Is the recoil really bad? Been shooting Leverevolution 325gr and it wasn't bad.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Is the recoil really bad? Been shooting Leverevolution 325gr and it wasn't bad.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Is the recoil really bad? Been shooting Leverevolution 325gr and it wasn't bad.

Granted that's not the most powerful load and I had a limbsaver on the rifle, but it wasn't bad at all. Shoulder was a bit sore but less so than a shotgun session.

I think shooting my dad's unpacked SKS rifle was much more punishing.

What say you?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I don't use a limbsaver pad so the FTX and my 400 gr Speer reloads pack a punch from the bench with the Marlin pad.
    Last edited by Ret_Eng; 08-22-2019 at 06:02 AM.
    VSala and 1Merlin like this.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Deadeye
    Member #
    I can't even being to put an honest number of 45-70 rounds I've fired over the decades. If had to venture a guess it would be easily over the 3000 rounds. All but a handfull were fired out of original and some out of a reproduction big bore single shots off either bench or cross sticks. While the rifles were heavier than lever actions, none had recoil pads. Steel or brass butt plates. Bullets were all 405 or 510 grain cast lead.

Now out of a Winchester extra light weight that honestly had a lot more felt recoil but since it had a recoil pad on it wasn't as punishing. Now at the ripe age over 50 yrs old I'm paying for all that "fun". If I got another 45-70 I'd probably use a slip over pad just so I don't have to deal with the recoil. Not to mention unless I'm developing a hunting load I down load them even more to make it enjoyable.
    1Merlin and tobywan45 like this.
    Team 35 Rem #781 JM 336 in 35 Remington Team 30-30 #1438 JM 336 in 30-30 Team 38-55 #27 Mdl 1893 in 38-55
    Team 1894 #586 JM 1894 in 44 mag Team 22 Mag #190 XT-22M Team Henry #146 Frontier 22LR Team Wheel Gun #131
    Team Semi-Auto #75 Team Old Pharts #389

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    In the past I shot the 430 grain Bear Load from HSM......that would rattle your teeth and bruise your arm even with protection. Now I use the Hornady 250 monolith........easy peesy.
    turbobug, 1Merlin and Slugnut like this.
    2004 JM Marlin 1895 GS 45-70/Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8
    Ruger SS Redhawk 44m 4.2"
    Ruger SS GP100 357m 4.2"
    Weihrauch HW-30 .177 Air Rifle
    Team 30-30, 45-70, Winchester

Tinhorn
    Member #
    At the moment I only used Leverevolution 325 grains, and I think that the recoll is quite moderate. My rifle has the original protection it brings from the factory.

Yesterday in the night, I had the opportunity to shoot a wild boar 5 meters away during a nighttime wait when the boar approached me. The adrenaline made it seem to me that I was shooting with compressed air :risa:

If shooting at the target seems to me a moderate recoil, in the hunting action it seems irrelevant to me
    "... some day, when the barbarity have taken the place of our civilization, and no one is safe, you will want to have the man with the sword on your side". (Robert E. Howard)

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I've used the gummy tips for several years now. My favorite round for whitetail using my 1895GS. Accurate, powerful, flat shooting. Just the right combination of expansion and penetration. Not much meat damage.

Recoil is stout but not more so than my .30-06.
    Alabardero62 and 1Merlin like this.
    My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! -- Thomas Jefferson

Bugs

Wrangler
    Member #
    Really a very subjective subject. With every person it will probably be a little (or lot) different. Also factor in the amount shot and the "excitement level" when you do shoot. If you shoot NRA Big Bore Metallic Silhouette and shoot 40 - 120 round matches while trying to concentrate on a perfect hold an let off you will likely feel the recoil differently than if you are reacting to a dangerous game animal running toward you with "intent".

Rifle Recoil Table - Sortable.pdf

Thank You TWOAMENDMENTS.COM
    Last edited by 1Merlin; 08-21-2019 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Acknowledgement for attachment
    Alabardero62 and Barley like this.
    I like it. I love it. Can't get enough of it.

Lever Action Silhouette Rifle - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....

Sidewinder
    Member #
    When I shoot big bore rifles like 444, 45-70 and 500 S&W,I have a sandbag between the butt and my shoulder. Not so much on my 30 caliber rifles though unless I am shooting a lot. I am 6'0 and 200 pounds with plenty of meat on my shoulder, but without padding the big bores kick my butt. I only get to shoot at the local range so it is all from a bench and I don't have a rest that can absorb all the recoil. Standing up and shooting i feel i can stand a little more recoil. Without the right stuff, sighting in a big bore can be brutal.

Site Contributor-Certified Marlin & Milsurp Rifle Nut Super Moderator
    Member #
    I use a limb saver on my guide gun. I'm pushing an accurate 46-360M at roughly 1470 FPS. A mild load by the book, but it jumps off the bench quite a bit and can pack a wallop without the extra recoil pad. Recoil is entirely subjective for the most part with the 45-70... some perceive it differently than others. I will say this though, and I have said it many times. I fire often times up to 500+ rounds a month, from moderate recoiling rifles to heavy recoiling rifles. Recoil is downright dangerous. I know men, one including my late grand father, who completely ended their shooting careers due to recoil and not taking the necessary steps to protect themselves from it. You are no less a man for using a recoil pad, especially on a big rifle. End of story.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Like many others have mentioned here, there is a big difference between shooting your light weight 45-70 with the hot-ish Leverevolution ammo from a bench in the summer time wearing a T-shirt and taking a standing shot at a deer in December with a heavy coat on. I shot two deer with my GLB last year and didn't even notice recoil at the time. I really don't like shooting the same gun very much from a bench with the same ammo in the summer though.
    Alabardero62, 1Merlin and tstryker like this.
    The High Tech Redneck
    1895GBL 45-70
    Team .45/70 member #294

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links