Bullet Advice Needed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Bullet Advice Needed

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I just picked up my 444s and I was wondering what diameter bullets would you suggest out of the micro groove. My dad wants me to load him some slow moving cast billets over unique. And I am seeking advice on what diameter to buy I have read 429 430 431 and am not sure what would be best
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scorpiusb likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Welcome from Alabama... First thing to do is slug the bore... I think it is .002" larger then the bore you need but verify with some of the cast shooters here...
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield, Team 1894

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Welcome from SW Ohio.

Jacketed bullets usually work fine at 0.429.

Cast bullets need to be 0.002-0.003" over groove diameter. You'll need to slug your rifle to find the groove diameter, but most often it's 0.429". If you want to try the 0.432", that's where I'd start.

Microgroove is usually most accurate with jacketed. Shoot those to see your rifle's potential, then work toward that with your cast loads.

Good luck.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Try the speer 270gr. Best of both worlds. Dumps deer and black bear up here in maine

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I go big and lubesize to .432 and never had any problem with leading, they chamber with no problem in my 444s

Tinhorn
    Member #
    As stated, sometimes Microgroove rifling and cast boolits don't play nice together. Since I shoot a buuunnch of cast, I'll say this, many commercial cast bullets may or may not be of the best quality control, hence the Microgroove issue. Perhaps a quality bullet with powdercoating is in order?
    “A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”
    ― Rudyard Kipling

NRA Muzzleloading Instructor
    N-SSA Competitor

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HIKayaker View Post
    Welcome from SW Ohio.

Jacketed bullets usually work fine at 0.429.

Cast bullets need to be 0.002-0.003" over groove diameter. You'll need to slug your rifle to find the groove diameter, but most often it's 0.429". If you want to try the 0.432", that's where I'd start.

Microgroove is usually most accurate with jacketed. Shoot those to see your rifle's potential, then work toward that with your cast loads.

Good luck.
    I agree. In the absence of slugging your barrel, I would go with .432" diameter. Beartooth Bullets has high quality, cast bullets in this diameter.

Dan
    ironhead7544 and rob42049 like this.
    Team 444 Member #14

Super Moderator
    Somewhere in South Carolina again! Charter Member #3 Team 444
    Member #
    .002 over bore diameter, or whatever FILLS the throat, fill the throat and it will shoot good, it takes some work with the rifle and loads to get 1-38 MicroGroove to accurately shoot cast bullets, once you figure it out, cast or jacketed will give you outstanding groups!
    I only use the 1-38 because it gives me what I desire in a hunting rifle, velocity, accuracy and versatility!
    The 1-20 came about because of ignorance and laziness, Gun writers from the mid 1960’s to today still exhibit this enduring quality!

Their are only two kinds of people, those who own a 444 and those who wish they owned one, and yes folks, denial is bliss!

Not much has really changed in the world in 2000 years, Christians are still being thrown to the Lions! and Satan's tool of Deception is still working like a charm, from the time of Adam and Eve, to today!

Charter Member #3 Team 444
    Member # 379 Team 1894
    Member # 1053 Team 30-30
    Member # 338 Team 39

Tinhorn
    Member #
    All my T4's are .430 and I shoot .432 Beartooh cast and .429 Swift A-Frame jacketed.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    My 444s get .432" diameter bullets.

If you slug your bore, you'll probably find a .430" groove diameter. (+/- a few ten-thousandths)
    Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your rusted masses yearning to live again,
    The wretched refuse of your humid closet.
    Send me the partless, broken-stocked,
    The Marlins in need of new life...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links