First bullet for my marlin 1895 SBL - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: First bullet for my marlin 1895 SBL

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan alder View Post
    I like cast also but out of those three I would go with the Hornady. Powders I have used is 4198, 3031, 4895, Varget, 322, and some Vihtavori(not sure but I believe it was 130). All gave less than 1.5" groups at 100 yards with my 435 grain cast bullet from Ranch Dog.
    if you remember let me know

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tbilly View Post
    If I could only load one bullet in the 45-70 it would be the hornady 350gr. It's VERY accurate in both my GBL and CVA at any speed I've pushed it. 1600fps to over 2000fps. It's affordable, readily available, and offers a nice balance of speed and penetration.
    They told me very well about this interlock, how you load it

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    A question ... With low dosages have you ever used to fill the shell with anything else? cotton for example?
    There are those who do it in reduced dosages to improve load density.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    I personally never use a filler. BAD things can happen if you get it wrong. If you want good case fill at Trapdoor to Levergun levels give H4895 a try. Good fill, temp stable, and burns clean at low pressures.
    Best Regards, Tim.

TEAM 45/70 #1682 TEAM HENRY #149
    Remlin 1895GBL, CVA Hunter 45/70, Henry H010 All Weather

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Update ... even if the VihtaVuori N130 is not widely used by you.
    Bullet Hornady interlock 350gr with 52gr at 50 yards free hand 5 shots in 1 inch,2 wrong strokes due to fatigue fairly quick shot. Sierra pro hunter 300gr 56gr N130 the same result as the Hornady. I didn't like the Speer HP 300gr bullet, above 54gr is not accurate.
    On the hunt I'll try the Sierra as you recommended me, bullet accurate and good weight.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scorpiusb likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Piombino View Post
    A question ... With low dosages have you ever used to fill the shell with anything else? cotton for example?
    There are those who do it in reduced dosages to improve load density.
    I don't see any very good reasons to do it, and a couple very good reasons (related to safe operation) not to do it.

If you can get them in Italy, there are quite a number of heavy lead or lead-alloy bullets which will fill up enough of the case where you won't have to worry about "dead" space for lack of powder.

And if you can't get the bullets and you are willing to invest the time, you can buy the dies and cast your own.

Many people are skittish about using lead bullets. However, something I always point out about them, especially as 45-70 bullets: in the late 19th century in the western US, literally millions of American bison were killed with 405 grain soft lead bullets coming out of the muzzle at around 1300 fps, and at distances in excess of 400M.

It is possible there are US ITAR restrictions on buying bullets from here, but i suspect those restrictions don't cover dies for casting bullets. I don't cast my own, but there are quite a number of gentlemen on this forum who do and will be happy to assist you.

I work for a company that does a lot of ITAR-related work. I'll check with some of our legal folks and see what the deal is on plain bullets, especially of the lead variety.
    Scorpiusb, Piombino and Ranger357v like this.
    "If you can remember all of the guns you own, you don't have enough." -- Me

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." -- Col. Townsend Whelen

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Meant to add as a frame of reference: an mature American bison bull is thicker through the shoulders and chest than a cape buffalo. If 405+ gr of soft lead was enough to kill them, it's enough to kill anything you'll ever hunt in Europe, too. And one of these days, I'm going to find out my own self.
    Piombino likes this.
    "If you can remember all of the guns you own, you don't have enough." -- Me

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." -- Col. Townsend Whelen

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    From VihtaVuori loading data.....With 35gr of VihtaVuori N130 and 510gr lead bullet have 1600f/s, with 490gr bullet it's ferfect?

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Piombino View Post
    Hi everyone, I have a marlin sbl and I have to start preparing for the hunt.
    I have three bullet available , Sierra pro hunter 300gr, Speer hp 300gr, Hornady interlock 350gr. The Hornady FTX 325gr is coming but if you have any advice it's great.
    I have starline casings and cci200 primers, as I have the Vihtavuori N130.
    I have not yet available the imr 4198.I will hunt wild boar, shot distance max 120yd maximum weight of boar 300lb
    I would like your opinion, which bullet is best for my hunt?
    What can I do with the Vihtavuori N130?
    Best powder for 45-70.... VV N130

I can do some quickload calculations, but I have very good accuracy with 321 grain cast bullet. VV 130 is also very usable to every bullet type or bullet weight
    Piombino likes this.
    Team 45-70 #1181

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links