What is wrong with my new 1895 SDT?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SH [OP]
    Tenderfoot
    Member #

What is wrong with my new 1895 SDT?

I'm relatively new to leverguns but I recently purchased 3 new SDTs and received them today.
    (2) 1895s and (1) 336 (I didn't really want the 336 but had to buy it to obtain both 1895s)

My observations and concerns-

I like the compactness of the SDTs and the exterior fit and finish were fine. The roughness of the internals certainly didn't inspire confidence but I can polish them if necessary.

All three of the rifles had the front sight shrouds detached and floating loose in the bag.
    Not a major problem but it was likely responsible for a couple of very faint scratches on the receiver and barrel.

The front fiber optic on the 336 was broken.
    An annoyance but not a major concern.

One of the rifles had a somewhat heavy but crisp trigger. The others two may get replaced.

My real concern is with one of the 1895s. It would cyle fine if moved quickly. A slow cycle however, would cause it to "freeze up" just before the carrier drops down. At this point the cycle could be completed but only with a serious increase in pressure which resulted in the carrier "snapping" rather than "dropping" into place.

After innumerable cycles it has improved to the point where it only occasionally catches when cycled gently and never when cycled hard. (but when it does catch it is still as hard to lock up as before)

What do you think is causing this?
    Would it be easy to remedy with fine abrasives and a buffing machine?
    I hate to waste the time and money to send it back to Marlin if the fix is easily remedied at home!

Thank you for your help!

Tinhorn
    Member #

Re: What is wrong with my new 1895 SDT?

Sorry I don't have any answers just some similar observations. I bought two 1895SDT rifles and one of them had the front sight hood floating around in the bag and scratches in the finish of the receiver. Having taken 3 1/2 months of paperwork and waiting to import the two rifles into Canada sending it back is not an option. I havn't had a chance to play with them yet so cannot comment on the functioning. Seems like poor quality control for such a limited number of rifles. One of the rifles is destined to accompany me on the trapline so it was bound to get some scratches eventually so I guess I will just live with it. Jim

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

IMO, it's the way you're cycling it. They are meant to be cycled with authority and NOT like you're babying the thing. Keep cycling dummy rounds through them all and they'll get smoother in time.

The scratches on your stainless rifle can be easily removed by using dark red (maroon) industrial grade Scotch Brite. I use it on my stainless Guide Gun with A+ results.

BTW, welcome to MO's
    Steve, in Massachusetts...

I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt.

Be American, Buy American... Stimulate!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #

Where do you get the scotchbrite. Mine has some scratches from the front hood as well.

Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SH
    I'm relatively new to leverguns but I recently purchased 3 new SDTs and received them today.
    (2) 1895s and (1) 336 (I didn't really want the 336 but had to buy it to obtain both 1895s)

My observations and concerns-

I like the compactness of the SDTs and the exterior fit and finish were fine. The roughness of the internals certainly didn't inspire confidence but I can polish them if necessary.

All three of the rifles had the front sight shrouds detached and floating loose in the bag.
    Not a major problem but it was likely responsible for a couple of very faint scratches on the receiver and barrel.

The front fiber optic on the 336 was broken.
    An annoyance but not a major concern.

One of the rifles had a somewhat heavy but crisp trigger. The others two may get replaced.

My real concern is with one of the 1895s. It would cyle fine if moved quickly. A slow cycle however, would cause it to "freeze up" just before the carrier drops down. At this point the cycle could be completed but only with a serious increase in pressure which resulted in the carrier "snapping" rather than "dropping" into place.

After innumerable cycles it has improved to the point where it only occasionally catches when cycled gently and never when cycled hard. (but when it does catch it is still as hard to lock up as before)

What do you think is causing this?
    Would it be easy to remedy with fine abrasives and a buffing machine?
    I hate to waste the time and money to send it back to Marlin if the fix is easily remedied at home!

Thank you for your help!

SH,

What you describe is the lever interacting with the carrier rocker. You can smooth it action by removing the carrier ans polishing the edges and corners of the rocker on the carrier. Also, with the lever out of the gun, inspect and polish the interacting surface on the lever.
    You don't want to remove much metal, just ease the sharp corners and polish and burnish the surfaces.

RE: The broken front sight, call Marlin gun service for a warranty replacement.

Tom
    NRA LIFE

NRA LIFE
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    CCDL

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Texan
    Where do you get the scotchbrite. Mine has some scratches from the front hood as well.
    Your local Ace Hardware maybe, but if not try MSC..... I get it from work.
    http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=63062470

Sidewinder
    Member #

Thanks six_gunz. Do you happen to know who makes the action polishing grease that contains pumice?

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Texan
    Thanks six_gunz. Do you happen to know who makes the action polishing grease that contains pumice?

I've never used such a product, so sorry I can't help. Maybe someone else can help you with that.

SH [OP]
    Tenderfoot
    Member #

Thanks for the tips!

It has smoothed up considerably after repeated cycling.
    I will try deburring and buffing the carrier/rocker to (hopefully) completely eliminate the problem.

SH [OP]
    Tenderfoot
    Member #

IT IS CURED!

I stripped it down and lightly sanded every jagged and burred edge (almost every part and edge in the rifle) with 400 then 600 grit wet (oiled) sand paper.
    I then buffed every piece and reassembled.

The difference is absolutely AMAZING!
    I can not make it freeze up anymore.
    The Hornady LE loads that just barely cycled before (very rough and clunky) will now slide through it smoothly with virtually no effort.

For never having opened up a levergun before, I am VERY pleased with the results!

Now its time to start making up loads and chronographing velocity from the 16 inch barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links