Safari Grade 444 Conclusion. - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Safari Grade 444 Conclusion.

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Re: Safari Grade 444 Conclusion.

Starrbow; I made the same point about the 44 mag taking everything that walks on a handgun hunting forum, and I was "informed" in no uncertain terms, that you need at least a .475 to get the job done now-a-days!!!! Evidently the 44 mag (my only big bore handguns, and one that I have successfully taken game with for over 45 years) is not up to the task anymore!!!! Following the lead of the folks that told me that, (that know so much more than the rest of us), I thought to myself, that if that was the case, that I had just better ramp up the ol' 444!!!!

For hunting N.A. big game (of any kind...including the big bears) the stock 444 with the right bullet/load, and within its range, will get the job done post haste...I have absolutely no doubts in my mind about that. This "excersize", the Safari Grade 444, was just to prove that the ol' 444 had a lot more going for it than most folks gave it credit for. My shooting buddy who witnessed this project from start, to this point, is a real 45-70 guy, and he told me that he never expected the 444 to perform (especially in a lever gun) the way it does. After shooting this rifle and load, he did a little research into the 444 (I think he is getting hooked), and like you could not understand the need for more power....my answer to him was: "because it is there to be had"!
    "Overkill.............is WAY underrated."
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/new-sg35-sg444-home/

Gunfighter
    Member #

I don't think I should pass up the opportunity to congratulate you on your success of accomplishing your goals , and to also thank you for the excellent reads that you have provided throughout the process. I am a details type of person but I fully understand the why's of not providing load data in this situation , but you have provided information on case and firearm safety checks that you have done in conjunction with velocity testing . My hats off to you , very well written . thanks Flat Top

Tinhorn
    Member #

Flat Top,
    Will you be posting here with the 35 Rem XLR? I sure want to follow it also.
    Stoutstuff

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Thanks Outfitter!

Thanks stoutstuff....yes, I will be posting more on the 35 (on the 336 forum) when I get around to finishing it up.

RIF
    Co-Captain Team 32 Special Wrangler
    Member #

Apologies if you have posted this before, but can you tell me what methods you used in determining if you were over/under pressure in your rifle? I wonder what your chamber and bore dimensions are too? My mentor, the self proclaimed guru, that helps me out says you are flipping nuts, and wanted me to ask you the above questions. I will tell him your response.
    "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves most of us not to talk about the rest of us."

Distinguished Master
    Member #

RIF..............actually, he is correct. I am flipping nuts!
    I guess my question back to him would be..... why he is asking?

Co-Captain--TEAMS 1894 & Team 450 Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Top

1895Gunner's Website
    Reloading - Shooting - Hunting

RIF
    Co-Captain Team 32 Special Wrangler
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Top

He is here now, but refuses to even speak, it is pretty funny . Why are SOME old farts so scaiired of computers?

Anyway, he just does not understand some of you guys, and as far as that goes I guess I am his convert. He thinks the cheerleading for overloading a 444 Marlin is insane and anyone that does it, and is trying to get others to do it might have a mental problem. I am trying to get him to get his own account, but he refuses "Bunch of idiots" was his direct quote. You can see I have my hands full. Don't know how someone gets that grumpy, lol.

He just went out to the shop, hahaha, slammed the door...

Oh yeah, did you post your load development and pressure indicators so I can appease the old bird?
    "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves most of us not to talk about the rest of us."

Distinguished Master
    Member #

RIF; You just tell him, first of all, that he doesnt have a corner on the ol' fart market...there are a few of us still around, ya know?!?!? Secondly, who says that I am "overloading" the 444?

Words like "insane", "mental problems", and "bunch of idiots" really shouldnt be used on this forum...cause it just aint nice, and, I dont know anyone here that those terms would relate to!

Over 35 years ago, I developed a wildcat cartridge (.224 REMS) that would shoot a 52 grain BTHP at 4170 fps.........using 1/3 less powder than the 22.250, or 220 Swift would, "trying" to achieve the same velocities. Tell him that....I am sure he will be mystified!!!

No, I will not post any load data, or pressure related info.....At his age, I just dont know how much he could take! But, I will assure you that the load, and the gun is safe, and the ballistics I have stated are "fact".

Sidewinder
    Member #

Hats off to you Flat ...

So when are you going to start offering up your - Flat Tops-Uber-Super Duper-Awe Inspiring 444 Safari Grade Upgrades for the rest of us mortals huh huh huh hehehe
    The Quickest Way To Enslave A People Is To Disarm Them ~ George Mason

444 member # 307

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links