Fair Price for As-New JM 444S Made in 1982 with Orig. Sling, Box, etc.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DougB

Thread: Fair Price for As-New JM 444S Made in 1982 with Orig. Sling, Box, etc.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Fair Price for As-New JM 444S Made in 1982 with Orig. Sling, Box, etc.

What would be a realistic price for a like-new (probably never fired, or, at most, a few rounds at the range) JM Marlin 444S rifle made in 1982? This rifle appears new and I think it was purchased by a Marlin fan (he had quite a few Marlin lever guns) and just stored in his safe for many years. This rifle does NOT have the cross bolt safety. It has an uncheckered walnut stock. It comes with the original Marlin leather sling, swivels, hammer extension, box, etc. I'm trying to determine a fair price for it. I've looked on GunBroker, GunsAmerica, etc., but I haven't seen any rifles that don't show at least moderate use (worn bluing, some dings and scratches in stock, etc.). I haven't come across any old 444s in like-new condition like this one, and I'm not sure how much the condition adds to its value. Your help is much appreciated.
    turbobug likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I traded $625 worth of my custom knives that I make for my like new, JM stamped Marlin 444 in similar condition. Mine does have the crossbolt safety but was without the box. The seller and I both felt it was a fair trade both ways. I’d imagine the one your looking at would be worth $600-750 TO ME, depending on how much you value the box and accessories.

I’d feel a little guilty walking away with less than $600 and personally at $750 your out of my price range given that Marlins are not really all that uncommon even in oddball calibers. I also don’t anticipate it ever being worth a fortune over what your going to pay for it now within your lifetime, JM stamp or not so as far as I’m concerned it’s an investment that will HOLD value but not really GROW as compared to other options after accounting for inflation over time. At over $750 I’d be looking for another clean user personally.
    Team .30-30 #418

Contributing Member
    Member #
    They aren’t making JM stamped 444’s anymore. If it’s in excellent shape with the accessories you stated a fair price would be up to $800.00. If you can get it for $600.00 I’d say you did good. What are you willing to pay for a triple 4 in excellent shape safe queen?

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    In Ohio, $800 would likely be a minimum price, $1k wouldn't be a stretch either.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thank you all for the information - much appreciated.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Just got one JM stamped in great like new shape made in early 80's and I gave 825.00 and my dealer seem to think that was a good deal for the 444 and I didn't get it from him. I would recommend getting a pre Rem model. The newer one's may be fine I just haven't had any experience with them.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Fair price would be $750-800, in my opinion.
    A good deal would be $600-$700.

If you do purchase it, some of the members here - including myself - would really appreciate some good photos and measurements of the sling. We've had recent discussions about trying to identify the real deal when looking at used slings and rifles, and no one has been able to come up with a known-original example, yet. (Or, if they have ... they haven't shared.)
    Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your rusted masses yearning to live again,
    The wretched refuse of your humid closet.
    Send me the partless, broken-stocked,
    The Marlins in need of new life...

Deadeye
    Member #
    I would think around $800 would be a good price.

My 1988 444ss was $630 in what I would call very good condition when I acquired it a couple of years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Team 444 - #748
    Team 1894 - #546
    Team .35 Rem - #741

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I just traded for one made in 2007 with box and ammo. I had a rifle he wanted and I wanted the 444. He bought it New.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Not a 444ss but I picked up a 1999 jm 444p with a fairly decent scope and sling for 600.00 otd. last weekend. It is pretty close to mint

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links