Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Trigger and scope mount

670 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Kevin336 
#1 ·
I have a new Remlin 1895gbl. I have two situations.

1. Scope rail mount holes. 1 of 4 of them are factory stripped. I mounted 3 of the four screws successfully and very snuggly, and I suspect that as it is the rear inside screw I will be ok for a season. I have heard that some places make a slightly over sized screw for just said occasion though. Has any one had the same issue?

2. Trigger, it is a brisk 7 pounds. I have never done trigger work and the local gunsmith is 3 months backlogged. Has anyone worked there own or have experience with a drop in trigger?

thanks folks.

#2 ·
Order you a trigger from Ranger Point Precision... Mine went from 7ish to a very crisp 3... Easy to install also...

The scope mount may hold, use blue Loctite... I would likely use helicoils instead of threading larger holes...

#4 ·
If you're mechanically inclined, follow Swany's trigger job tutorial. You can have a VERY nice trigger for free. Only took me about an hour to get a clean crisp 3# trigger.

Reactions: NewtoSkeet
#7 ·
Auto part
Here is a pic from a few posts down in the tutorial. It shows the angle to reduce. You only need to make a very slight change to the angle on the tip to make a big change in pull weight. Took me just four passes on some wet 800 grit if I remember correctly.

#6 ·
If I remember this correctly; if your original screw was a #6 and it truly stripped, you can probably use a #8 tap (next size up) and will likely not even have to drill it, just go easy, and that'll mean you will have to drill the matching hole in the mount. Might want to try just cleaning it up with the proper #6 tap and see if that does the trick first. Good luck, and you are probably good for a season, just ask and Remington 700 owner........

#8 ·
Well I finally got some range time to determine if it is worth working on. At 100 yds with federal blue box 300 grain Ammo I got a 2.75” five shot group.

not what I was hoping for, but it was slightly breezy, and I was shooting off of the rest with the seven pound trigger.

For deer to 150 yards it’s good enough as is. With some other ammo, maybe some hand loading and a better trigger I might get it a little tighter.

i ordered the tap and screws to fix the mount first. Then I’ll try the trigger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.