Just bought a Remlin 444
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Just bought a Remlin 444

Tinhorn
    Member #

Just bought a Remlin 444

I posted this in a different thread but here are some pics and some initial thoughts.

First is the sights are not crooked.

Now that's out of the way... This was supposedly a floor model at SHOT show 2019. I acquired it through a stranger who said he got it from his friend whose mother or MIL works for Remington. Has never been fired and is essentially brand new without a box. Oh well.

Wood to metal fit is good enough for me. The checking is laser cut I was told at some time but nonetheless it feels decent on the stock but not really like much of anything on the forend. The wood is nice in grain and character. The action cycles a tad sloppy. Some WWG shims should clear it up though. Trigger is not the worst I have ever felt on a Marlin Remlin or otherwise. Has the bullseye on the bottom of the stock.

Ive heard these things recoil horrendously and the thin hard rubber "pad" on the butt is not to inspiring. Bluing is about as good as production guns get these days. Even and dark with only a modicum of polishing. Crown looks good.

The thing sure is heavy though. My 1895CB weighs 6lbs 12ozs with 26" octagonal barrel and full length mag tube. This 444 comes in at 7lbs 15oz with 22" barrel and short mag tube.

I was able to produce some Hornady Superformance 265gr ammo and will hopefully take a few shots tomorrow with it.

Weight of 444

Weight of 1895CB

1895CB | 1894SS | 336D | 444
    …………………………………………………………...
    NRA GOA SAF

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Congratulations. Really looking forward to the range report!
    earlthegoat2 and hawkeyesatx like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

Tinhorn
    Member #
    very nice, I purchased one of the .44 mag remlins this year stainless fit and finish are good and the rifle is a shooter. enjoy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    '71 444s
    Team 444 member #606
    336 35 rem.
    Team 35 rem. #698
    1894 44 mag
    Team 1894 # 565
    Model 200 12 ga
    Team shotgun #120

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Looks good to me. I want a range report!

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by earlthegoat2 View Post
    Wonders never cease. Hope you got a good one.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Congrats on a nice rifle.
    Team 39 #474, Team 60 #445, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #163, Team 22 Magnum #172
    Team Glenfield #85, Team 30-30 #1370, Team 32 Special #162, Team 35 #749, Team 444 ​#761
    Team 45/70 #1831, ​Team Marlin Express

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by earlthegoat2 View Post
    I posted this in a different thread but here are some pics and some initial thoughts.

Now that's out of the way... This was supposedly a floor model at SHOT show 2019. I acquired it through a stranger who said he got it from his friend whose mother or MIL works for Remington. Has never been fired and is essentially brand new without a box. Oh well.

Wood to metal fit is good enough for me. The checking is laser cut I was told at some time but nonetheless it feels decent on the stock but not really like much of anything on the forend. The wood is nice in grain and character. The action cycles a tad sloppy. Some WWG shims should clear it up though. Trigger is not the worst I have ever felt on a Marlin Remlin or otherwise. Has the bullseye on the bottom of the stock.

Ive heard these things recoil horrendously and the thin hard rubber "pad" on the butt is not to inspiring. Bluing is about as good as production guns get these days. Even and dark with only a modicum of polishing. Crown looks good.

The thing sure is heavy though. My 1895CB weighs 6lbs 12ozs with 26" octagonal barrel and full length mag tube. This 444 comes in at 7lbs 15oz with 22" barrel and short mag tube.

I was able to produce some Hornady Superformance 265gr ammo and will hopefully take a few shots tomorrow with it.

Weight of 444

Weight of 1895CB

Congratulations on your new rifle!
    I as well have bought a new Remlin Marlin 444!
    I have found that the fit of metal to wood is very well done, the checkering is well done.
    I like the weight of the rifle at about 7.5 lbs, because it will help soak up the recoil.
    From what I understand, the .444 Marlin isn't as bad of a recoiling round as the .45-70 is.
    You can get bullets all the way up to 400 hrs, and have it be a rifle that can take any kind of game on this continent.
    H4198 powder works extremely well for all the bullet weights, as well as H335, and H322, as well as a few others. I myself will be using Bear tooth 300 gr WLFN bullets. Pushing them around 2050-2150 fps.
    The first set of pics, is when I first got my Marlin 444 home. Second set is with a Burris Full Field 1.75-5x scope on her.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
    earlthegoat2, M700, GITU1 and 1 others like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Waffletop View Post
    Wonders never cease. Hope you got a good one.
    Pure speculation on my part but if this was in fact a display model for SHOT show, you would have thought it would have been hand picked for the occasion and they would have chosen a "good one". Initial inspection is promising.
    NRA GOA SAF

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Congratulations on your new 444!
    Do the new 444's have the cartridge leveler on the carrier like the older ones?
    hawkeyesatx likes this.

Saddest words you'll ever hear
    ... "I have these old guns that were my dads and I have no interest in them"

Teach a kid to shoot and to carry on the tradition of safe, ethical use of firearms...

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 95 Lever View Post
    Congratulations on your new 444!
    Do the new 444's have the cartridge leveler on the carrier like the older ones?
    I will have it apart in the next week and I can take a picture of the carrier. I do not know what the cartridge leveler looks like. I have seen carriers before though so perhaps I will notice it.
    hawkeyesatx and 95 Lever like this.
    NRA GOA SAF

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links