Scope Recommendations?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Scope Recommendations?

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Scope Recommendations?

What recommendations does everyone have for optics? My intended use is deer hunting in wooded areas where the furthest shot would be inside of 200yd. I had considered just using iron sights, but the front post covers up too much of the target at distances beyond 100yd...

Thanks!
    mattusmc likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Yes, the post can get a bit thick. If you've a steady hand you can paint a thin white line down the centre. As for scopes, I would go from a x4 to an x6, no more. A 1-4 or 1-6 variable might be worth considering. Reticles are worth thinking about, the 'German' No4 would be my choice as a hunter, but the Duplex works well.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Deadeye
    Member #
    I have a Leupold 2x-7x shotgun scope on my 444. The fairly thick crosshairs show up well in the woods and I don't have any problems hitting the 10" steel swinger at 200 yards.
    doubloon, tranteruk and phwebster like this.
    NRA
    OGCA

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    If I'm scoping a woods deer rifle I don't like to go over 4x. Bro has 2x7 Leupolds that work well too.
    doubloon, tranteruk and phwebster like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Deadeye
    Member #
    There are plenty of companies that make quality scopes.
    I have used just about all of them over the years.
    Now just about all my scopes are Leupold.
    About the only thing I hunt anymore are Coues Whitetail and 300 yards give or take is an average shot.
    I usually keep my scopes on 6 power when I hunt them.
    If I were to hunt in the woods I believe a 4 power would be fine.
    doubloon likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I have a Burris Fullfield II 1.75-5x on mine. It can stretch the round out to 200 yds easily.

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk
    drinva, WRM, doubloon and 1 others like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Front sights can be had in variety of bead diameters or blade thickness. The issue of sight covering up to much of the target should not be happening if properly zeroed. Shooting matches for example, with open sights out to 1,000 yards, the target should be just on top of the blade, not covering the target. Keep all my non adjustable open sighted rifles set with the same zero, 5 inches high at 100 yards, which in the case of the 30-30 170 gr gives a point blank range of 200 yds, or 300 yards with a 308 150 gr FMJ. On a broadside deer, with this zero, if you hold about 1/3 of the way up the shoulder , your are golden thru 200 yds.
    Mike Britton likes this.
    "Should have put more dirt down, saw it right off." Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    There is a reason variable power scopes are so popular. I'm also a fan of a larger mm optic bell. This give you more light absorption and a brighter look in the woods.

Right now Midway USA has some nice Burris on sale at one heck of a deal! I don't need one, but felt like buying one anyway the deals were so good.

DR
    Mike Britton likes this.
    Team 60 #324, Team .22 Magnum #114, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #102, Team Wheelguns #54, Team 700 #5, Team Semi-Auto #41, Team Henry #106
    "Dying ain't so hard for men like you and me, it's the living that's hard" Ten Bears

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Leupold 2.5x20 Ultralight. All the magnification you need for that distance and type of hunting.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Wrangler
    Member #
    I looked through one of these last weekend at Cabela’s. It’s not cheap, but it is amazingly clear with a huge field of view. The straight tube looks good and can be mounted low on a lever gun. Down on 1x power, it can be used with both eyes open. If I had fewer guns and fewer other scopes, I would like to have one of these...

https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-...+gemini+op+dpa
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links