TORTURE PENETRATION TEST: Sierra 300 gr. JSP vs. Speer 300 gr. JSP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: TORTURE PENETRATION TEST: Sierra 300 gr. JSP vs. Speer 300 gr. JSP

Tinhorn
    Member #

TORTURE PENETRATION TEST: Sierra 300 gr. JSP vs. Speer 300 gr. JSP

Here is an informal (for what it's worth) penetration and thoroughness torture test I submitted the 300 gr. Sierra JSP and the 300 gr. Speer Uni-Cor bullets to.

Loads compared:

1) 300 gr. Sierra JSP on top of 52 gr. of H335 (26” barrel)
    2) 300 gr. JSP Speer Uni-Cor on top of 55 gr. of H335 (26” barrel)

DISTANCE: 12 yards

PENETRATION TEST MEDIA:
    About 4” of staked American Rifleman magazines (and one old Natchez old catalogue)

RESULTS:
    -
    Both bullets penetrated the 4” of dry magazine paper with a 5-8% deeper penetration for the Speer Uni-cor that bumped the wooden back stop.
    -Complete fragmentation of both bullets with a retained residual single "scrap piece" weight of:
    -104.1 gr. for the SPEER and
    -91.4 gr. for the Sierra.

CONCLUSION:
    Dry paper testing gives quite different results than water jugs testing…
    The 300 gr.JSP Sierra is effectively a quite thought out bullet considering that it is not a lead to jacket “soldered” bullet design.

Personal conclusions:
    - Hard cast bullets are for sure better against heavy (medium to hard skinned) dangerous game.
    (With maybe one exception, if I was after Lion with a 444 Marlin. I wouldn’t feel that bad for this particular game with a good 300 gr. JSP instead of a hard cast…)
    - For (up to 200 kilos) non dangerous game JSP 300gr. 444 Marlin are just fine for me. After this test my preference would be for the Speer UNI-CORE over the SIERRA.
    - My test in not a very rational and
    attendable (??) one but I'm happy with the "noble"end I have offered to my old gun magazines.

L: Speer ; R: Sierra

SPEER VS SIERRA pentr test media.jpg SPEER VS SIERRA pentr test media cm..jpg
    SPEER pentr test_.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dawei; 06-09-2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: correct typos
    papa_bear and Flat Top like this.

-“When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first.

“The first panacea for a mismanaged nation is inflation of the currency; the second is war. Both bring a temporary prosperity; both bring a permanent ruin. But both are the refuge of political and economic opportunists.”

Ernest Hemingway

Tinhorn
    Member #

Speer back stop bump into wood

SPEER residual wght.jpg
    Speer residual weight

SIERRA residual wght.jpg
    Sierra residual weight
    papa_bear likes this.

-“When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first.

“The first panacea for a mismanaged nation is inflation of the currency; the second is war. Both bring a temporary prosperity; both bring a permanent ruin. But both are the refuge of political and economic opportunists.”

Ernest Hemingway

Super Moderator
    Somewhere in South Carolina again! Charter Member #3 Team 444
    Member #
    I think both bullets can be use by the 444 and top end loads if you keep in mind NO point blank shots! At normal hunting ranges they would be fine.
    WHARTHOG and dpe.ahoy like this.

Their are only two kinds of people, those who own a 444 and those who wish they owned one, and yes folks, denial is bliss!

Not much has really changed in the world in 2000 years, Christians are still being thrown to the Lions! and Satan's tool of Deception is still working like a charm, from the time of Adam and Eve, to today!

Charter Member #3 Team 444
    Member # 379 Team 1894
    Member # 1053 Team 30-30
    Member # 338 Team 39

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Starrbow, I think you're right.

Ernest Hemingway

Tinhorn
    Member #
    And thank you for re editing the inverted bullets names under my picture

Ernest Hemingway

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I would be hard pressed to use a bullet that required a longer range shot to stay in one piece. My deer from last year was shot at 22 very short steps (about the same distance that Wharthog carried out his test at?) through very thick cover.....I do like to get close, and most of my shots on deer have never gone past 30 to 40 yards or so at most. Thats why I like the cast and solids. They perform just about the same way regardless of distance. When mt_sourdough tested the SG 444, the 405 grain bullet at 2100 fps stayed in one piece, and mushroomed just the slightest bit. That test was conducted at 10 yards, and through the gallon water jugs.

Wharthog: Try some of your cast bullet loads (about the same weight and velocity) using the same test...............then compare. I think you will like what you see!!!!
    WHARTHOG and rooterpig like this.
    "Overkill.............is WAY underrated."
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/new-sg35-sg444-home/

Wrangler
    Member #
    Also try to get some 270gr. Speer Unicore bullets. They have a jacket that is electro plated onto the core. Makes them bonded core, and they do stay together better than most other bullets and all of the cup-and-core type bullets.
    Guzziac,
    Richard P.
    WHARTHOG likes this.
    He who expects little--is not disappointed---much.

35 Rem. Member # 155, 444 Member # 213, 38-55 # 35

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I’ll just do that Flattop! I’m too curious to see the result with the 305 LBT hard casts trough the same torture test. The only problem is that I don’t have any other American Rifleman magazines at hand to shoot at!!!!!!!
    I’ll post the test results as soon as I’ll have recouped some more…

Ernest Hemingway

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by guzziac View Post
    Also try to get some 270gr. Speer Unicore bullets. They have a jacket that is electro plated onto the core. Makes them bonded core, and they do stay together better than most other bullets and all of the cup-and-core type bullets.
    Guzziac,
    Richard P.
    So does Speer bond their 270 grain unicore bullet differently than they do their 300 grain unicore bullet ?
    Pioneer - Team Member # 291

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I repeated the same 12 feet magazine torture penetration test with the 305 gr hard cast bullets I have; in spite of them being of unknown provenance and alloy.

They did effectively better than the JSP 300 gr. bullets

The load tested:
    305 gr. “hard cast” lbt design on top of 52 gr. of H335

The media:
    A 6” dry paper stack of American Rifleman magazines including a Natchez catalog.

Penetration results:
    About 6” of dry paper penetrated plus a ˝” penetration into the same wooden back stop that endedup completely splitting itself upon impact.

Retained weight:
    114.5 gr.

Observations:
    Bigger Constant cavitation channel hole diameter through out the whole paper stack bullet penetration path.
    A much more impressive impact power propelled the whole magazines stack with their wooden container test box against the wall almost a yard backward.

Personal conclusions:
    Using a certified harder cast bullet, the result should be even more impressive and convincing.

305 gr. Hard cast 114.5 gr. 18 cm..jpg

305 gr. Hard cast.jpg

305 gr. Hard cast 114.5 gr..jpg

305 gr. Hard cast unknown provenience.jpg
    Last edited by Dawei; 06-14-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: typos

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links