Some kind of toy I want
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Some kind of toy I want

OK everyone I need some help justifying a new toy. I was looking at a 38-55 for fun (buying a used H&R Buffalo) as a compromise to buying the same gun in 45-70. This would not be for hunting but an infrequent choice for the range. Maybe some cowboy stuff later. The reason I looked at the 38-55
    (28" bbl) was it had a compromise barrel length between the 20" 45LC and the 32" 45-70.

The price/availability of the 38-55 ammo scares me (no I am not ready to start reloading yet) so I was thinking that at 8 lbs with the 32" bbl and if I put a pad on it the 45-70 (I also have a lead sled), might not be too bad for recoil. I have a .44 mag revolver & rifle and a .45 LC Marlin lever. I am 6'5 and about 300 lbs.

The 38-55 has coolness written all over it, but if I don't reload will I shoot it? Am I being too much of a worry wart about the 45-70 recoil (I also really like that H&R 32" bbl on the 45-70)?

Thanks for any help in advance.
    "And some like two guns. But one's all you need if you can use it..." - Shane

Captain Team .22 Magnum.....#001
    Team .30-30.....# 572
    Team .45-70.....# 180
    Team .38-55.....# 9
    Team 1984.....# 119
    Team 39A.....# 261
    NRA Life Member

Member #

Re: Some kind of toy I want

You could get a 30-06 and forget the whole mess (just kidding). I own 3 45-70s, factory standard loads 405 grain really don't kick much. Sort of like a dove load in a 12 guage. The real beauty of a 45-70 is the wide range of possible loadings. Reloaders make "mild" loads which don't kick any more than a .410 and can still drop game. The hot loads really do kick hard. I bought 3 boxes of corbon and buffalo bore cheap from a guy who tried a few 500 grain whompers than said no thanks and sold the gun.
    "a little rebellion now and then is a good thing"
    -Thomas Jefferson 1787.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson

Sidewinder
    Member #

If you are using a Lead Sled to shoot from, I wouldn't worry one bit about the kick.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

BKS
    Sidewinder
    Member #

I just got my 2nd 45-70, a Buffalo Classic, and couldn't be happier with it. The recoil ain't bad, unless you are using the elephant loads. I don't know if you can even find 38-55 rounds around here, but 45-70 are around 30.00 a box.

Got a lee loader coming in the mail till I can set up my press.

Sidewinder
    Member #

My Marlin shoots outstanding but I've had 3 H&R rifles that shot terrible. Make sure that the H&R that you buy is a shooter.

Member #

Your a big guy so don't worry about the recoil on the 45-70 . You got me by 75 pounds and 2 inches and I blast away with the 45-70 for hours and love it . With the weak factory loads its not as bad as a 12 ga.
    Of Empires and Kings , Generals and Armies , All have fallen and only the people have stood the test of time . It is theirs to pick up the broken pieces of ego , conquest and follies of war. From the old to the new come home safe 1st SOW USAF

Super Moderator
    Member #

I am 5'9" and 155 lb. I like shooting my 45-70 with standard Rem loads and LE. Have not tried any woppers yet. You should have no trouble with the 45-70.
    Blessed is he who expects nothing for he shall not be disapointed

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Have you thought about reloading?
    There are varying degrees of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the bounds and cross over into true corruption; into our domain. For if you do, one day you will look behind you and you will see we three. And on that day, you will reap it.

Member #

Bronco, I have. But I am still in the gun acquisition phase. I am a bit hesitant since it seems like a big purchase with a lot of parts. Thanks everyone for the vote of confidence for the 45-70 and dispelling my worries. Sorry for sounding like a bit of a wimp but I only just started shooting again after a long gap due to illness.
    "And some like two guns. But one's all you need if you can use it..." - Shane

Captain Team .22 Magnum.....#001
    Team .30-30.....# 572
    Team .45-70.....# 180
    Team .38-55.....# 9
    Team 1984.....# 119
    Team 39A.....# 261
    NRA Life Member

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

I was just messin with you. I need to start reloading, too...but I just starting shooting a while back. I realize it's just one of those things that you keep finding things to spend money on. However, the only real reason I haven't started reloading yet is because I don't have room. I've been saying for years that I need a bigger house...with a bigger yard. I don't even really have room outside to build a small shack.
    There are varying degrees of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the bounds and cross over into true corruption; into our domain. For if you do, one day you will look behind you and you will see we three. And on that day, you will reap it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links