Reloading 45/70 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Reloading 45/70

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
    I would probably load for the heaviest critter you will encounter, in this case bear. Those loads are probably overkill on anything else but it won't matter. No sense in having 2-3 loads.
    Well said! Develop one good load, shoot it every chance you get, and soon enough you'll know where it hits all all the distances you shoot at. Pigs can take a lot of killing depending on the angle of the shot, I'd rather have too much power than just enough.

If this is your designated bear gun the reliability can't be over-stressed. Practice shooting rapid fire, and make sure it likes what you feed it.
    "At this point in 2016, the Republican primary field still featured black and Latino candidates. But the 2020 Dems have already kicked all of their racial minority candidates to the curb. We need to have a national conversation about racism in the Democrat Party. Very troubling!" —Matt Walsh

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I like heavy cast but i am hearing some good things about the 350 jacketed hornady if you can get it i still think heavy cast ( over 400 gr ) is best look for a WFN (wide flat nose) just my opinion

tom

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Bout any good hardcast cast bullet driven to marlin velocities will kill any bear on earth given good shot placement. Reliability and secondly accuracy would be more important i think. 3" groups would probably be fine long as they are driven fairly fast and cycle 100%

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    i usually like 2 inch or a little better at a 100 yrds but would not mind hunting with a 2 1/2 inch load but if its what you feel comfortable with .just my opinion most marlins will do better than 3 inch

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Mister270,

Would agree with the 2" or better.

When I started with the 355gr LBT WFN boolit, really new to 45/70 and cast boolit rifle hunting, I just couldn't get that boolit to group consistantly and and provide groups in what I felt was a reasonable size.

Was I pushing that boolit overly fast? Could have been I suppose.

But with the 465gr WFN from Bruce - Babore - and droping back to the +/- 1600fps range everything improved. The consistancy, greatly, and the groups into the 2" or less sized groups.

Hear me here folks, I am not slamming LBT molds or Veral Smith the maker. That boolit just did not shoot for me is all I'm saying.

Well maybe not all, as the one critter I took with that boolit leaving the bore of my RUGER at a touch over 2300fps quickly showed that that level of velocity was not only NOT needed, but waaaaaay to much of a good thing.

Way more wound channel then could possibly be needed. Not talking length here, but the dia. Over the top, too much!

Having for years hunted with fast stepping "J" bullet centerfires, and striving for groups as close to an inch as possible, I needed to not only adjust my thinking as per how the 45/70 is loaded, but also as per the range I expect to use the rifle to take a critter.

400 and 500yds not being in the picture, I can do with a bit bigger 100yd groups. Not that I wouldn't be really happy if every rifle I owned would do 1/2" or less groups at that range, but reality says that at 200yds, the push to get any where close to that with my home grown cast boolits just may not be worth the effort.

I could possibly try some "J" bullets and really shrink my 45/70 groups, but the while reason behind starting down this road to begin with, was to use my home grown boolits to take game sized critters.

I'd say that 4 deer and 2 elk in the last three seasons has headed me down that road reasonably well, and to say it has been an enjoyable trip is an understatement.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    msharley and PlainsHunter like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links