Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By rickt300
  • 1 Post By Shark Bait
  • 1 Post By rickt300

Thread: 444 Luck

Deadeye
    Member #

444 Luck

I was getting some stuff from Midway and to get free shipping I had to order $49.99 worth of listed stuff and two of the things I bought are a LEE FCD and the LEE 310 gr. WFN Mold, cool. So I get to the house and get a call from a friend who just happened to have two boxes of 300 gr. Nosler JHP's he doesn't need and asks me if I want them. Sure I say though I already had a box. So I decide to load some of the 300 gr. jacketed bullets ending up with a very accurate load powered by 29.0 grains of IMR 4227. Decided to chrony it and it gets 1690 fps. I dug the bullet I chronied out of the backstop and it nicely mushroomed still weighing 277 grains. Other good news (or bad) is that I find my new deer lease is over run with feral hogs and I am going to try to get a couple Wednesday and Thursday both night and day hunting. Hope the luck holds.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Good luck on them pigs
    Never tried 4227 (either one) in my 444. I'll have to look into it.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Looking forward to the pig report. I'd love to bust some hogs with my .444 or .45-70.
    Judson likes this.
    Dave
    -Very Concerned NRA Life Member (Get it together NRA!)
    -S&W Revolver Nerd
    -Smith & Wesson Historical Foundation
    -Smith & Wesson Collectors Association

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #
    IMR 4227 is my favorite powder for both cast and mid range loads. Wish there were more available data for it. I saw 6 the day I went out there by myself, 2 of them pretty big in the 300 pound range. My lease partners went out Sunday and saw 20 that they busted and ran off with one coming back to the mud hole. I was so busy putting two feeders up that I didn't even have a rifle ready til I left and the big one I saw on the road got away due to my Catahoula jumping out of the truck and me having to call her back. But the other two guys have zero excuse, two of them putting up a feeder apiece helping each other should have been able to keep a rifle ready. Going to have to reduce the hog population so they won't run the deer off the feeders.
    Judson likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    That is probably about the ideal velocity for that bullet. That bullet has not held up at higher velocities in my testing, but kept around 1700 and below, that bullet begins to shine. Thanks for the report.
    Oh...Give me a home where the buffalo roam and the deer and antelope play.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links