Boolit Mold Recommendations
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Boolit Mold Recommendations

Site Contributor-Certified Marlin & Milsurp Rifle Nut Super Moderator
    Member #

Boolit Mold Recommendations

I've seen a whole lot of talk in here about bullets, but never really any molds mentioned that people favor. I'm about to take possession of a very nice 444P, and like every other levergun I own, it will get fed a steady diet of cast bullets from mild to wild. Here is my criteria...

I want 265gr or greater

I'll be loading up to 1900fps, powdercoated, and plain base. I'd like to avoid gas checks. Lyman No.2 for now, range scrap at about 12bhn later. I'm not opposed to GC's though if you have a mold you really like.

So, what is your favorite mold for your 444 and why?
    Herrschutz and PoopDeckPappy like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Travis,

What is the most use? Hunting, target practice, knocking over steel targets?

You can go to the Accurate Bullets web site and look through the catalog to get some ideas. I own more of his molds than I like to admit, love them all. Just watch out for a nose that has a very wide Meplat or Semi-Wadcutter. They usually do not cycle well.
    Last edited by Herrschutz; 03-18-2020 at 03:20 PM.
    256WinMag likes this.
    HerrSchutz
    NRA Life 1974
    40 gr to 535 gr, all moving at the most accurate velocity!
    Darwin was right, when left alone, nature has very efficient and effective ways of strengthening the gene pool​.

Wrangler
    Member #
    i luv the 300gr saeco fn gc with 24.0gr of 2400/dacron in my tc encore(23" MGM barrel in 444). the 300gr goes 1624fps but i am a close cover deer/black bear. you could shot it all day long and twicet on sunday. i take 10 lead/ 1 1/4+/- tin or about 12bhn+/-. if i had a lever gun, i'd go with the 310gr lee fn gc.

Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold C430-310-RF 44 Special 44 Remington Mag 44-40

other loads that i shot deer with

275gr ranch dog with 41.0gr of rel7

275gr ranch dog with 40.0gr of h4198

280gr lfn gc with 41.5gr of rel7

280gr lfn gc with 42.0gr of h4198

250gr mihek hp with 11.5gr of unique

275- 280 gr goes around 2000fps
    Travis 186 likes this.

“Einstein's relativity work is a magnificent mathematical garb which fascinates, dazzles and makes people blind to the underlying errors. The theory is like a beggar clothed in purple whom ignorant people take for a king... its exponents are brilliant men but they are metaphysicists rather than scientists.”
    Nikola Tesla

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrschutz View Post
    Travis,

What is the most use? Hunting, target practice, knocking over steel targets?

You can go the the Accurate Bullets web site and look through the catalog to get some ideas. I own more of his molds than I like to admit, love them all. Just watch out for a nose that has a very wide Meplat or Semi-Wadcutter. They usually do not cycle well.
    All of the above actually.

Most of my molds come from Tom. If it's for a hunting rifle like the above, hunting usually comes first. I have a mold from accurate picked out that Tom actually recommends for Marlin levers. I'm just curious to see what other people like. His 38-250F and 46-360M are great bullets for the rifles I use them in.
    Herrschutz likes this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Saeco, RCBS, Lyman all make very good molds. The LEE molds work okay but are cheap aluminum and do not take the abuse that the steel molds do. Keep the steel mold well oiled and wrapped in plastic when not in use. Then decrease with brake clean before using.
    Travis 186 likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I have a lot of molds (like 40 or more), but I believe that the nicest I have is one that I got from Accurate Molds for a .45-70.
    Travis 186 likes this.
    Love my Marlins!
    "First in last out"!
    I have never seen a headstone in a Cemetery that said: "Gee I wish that I had WORKED longer!"

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy23* View Post
    Saeco, RCBS, Lyman all make very good molds. The LEE molds work okay but are cheap aluminum and do not take the abuse that the steel molds do. Keep the steel mold well oiled and wrapped in plastic when not in use. Then decrease with brake clean before using.
    The only cast iron mold I actually have is an old Ideal 454190. I prefer a quality Aluminum mold.
    Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder65 View Post
    I have a lot of molds (like 40 or more), but I believe that the nicest I have is one that I got from Accurate Molds for a .45-70.
    He makes very nice stuff.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis 186 View Post
    The only cast iron mold I actually have is an old Ideal 454190. I prefer a quality Aluminum mold.

He makes very nice stuff.
    Only thing with Aluminum is is cools fast and takes some time to come up to temp when casting so the boolits are coming out wrinkled until the mold comes up to temp. The steel molds hold the temp better----fine line between too hot and just right. Frosted bullets when too hot. Nice shiney smooth when just right.
    Travis 186 likes this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Hey Travis—
    A GC mold is no problem if you’re gonna powder-coat them. They’ll fly like a boat tail.

Travis 186, 256WinMag and burzynsr like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    here's a mold for the 444 that should work well, I use these and a 255 grain from mp that was a group buy though castboolits years ago in my 444 and 44 mags and a gas check version for full power loads

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/432...ain-base-mold/
    ironhead7544 likes this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links