Here piggy piggy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Here piggy piggy

Contributing Member
    Member #

Here piggy piggy

A while back I shot a fair sized feral hog broadside behind the shoulder at about 80 yards with one of my Steyr 376s pushing a 270 grain Hornady Spire Point 2600 fps at muzzle. The hog dropped at the shot, never even kicked. With over 4000 ft. pounds of muzzle energy, those results were expected. I also expected an exit hole. There was none. I like exits and blood trails soooo...I bought some 220 grain Lehigh Defense Extreme Penetrators and cooked up a batch of 444 Marlin cartridges.

I had been experimenting with the Penetrators last year but put them aside for some reason. Then, a few months ago I saw a thread by fellow member, mt_sourdough, and discovered I wasn't the only one putting the extreme Penetrators in 444 cases. We traded load data. sourdough was way ahead of me in load development although we were both using the same powder. His data saved me a lot of time. My loads aren't quite as hot as his but should give around 2400 fps. I look forward to trying them out on the hoard of feral hogs we have. I should get exits with these babies!!!

T.S.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Nasty lookin bullets!

3. 08-06-2019, 06:22 PM

Banned

Reason
    Spam and/or unwanted content

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Those are evil looking rounds!!!
    Texas Shooter likes this.
    What this country needs is a department of common sense!
    Team 22 Magnum # 46
    Team Old Pharts # 235
    Team 22 bolt action # 5

5. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    According to the bullet manufacturer, Lehigh Defense,

The progressive nose geometry allows for deep, straight penetration while creating a permanent wound cavity diameter exceeding that of most expanding bullets. To top it off, the bullet is solid copper or brass, and is able to overcome barriers to penetration; environmentally friendly, target unfriendly, very unfriendly, downright obnoxiously unfriendly.
    The magic happens with the nose design where the radial flutes force the hydraulic energy inward and then as the energy is restricted, it accelerates outward creating high pressure spikes damaging surrounding tissue. Kind of similar to sticking your thumb over a garden hose. You can see the radial pressure spikes in the gel pictures. Each crack showing in the gel represents a permanent wound. The permanent wound cavity of the XP is from two to four times greater than what a flat or ball nose bullet generates and often larger than traditional expanding bullets. So what you get is exceptional penetration coupled with a larger permanent wound cavity. Look at the data chart, no other bullet gives you this wound volume.

T.S.
    Last edited by Mr Fixit; 08-07-2019 at 07:28 AM. Reason: words spaced out for clairity
    rob42049, Ret_Eng, Boris and 4 others like this.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Hell, I just want to kill what I shoot don't want to prevent it from getting in Hawg Heaven. What kind of groups can you expect with those fancy flutes? I would have expected the 270gr Speer to exit. I have some of them but never loaded any, in 375H&H. I've only shot 3 hogs with a rifle 30/06 with 170gr Rem CLs at 2400fps. Shoots were 125yds and hogs were about 125lbs. They were on the run and I didn't get classic hits but all three exited and they flopped a little but were dead by the time I got to them. They were escapees from pay to hunt operation.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Contributing Member
    Member #
    mt-sourdough is getting sub moa with this loads scooting along around 2500 fps. I have yet to try my batch. I just loaded them two days ago.

T.S.
    Vooch, Drm50 and Ret_Eng like this.
    Team 99 #29

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Be sure to give us some field reports TS!

Vooch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    VinceA and Texas Shooter like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    526BCC64-2025-40F4-9012-4849B06C827B.jpeg
    One 308ME monoflex at about 50yrds!
    Ok, ok wrong thread but I can only get those for my t4 from Kevin at Underwood’s, made me jealous!
    Last edited by Tarheelherk; 08-06-2019 at 09:11 PM.
    Ret_Eng and Texas Shooter like this.
    Wade

“Aviation is proof that given the will,
    we have the capacity to achieve the impossible!”

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Very interested in your results. While I am satisfied with my current personal choices in the T4 I would like to try these to see what kind of penetration they have.

Is the load data a closely held family secret?

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vooch View Post
    Be sure to give us some field reports TS!
    Vooch and Texas Shooter like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links