1895 guide gun accuracy problems.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: 1895 guide gun accuracy problems.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

1895 guide gun accuracy problems.

Hi guys, my name's Ed, I'm new to the forum and also a new marlin owner. I recently bought the 1895 guide gun and It's probably my favorite rifle I've ever purchased. Unfortunately, it has come with quite a few problems.

I fitted it with a scout scope and ordered 100 rounds of ammo and went to work sighting it in. I found as I tried to zero it in, I couldn't get groups. At 100 yards, I was all over a sheet of notebook paper (started by stringing and after the barrel warmed slightly shots were everywhere.) After reading some posts on this site I checked the mag tube and found it to be very snug against the barrel. I loosened the screw and added a plastic spacer and was able to get groups of about 3-4 inches, which was a huge improvement. Of course I still want better groups.

I am just south of Louisville Ky and wondered if anyone on here would happen to know a gunsmith somewhere near me that could make some repairs and get this thing straightened out. If I have no luck there, some detailed instructions (maybe even with pics) would be invaluable. I read a post on here that went into some detail on filing down some parts that can put pressure on the barrel. Although pretty mechanically inclined, I've not done much repair work on any of my rifles and without some very detailed info, I would be uncomfortable getting in too deep.

I'm sorry for the long post and I greatly appreciate any knowledge that anyone has to share. I the amount of info I've gathered on this sight already has been a great help.
    94win30wcf and Marlinjunkie like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Hello Ed, Welcome to MO from Midcoast Maine. I would try different ammo and see what that does before visiting a gunsmith. Some guns can shoot anything relatively well and some seem to be pickier. My 336SS does not like the 160 FTX Hornady rounds. I get 6 inch groups at 100 yards. Federal blue box 170gr groups at 3. I found a hand load using 150gr Core-lokt which groups under an inch. Every gun is different.

Also check out the scope mount to make sure everything is secure.
    ​~ Mike
    <*)(((((>{

Captain Team Shotgun, Captain Handgun Team Semi-Auto
    Teams 30-30, 45-70, 35 Rem, 44-40, Wheelguns

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Like suggested, surely try several different brands and weights of ammo.

I will also add that you may have a barrel that needs to be "broken in". Several ways to do this without burning ammo if this is the case.

DR
    Marlinjunkie and M9130 like this.
    Team 60 #324, Team .22 Magnum #114, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #102, Team Wheelguns #54, Team 700 #5, Team Semi-Auto #41, Team Henry #106
    "Dying ain't so hard for men like you and me, it's the living that's hard" Ten Bears

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    drinva----I'm curious here, how do you "break in" a barrel without running lead down it, cleaning it and running more lead down it and so on?
    drinva and Marlinjunkie like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Welcome from SW Ohio.

How does your rifle shoot with factory sights? I would start there, with jacketed ammo, at 50 yards. That could tell you whether it's the scope or the gun.

There's a long list of possibilities if it's a problem with the scope.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    +1 on HIKayaker's suggestion, try factory irons at 50 yds and see how it prints.

Also as Maineiac suggested, try different factory ammo in different bullet weight and let your rifle tell you what it prefers. As an example, my 30AS hates 160FTX printing all over the target. Federal Blue box and Winchester Super X prints MOA with 170gr and sub-MOA with 150gr.

Be sure to post what your results.

Jack
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Site Contributor II Contributing Member
    Member #
    Interesting that you began with vertical dispersion, ed12589. But you did not say if the groups with the plastic spacer were vertical too. if none of the suggestions in the replies work, then you might want to try the M. L. McPherson method or, if you are inexperienced, give the rifle to a smith who knows the procedure. FWIW, I have bedded bolt actions for 50 years and it does not prepare you in any way for McPherson's method but be prepared to spend a lot of money because of the time involved.
    Good Luck mate.
    Marlin 39A Lyman 66 peep

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    What ammo did you shoot? Just curious where you started.
    Bearcat 74 likes this.
    "You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from." Cormac McCarthy
    Team 45-70 #94 Team Old Pharts#14
    John 11:35

Wrangler
    Member #
    make sure every thing is tight(bases-mounts-butt stock) and also see how the open sights shoot while you have the scope off. I have five 45-70,s and every one of them love IMR 4198 with 300-350 gr jacketed bullets, often shooting three shot groups of 1-1.5" or better at 100 yards with scopes.
    Krusty and Slugnut like this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Wow! Already a lot of good responses. Thanks for that. It seems I did leave out a little info.
    I did shoot the gun with factory iron sights to begin with. I wasn't able to hold very good groups with those using 325gr leverevolution ammo or 350gr hollow points (precision ammo I think). I blamed myself for that because I wasn't very confident with my skill with the iron sights.

Next I added the weaver rail designed for scout scopes and and put a scope on top. I used the thread adhesive it came with and made sure to get the scope tight with even space in the rings. Also, I made sure everything was tight after every 20 or so rounds.

Since adding the scope, I've shot 140 or so rounds. Some being the same as I listed above and also some winchester hollow points and then some 405gr core remington core lokt.

After adding the spacer and taking some pressure off that screw the stringing is minimal. As I said, still pretty bad groups and a lot worse as the barrel gets warm.

I also forgot to mention before, the number of rounds in the tube also seem to have a huge effect on groups. As I shoot the rounds in the mag tube, the shots do string but don't seem to go in a specific direction. Just high and low until it's empty. My three inch groups are with the mag tube full and after each shot Is cycled I add another round to replace it in the mag tube. All this is shooting off a steady rest also.
    Marlinjunkie likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links