Boolit Mold Recommendations - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Boolit Mold Recommendations

Super Moderator
    Somewhere in South Carolina again! Charter Member #3 Team 444
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis 186 View Post
    I've seen a whole lot of talk in here about bullets, but never really any molds mentioned that people favor. I'm about to take possession of a very nice 444P, and like every other levergun I own, it will get fed a steady diet of cast bullets from mild to wild. Here is my criteria...

I want 265gr or greater

I'll be loading up to 1900fps, powdercoated, and plain base. I'd like to avoid gas checks. Lyman No.2 for now, range scrap at about 12bhn later. I'm not opposed to GC's though if you have a mold you really like.

So, what is your favorite mold for your 444 and why?
    I never got acceptable accuracy from powder coated bullets out of a 444, maybe it’s me, but, there’s lots of good molds out their, most are GC molds, plain base is somewhat pistol related.
    good luck, some of us knows how expensive it gets, buying and test different bullet molds.
    Travis 186 likes this.

Their are only two kinds of people, those who own a 444 and those who wish they owned one, and yes folks, denial is bliss!

Not much has really changed in the world in 2000 years, Christians are still being thrown to the Lions! and Satan's tool of Deception is still working like a charm, from the time of Adam and Eve, to today!

Charter Member #3 Team 444
    Member # 379 Team 1894
    Member # 1053 Team 30-30
    Member # 338 Team 39

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Go to accurate mold website and on page 15 you'll see the molds listed for the 444 marlin. I have several of the 43-300's that shoot very well.

Site Contributor-Certified Marlin & Milsurp Rifle Nut Super Moderator
    Member #
    Rifle is now in my possession. Gotta acquire some dies, brass, and I have some boolit choices to test out thanks to a fellow member here. Things are a little tight right now being self employed with a craptastic economy, but I'll do the best I can when I can. Hopefully here in the next few weeks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Screw it... dies and brass on the way. Mold will wait until I try these boolits I have on hand. I don't have any j-words.
    ironhead7544 likes this.

Member #
    Av8rPaul, twodot, 244ack and 1 others like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis 186 View Post
    I've seen a whole lot of talk in here about bullets, but never really any molds mentioned that people favor. I'm about to take possession of a very nice 444P, and like every other levergun I own, it will get fed a steady diet of cast bullets from mild to wild. Here is my criteria...

I want 265gr or greater

I'll be loading up to 1900fps, powdercoated, and plain base. I'd like to avoid gas checks. Lyman No.2 for now, range scrap at about 12bhn later. I'm not opposed to GC's though if you have a mold you really like.

So, what is your favorite mold for your 444 and why?
    Travis,

Good post with plenty of feedback. I want to offer one more option after seeing several reference to Accurate Bullet Molds. You can have Tom make a mold with two different designs in one block You can select a bullet nose and weight that fits your needs and then have one cavity cut for a plain base bullet for the mild side and one cut with a gas check using the same overall design. It should only be an additional $10-$15 more for the option. Several years ago I ordered a few blocks with different designs. It worked out well.

I know gas checks make for more steps in the process. However, they will get you to the wild side you are looking for. However, when not needed for the mild side, it is nice to not have to futz around with the cost and time to add the gas check.
    Travis 186 and Goldtrigger like this.
    PDP aka: Pappy
    My Favorites: 22 Hornet and all wildcats, 28-30 Stevens, 32-20 and all wildcats, plus every hyphenated rifle cartridge I have shot.
    Team: "Old Pharts" #348,
    Team Winchester #145

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by PoopDeckPappy View Post
    Travis,

Good post with plenty of feedback. I want to offer one more option after seeing several reference to Accurate Bullet Molds. You can have Tom make a mold with two different designs in one block You can select a bullet nose and weight that fits your needs and then have one cavity cut for a plain base bullet for the mild side and one cut with a gas check using the same overall design. It should only be an additional $10-$15 more for the option. Several years ago I ordered a few blocks with different designs. It worked out well.

I know gas checks make for more steps in the process. However, they will get you to the wild side you are looking for. However, when not needed for the mild side, it is nice to not have to futz around with the cost and time to add the gas check.
    It's a lot easier for me to just run a GC bullet without a GC if I go that route. The upside to a GC is at that point, with powdercoat, the hardness of my alloy doesn't really matter to an extent.

EDIT: The other thing I am noticing about the T4 is most of the data is hot to begin with... there are no milder loads like with 45/70 trap door data. Per my calculations though, most starting loads should have me somewhere around 1700FPS which is perfect, and about what I was looking for. I can work my way up to 1900 with ease from there.
    Last edited by Travis 186; 03-26-2020 at 11:24 PM.
    twodot and PoopDeckPappy like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    If you go to Toms catalog and order any 444 mold with a “RP” it will shoot. 280 to 350 grains. Just get him to not cut it for a for a gas check.
    Travis 186 likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    And if you want to try a more inexpensive mould, I've had good luck with the Lee 430-310. A "round flat" design, it''s more like a short wide nose, gas checked, and drops from both of my moulds at .4325. That's a plus, since I only lube them, that's the size both of my .444's prefer. A large charge of 4198 will push them over 2100 fps, with easy deer getting accuracy as far as I've tested them for group (200 yards). Having plinked with them on head sized rocks out past 300 yards, I'd have to say it's accurate there as well, but no paper targets to show there. I've also used the Saeco 265 gr. GC, and the NOE 265 gr. GC with decent success. I've never used a non-micro grooved .444, so my sizing recommendation may not be right for a "Ballard" rifled one. Might want to check out Hawk bullets if you decide to go with jacketed. They make heavier slugs with the right jacket thickness, like the old Barnes slugs used to. How I miss them!
    Travis 186 likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rooterpig View Post
    If you go to Toms catalog and order any 444 mold with a “RP” it will shoot. 280 to 350 grains. Just get him to not cut it for a for a gas check.
    Good to know. The GC option is still up in the air. I have enough range scrap and linotype that a literal 50/50 mix of each will net me something around Lyman No.2, and just over 100lbs of it. A little less than a years supply, and my shooting got cut in half with the pandemic. 14-15 BHN with a good powdercoat will cover me for as fast as I need to go.

Contacted Western Powders and got some extrapolated data for 5744 for a varying range of bullets. 5744 is my go to right now because I have 4lbs of it, and only 1lb of H4198. Due to the cost of 5744, you can bet your behinds once I burn thru it I will move back to H4198 or RL7. I love the stuff but gosh dang it's pricey.
    rooterpig likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links