Introducing the new BTB Safari Grade 405 gr bullet!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Introducing the new BTB Safari Grade 405 gr bullet!!!

Distinguished Master
    Member #

BTB Safari Grade 405 gr bullet!!! New pics and info.

The time has come....an email from Marshall at Beartooth Bullets last night indicated that the new BTB Safari Grade 405 grain bullets are on their way!!!

As most of you know, all the development work on my Safari Grade 444 was done with the dual crimp bullet that Marshall designed years ago as the ultimate weight to power heavy bullet for the 444 Marlin. I had conferred with Marshall since that time about designing a new bullet with a .550 nose to crimp groove to suit my SG 444 modification, but, it would have been nothing more than the original 405 minus two crimp grooves, with a new .550 crimp groove added. I was discussing this with Marshall about a month and a half ago, and right there on the spot he set about designing a new and improved 405 utilizing some ideas that he had been mulling over for some time. This "new" 405 is truly a masterpiece! The new BTB SG 405 is shorter than the original, incorporates a long/strong front driving band, the meplat has been enlarged, the ogive has been improved, and the grease grooves reduced from the four of the original 405 to three enlarged grooves with greater lube capacity. The one .550 nose to crimp groove suits the SG 444 modification perfectly. What all these changes will allow is increased powder column capacity/ pressure reduction, greater straight line penetration, and improved flight characteristics (the SD/BC has been improved with this new design)...........this bullet will be the ultimate in performance for the SG 444, and should deliver greater power with less pressure than the original 405.

Judging from my work with the SG 444 I would "think" that 2250 fps and 4500+ foot pounds "could" be safely realized with this new bullet.....but, only time will tell. Although the original 405 at 2160 fps and 4000+ foot pounds will take anything that walks, new performance parameters using the new 405 will be worth consideration and future testing.

Also, utilizing a Lee Factory Crimp Die would allow OEM 444 shooters to use this bullet by crimping anywhere on the front driving band for a customized COL to suit their individual rifles.

Congrats and thanks to Marshall for designing what will most likely become THE ultimate all around use heavy weight to power bullet for the SG 444 and OEM 444's. I am looking forward to testing these new bullets as time permits, and will keep you all posted!

The new BTB SG 405 is on the left in the photos, compared to the original BTB dual crimp 405.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Flat Top; 05-01-2012 at 09:50 AM.
    "Overkill.............is WAY underrated."
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/new-sg35-sg444-home/

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Nose to crimp groove appears to be awfully long-----will these still cycle in a lever action gun ?

Steve
    Flat Top likes this.
    " Knowledge Not Shared Is Energy Wasted"

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Man, that meplat is scary big. I don't want to be mean, but that bullet's big meplat looks like it has hurtful intentions. When I look at that bullet, my minds eye sees a subway car full of people, looking out the window, pointing and screaming "GODZILLA!!!"
    I think, perhaps, people can now look at the location of that crimp, so clearly defined, and have a greater understanding of what is going on with the Safari Grade. The new bullet demonstrates what an extra 0.23" really looks like.

The old bullet turned water into a thin, wispy cloud of mist. What's that new meplat gunna do? create a black hole?
    Flat Top, dpe.ahoy and Sweetwater like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ia1727 View Post
    Nose to crimp groove appears to be awfully long-----will these still cycle in a lever action gun ?

Steve
    Somebody said it before I can press the Post Quick Reply button. HA HA
    Flat Top likes this.

Super Moderator
    Somewhere in South Carolina again! Charter Member #3 Team 444
    Member #
    2250 fps and 4500+ foot pounds "could" be safely realized with this new bullet

​Nothing is safe on Earth anymore! I think it's time for some ET's to show up!
    Flat Top likes this.

Their are only two kinds of people, those who own a 444 and those who wish they owned one, and yes folks, denial is bliss!

Not much has really changed in the world in 2000 years, Christians are still being thrown to the Lions! and Satan's tool of Deception is still working like a charm, from the time of Adam and Eve, to today!

Charter Member #3 Team 444
    Member # 379 Team 1894
    Member # 1053 Team 30-30
    Member # 338 Team 39

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ia1727 View Post

Steve
    Yes it is!!! It will function in my modified 444 with the .550 nose to crimp.............

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mt_sourdough View Post
    Man, that meplat is scary big. I don't want to be mean, but that bullet's big meplat looks like it has hurtful intentions. When I look at that bullet, my minds eye sees a subway car full of people, looking out the window, pointing and screaming "GODZILLA!!!"
    I think, perhaps, people can now look at the location of that crimp, so clearly defined, and have a greater understanding of what is going on with the Safari Grade. The new bullet demonstrates what an extra 0.23" really looks like.

The old bullet turned water into a thin, wispy cloud of mist. What's that new meplat gunna do? create a black hole?
    LOL! Yes mt, this bullet should definitely "get er done"............I am sure looking forward to have you test this bullet next year....so, you may get your wish...."black hole" performance. One thing for sure (as Starrbow would say), this bullet should surely improve the "whompability" of the 444.

Now, consider a 445 and a 510 of the same design!!!
    dpe.ahoy likes this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Starrbow View Post
    2250 fps and 4500+ foot pounds "could" be safely realized with this new bullet

​Nothing is safe on Earth anymore! I think it's time for some ET's to show up!
    Starrbow....isnt that the whole idea...(nothing safe on earth)?

PM sent!

Deadeye
    Member #
    Oh my.......I don't know what to say.......

Dan
    Flat Top likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Gee FlatTop, looks like you've almost turned a 444 into a 45-70!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links