench shoot those all day.
https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45-70-govt/572407-stainless-45-70-sbr-project.html

#11 ·
Presently I only have a early Marlin 1895 and two Ruger single shots. All three are tuned for 300gr JHPs with heavy loads of IMR-3031 and 4198. I have owned original Trapdoors and Rem RBs that I shot cast 405gr and 322gr at 1000fps-1200fps. I used Unique, 2400 and Win 630. You could double charge with these powders without overflowing cases. All 3 of these powders meter nicely. Using light charges of IMR powders takes extra care too. Powder can bridge and short stoke one load and overcharge the next. Light loads of any powder in 45/70 can produce wild groups if charge is not in uniform position in case. I have used Dacron and paper disc in light loads. Some say you shouldn't use fillers but these worked for me.

#12 ·
I have been trying out lighter loads with IMR-3031 and that may also be one of my problems. Not quite sure though as loads in the 1600 = 1700 fps range are grouping about the same and the case seems mostly full at those velocities. They don't call it working up a load for nothing. Sometimes you find something sweet with little work and other times you have to keep on trying.

#18 ·
Ya, there are other powders that will give you lower velocity and lower recoil too - but without the potential for double charging a case. Unique doesn't take up much space in that 45/70 case. A double charge would be disastrous.

At any rate, welcome! I'm glad you've entered the 45/70 world, it's an awful lot of fun.

Guy

#22 ·
I am not concerned about a low recoil hunting load. As far as I'm concerned, a 1.5" group at 100 yards with this rifle is great for a hunting load. I had just read someone, somewhere, charging his hand loads at half powder weight for plinking around. I was just curious what people were doing for easy shooting. I want my hunting loads to have some bite.

#24 ·
Hey folks,
Just joined this group, but I've been creeping on posts as a non-member while I was waiting for my new 1895 SBL 45-70. I now have it, bought all the reloading equipment, mounted my scope, installed WW trigger kit upgrade and range point gate spring, and took it to the range for the first time, yesterday.
I had some powders laying around from other calibers, specifically IMR 4895, and H322. I have read many who are loading H322 with good results. It was definitely the better of the 2 powders. I settled it on 51 gr. H322 with starline brass, CCI 200 primer, and Hornady 350 gr RN. That gave me roughly a 1.5 moa group at 100 yards. I'm happy with that for a hunting load.
Now to the point. My shoulder was pretty raw after bench firing 30+ rounds of similar charges. Do any of you have a pet load for plinking? Preferably something that doesn't kick like crazy?

I appreciate any input. Thanks! View attachment 786259

Cpick1,

Hard to beat Trail Boss, Unique, or Herco for target practice. Also, consider Xtreme or Berry's plated 350 gr to keep cost down. Caution when using Herco and Unique, you can double charge without overflowing the case.

You may find a few references in the attached link.

281290-line-free-load-data-references.html

#27 ·
Welcome. Trail Boss will do it, also beginning loads with 4198 isn't too bad even with a 405 gr cast. But to look at some really fun, no kick, low noise data look at gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata. Several 45/70 loads. Read the narrative about how these loads were developed. But be aware these loads do use pistol/ shotgun powder and double charging can occure. Some of these loads are very accurate in my Henry lever, it likes 405 better than 300 gr cast. Have fun and be especially careful and safe.

#31 ·
Welcome to 45-70 forum.:star:

#32 ·
The important things about charging cases with powder is paying attention and no distractions. Good lighting and consistency are also critical. Re-throw the charge if there's any doubt. I've been doing it this way for a few decades. The only squibs or ruptured cases I've had were from factory loads. Yes, the big boys can make mistakes too.

#33 ·
I shoot mostly powder puff loads from my 22" 1895 as I use it mostly as a range toy. After a bit of testing, I'm using 14.1 gr. of TrailBoss under a 300 gr. RNFP from Missouri Bullet which get me around 1,100 fps. I can shoot this all day from a bench. Accuracy is ~ 1" - 1.5" at 100 yds.

Another site with some easy shooting load recipes is GMDR.com. They mostly suggest using pistol powders which give easy on the shoulder loads. I tried Hodgdon HS-6 with good results (similar to TrailBoss). The only caveat with pistol powders (HS-6, W-231, Unique, etc.) is they barely fill the large 45-70 case. If you accidentally throw a double charge (literally twice as much powder) of fast burning pistol powder (rifle powders are slower burning in general), you can dramatically blow a gun up. TrailBoss is so fluffy, you can't double charge a case without the powder spilling all over the place. As long as you inspect the powder level in every case before seating your bullets, pistol powders will be fine. As I said, the HS-6 loads were a pleasure to shoot. Let us know what you decide, and enjoy that 1895!

p.s. as an aside, with these plinking loads, your cases will last forever

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.