Another Cross bolt safety question and safety delete options
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Another Cross bolt safety question and safety delete options

Tinhorn
    Member #

Another Cross bolt safety question and safety delete options

I tried doing a search and found several questions about installing a safety delete and removing the cross bolt safety. After looking around I didn't see an answer to a question I still had. I'm new to Marlin lever guns so I'm not very familiar with the internal mechanism and I was wondering what would happen if you took out the cross bolt safety and didn't replace it with anything? What if you also removed the ball bearing and spring and set screw and didn't replace them either? If you only had holes there would the gun cycle and fire normally? I have an 1895 Guide gun made in 2016 in case that makes a difference. I apologize if this has been answered somewhere. I looked for a while and couldn't find it.
    Thanks!

Deadeye
    Member #
    No expert, I just replaced mine with the Bear Tooth Mercantile Saddle ring safety delete. Works well. But no not see anything wrong except dirt getting into hole if left alone/
    tradarcher likes this.
    Aim Small, Miss Small

Wrangler
    Member #
    The gun would work just fine. But you'd have an ugly hole on each side. More elegant way would be to replace it with a plug you can buy or one that includes a saddle ring.

I just put the safety on fire and tighten down the detent screw until the safety can't be pushed to safe. It can be easily reversed.
    Owen49, tradarcher, 4mynra and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    For the 20 bucks or so they cost I’d get a safety delete if you want to remove the safety. Gun would function fine without one, BUT I must agree it would look UGLY.. LOL.

Keep us posted
    tradarcher likes this.
    Life/Endowment member NRA--New York State Rifle and Pistol Association Member
    Semper Fi

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Welcome from Alabama... Leaving the holes open wont effect operation of the rifle, but will allow more areas where dirt can get into the action...
    rob42049 and tradarcher like this.
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    If you don't like the safety delete and don't want to spend the money for the plug or the ring, just push the safety off and put a small "o" ring on the other side. That will prevent the usage of the safety. I've always used half cock on levers since I was a kid as the safety. Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your stay.
    Bill
    Team 45-70 #1569

Freedom is earned and given to all by the men and women who have served for our country.
    God Bless America

"Opinionated Texan" Super Moderator
    Member #
    FWIW
    You can lock the safety down in the off position by taking
    the stock off and tightening the set screw.
    No need to remove anything if it's disabled.
    Last edited by navajo; 09-18-2018 at 09:28 AM.
    Owen49, Travlin and Vic in Va like this.
    Navajo
    Lever-Action Addict
    Savage 99 fan
    MXLR fan
    Full-Blood Texan

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer29 View Post
    If you don't like the safety delete and don't want to spend the money for the plug or the ring, just push the safety off and put a small "o" ring on the other side. That will prevent the usage of the safety. I've always used half cock on levers since I was a kid as the safety. Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your stay.
    That's my plan as well....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Owen49 and Officer29 like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    As I mentioned I am very new to this and still trying to figure this mechanism out. I still have more questions but I want to say thanks for the help so far.
    1st let me make it clear that I am NOT being critical of beartooth. I like what they are doing and I have every intention of buying some of their products. I like what they are doing and they look very good. Something I saw on their website did give me pause and made me a little concerned. My goal was to use a saddle ring sling and then I saw this: "It is ultimately up to the owner of the rifle if they want to modify their receiver to secure the safety delete with saddle ring in place to a degree that allows functional use of the ring. It is possible to install it with the factory hardware if eliminating the cross-bolt safety is the only goal. However, one must consider that it is possible to snag the saddle ring and turn the safety delete enough to prevent the rifle from firing. Rotating the safety delete will put it in a position that prevents the hammer from engaging the firing pin..."
    That really caught my attention. I don't want to have a situation where the saddle ring rotates while I'm busy hiking with it and then the gun ceases to function. So that got me wondering as WHY the saddle ring safety delete was made in such a way that it could rotate and disable the gun. I thought there was some chance that the gun may have a mechanism that prevents it from firing if the cross bolt safety is gone? It seems like everyone is saying that isn't the case. Then I thought maybe the set screw needed to be tightened against something for the action to work - that also doesn't seem to be the case. Which makes me wonder if a better saddle ring could be designed and used? I'm more of a wood worker than metal worker but it does have me wondering. Again, I'm not trying to criticize anyone. I'm just wondering about alternative solutions. Thanks again for the help.
    edcknives likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Beartooth's delete comments are to advise of the remote possibility of the saddle ring turning the pin and disabling the weapon if you don't select their simple safety delete. The likelihood of a ring turn is remote if the installer turns the screw in tightly and especially if he also installs the available pin. Furthermore, the saddle ring shaft may be drilled to seat the pin deeper and more tightly. The whole unit can then be installed securely. Then test the installation and tighten it to see if you can turn the ring and shaft with a peg. I'll bet it passes your test. it did mine, and it is a lot more certain than a redundant button safety on the side.
    edcknives and Officer29 like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links