Is the recoil really bad? Been shooting Leverevolution 325gr and it wasn't bad. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Is the recoil really bad? Been shooting Leverevolution 325gr and it wasn't bad.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    i don't think the recoil is any wore than a 10ga duck/goose gun. I kinda like the recoil
    Ranger357v likes this.
    Behind Enemy Lines in
    New Yorkistan

Tinhorn
    Member #
    A friend bought himself a new GBL and one 20rd box of Leverevolution 325gr ammo. I believe the box stated 2025 MV. He asked me if I would like to try it out with him. We set up a target that we shot at from 25 yards up to about 100 yards away. He loaded up and proceeded to shoot. He went through one in chamber and a full mag tube before he called it a day. Watching him shoot ya could tell that rifle was kicking pretty hard. I finished the box, but that felt recoil was serious stuff. I will admit to being bruised pretty good and there was no benchrest shooting. We were either sitting or standing so we could roll with the movement of the rifle. Everyone expects some recoil, but I do not intend to go out of my way to shoot that ammo again anytime soon. I get the feeling that the pursuit of smaller bullets with higher velocities is something people do just because they can. I believe there are plenty of long time hunters on this site who will tell ya that there are better ways to do it with larger bullets.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by PogoJack View Post
    Granted that's not the most powerful load and I had a limbsaver on the rifle, but it wasn't bad at all. Shoulder was a bit sore but less so than a shotgun session.

I think shooting my dad's unpacked SKS rifle was much more punishing.

What say you?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Jack,

The modern 300 - 325 gr bullets and powder combinations have changed many minds with respect to the 45-70. I prefer a higher velocity for the hydrostatic effect on game and the lighter bullets deliver!

Make no mistake, if you have sinus conjestion, a short session with full power 400-425 gr bullets will clear up your breathing issues in short order.

I have a 1886 Win with a 24" octagon barrel, that is not a short or light rifle. I shoot it in big bore NRA Lever Action Silhouette matches. I cast a 250 gr bullet with 17.5 gr of Unique moving at around 1,650 fps to avoid getting a bad case of yips, shatching the trigger, in a 40 round match.

300 gr bullets are a great option for most North American game. Only dangerous game needs a 400gr dose of medicine.
    HerrSchutz
    NRA Life 1974
    40 gr to 535 gr, all moving at the most accurate velocity!
    Darwin was right, when left alone, nature has very efficient and effective ways of strengthening the gene pool​.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Since I'm going bear hunting this fall......and it will sneak up sooner than I expect, I went to the range today to work up some "bear loads." I call 'em bear loads as my normal load for whitetail is a CP GC 405gr that gives me about 1,600fps from my Marlin XLR rifle. I want a bullet\powder combo that will give me 2,000fps or better from my rifle as I want to zero it at 100 yards, and I will know that at 200 yards the drop will be about 10". So, knowing that I have two bullets on my shelf that will do this. One is the Hornady 325 FTX and the second is a Nosler 300gr. partition.

I loaded up the Hornady over 48gr. of RL-7, and a second batch using 50gr. RL-7. The Nosler I made one load using 65gr. H335.

I used the 48gr RL-7 loads to obtain zero at 100 yards, then moved on to the 200yard target with the 325gr and 50gr RL-7. Finally, I took one shot at the 200 yard target with the Nosler load. The Nosler recoil is more than the Hornady....and since the Hornady is accurate that's the choice.

The pic below is from the 200 yard groupings. The "flyer" on the left was my fault. The four shots in the 1" grouping were three from the Hornady 50gr. load, and one from the Nosler. Now, these were shot from a bench with a rest with my Williams peep sight. I've decided on the 325gr. 50gr RL-7 load for bear as the Nosler bark was worse.....plus it had flames coming outta the barre end. No need for all that!! When I go back to the range I will have a Leupold 2-6X scope with QDR's for the "final" sight in and adjustments. The peep sight will be left as is in case the scope fails, or I need to remove it for some reason. This Marlin XLR is a wicket accurate shooter and it does make me look good....and I need all the help I can get!!

elo8gamh.jpg

3WhtmzSh.jpg
    Judson likes this.
    I shoot all my rabbits with Hornady's dangerous game bullets.
    Team Winchester #101
    Team 32 Special #149
    Team 38-55 #3
    I got lot's more in the back.....

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Very nice 200 yard group as is...............
    Davetm likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I just got my first 45-70. A 1895GBL. Shot 20 rounds of the Hornady 325's. Less felt recoil Tham my model 700 30-06. About 2x felt recoil than my 1894 44 mag
    Davetm likes this.
    Michael
    Long Island, NY
    1960 39A 1962 39A
    XS7 in 243. XS7 in 308
    1970 100th anniversary 336 30-30. 2019 1895 45-70

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I just bought a 1895 GBL today and went through 20 rounds of Hornady LeverRevolution 325 grain....and 20 rounds of 405 Grain Remington at the BLM range in Grand Junction, Colorado this afternoon....I didn't really notice significant recoil.....I'm not very recoil sensitive though....but don't think it kicks any worse than my SBEII Benelli.....
    Davetm likes this.
    Retired U.S. Army
    .336 30-30; 45-70 GBL

Wrangler
    Member #
    After reading many of the comments I went out to sight in my 1895 45/70 today and found the recoil to be less than shooting my 870 12 gauge, I was very impressed with the accuracy. I had just purchased this used last week at a local gun store. It was made on 2017. The fit, finish and function was flawless. Here is a picture of the target 🎯 I only had time for a 25 yard sight in today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Freedom is not free!

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I put Limbsavers on most of mine cause at my age recoil wasn't pleasant anymore. They tame the beast down substantially.
    Davetm likes this.
    Bill
    Team 45-70 #1569

Freedom is earned and given to all by the men and women who have served for our country.
    God Bless America

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links