Buffalo Rifle Powder
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Buffalo Rifle Powder

Tinhorn
    Member #

Talking Buffalo Rifle Powder in 45-70

Recently, I started testing some Buffalo Rifle powder with Missouri Bullet Co. 300 gn RNFP coated. I loaded 5 with the published starting load recommendation of 30.0 grains, and I used a Federal 210 Match primer (just because I've got a wad of them) in new Starline Brass cases with a firm crimp. At 50 yds with ghost ring sight the group was pretty good. I noticed lower than expected velocity and erratic results on the chrono. ES and SD were pretty wild too. Then, I noted something else more troubling. I had unburned powder in the bore, the action, and each empty case ejected was sprinkling kernels about! Obviously, I wasn't close to getting a full burn.
    So, I started doing some research. Since this powder is either the exact same, or mighty close to the same as AA5744, I found a substantial amount of discussion on adding dacron (or whatever you prefer, there are other options) as a filler with certain powders that leave a lot of dead space under the boolit such as this powder. Today I tried that filler trick. It helped in many ways. Velocity was much closer to expected (30.0 grains again, and my 5 shot average results were 1401 fps @ muzzle), SD and ES were acceptable. Accuracy suffered radically from my previous attempt, oddly enough. And lo and behold I STILL FOUND UNBURNED kernels of this powder in the bore and on my bench!!!!!!! Yeah, really did. Not as much, but too much for my liking.
    It seems that I am missing something with this powder. The ONLY thing I can think of that even might make a difference is if I go to a magnum primer, but I don't think I should need to go there. I'm not a fan of adding filler either -- not a huge ordeal to do it, but not planning to do a lot of it unless the payoff in complete burn and some fine accuracy are the reward--right now I'm not seeing either one. Not sure I even want to try any longer. I'm not getting any "warm fuzzy" about this powder, even if it (and AA5744) is considered such a wonder powder by some. Maybe it needs the longer barrels to get a full burn (and I'm seriously thinking this is where a lot of the issue lies), but my 18.5" barreled guide gun ain't cuttin' it, that's for sure.
    So, guys and gals, anyone else have any stories to tell of their rendezvous with this powder? I'm all ears if you got any success stories
    Besides that, happy Thanksgiving to you all and your families!! Savor the time spent with those you care most about..
    Last edited by Toby Joe; 11-27-2019 at 08:24 PM.
    Pig Ninja likes this.
    Happy Trails! ------ John

**Team 45-70 Gov't - Member #1955

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    What rifle were you shooting and what was the barrel length? Have you tried a heavier bullet to get a more complete burn? How about the crimp on the cartridge?
    Ole Man Dan likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Travlin View Post
    What rifle were you shooting and what was the barrel length? Have you tried a heavier bullet to get a more complete burn? How about the crimp on the cartridge?
    18.5" Barrel Marlin 1895 GBL. No, I have only tried this with a 300 gn. Firm crimp for lever action use.
    Happy Trails! ------ John

**Team 45-70 Gov't - Member #1955

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    Sorry, no experience with that powder, but I've found 2400 and both flavors of 4198 to work well in that range. No filler needed or recommended. 24gr of 2400, or 30gr of 4198 would be good places to start.
    Best Regards, Tim.

TEAM 45/70 #1682 TEAM HENRY #149
    Remlin 1895GBL, CVA Hunter 45/70, Henry H010 All Weather

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I noticed unburned powder in the bore of my Ruger today. I was using 30gr under a 405 Missouri Bullet. There is 3-5 kernels in the barrel after every shot. It looks a lot like looking down a 410 bore. I am not worried about it as long as it performs.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    yep...faster powders for short barrels....or just ignor the few specs left in the barrel
    Mike Britton likes this.
    ......just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.....

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    The test on powder is really the group and if you have a chronograph the extreme spread. When I used 2400 in pistols, it seemed to be a bit dirty but it worked well.

DEP

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Sometimes you just have to accept the unburned powder.
    I shoot AA2495 in my Sharps conversion carbine (50-70) Govt.). I tried multiple powders listed for the standard 450 grain bullet. None of them gave me the accuracy or velocity of the AA2495 load despite leaving less unburned powder in the bore.
    Even blackpowder gave me less unburned granules in the bore.
    Always better to carry "too much" gun and too many cartridges...
    Marlin 1894SS(2009), Winchester 1886 Extra Lightweight rifle(1910), Springfield Trapdoor carbine(1880), Sharps carbine(1863)
    I like big calibers

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    IMR4198 works great with great accuracy and no unburned powder. That is with my 405gr lead. With my 465gr lead I use H335 and it works really well with that bullet. Sometimes you just have to experiment with powders to get the best result. Don't try and rely on just one powder to do the trick.
    Bill
    Team 45-70 #1569

Freedom is earned and given to all by the men and women who have served for our country.
    God Bless America

Sidewinder
    Member #
    TJ, I haven't used the Buffalo Rifle powder but I am working up loads with AA5744 in my Trapper (16") with a 300 gr XTP and have noticed some powder kernels but not to the extent you're describing however. I am using CCI BR6 primers and I started at 35 grains and upping a grain at a time. I haven't chrono'd any yet but soon shall. Maybe try a different primer ? I was able to do 1"-1.5" 3 shot at 50 yards which is very encouraging, so far. There may be a as-yet undiscovered ideal charge weight where it gives optimum burning in YOUR gun. I was advised NOT to use a filler with this powder however....
    Team .45-70 #2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links