Information needed on this 444 lever action
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Information needed on this 444 lever action

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Information needed on this 444 lever action

A friend wants to sell me this rifle, I have owned Marlin Lever action’s for many years but know nothing of this model. It looks like it needs a lot of work, I am attaching three pictures can anyone give me an idea if this gun would be worth my time trying to restore it and if it is worth the time what you may think the gun would be worth paying for.
    Thank you
    Scorpiusb, Boris, turbobug and 5 others like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Never seen a full length musketeer style stock on a Marlin. Interesting. The pictures you provided make it look to be in decent condition. How does it function? Have you safely cycled any ammo through it? I know in my area 444's in decent shape go for $700-$800.
    cajun56 and Marlinjunkie like this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by phwebster View Post
    Never seen a full length musketeer style stock on a Marlin. Interesting. The pictures you provided make it look to be in decent condition. How does it function? Have you safely cycled any ammo through it? I know in my area 444's in decent shape go for $700-$800.

Thank you for your response, if I took better pictures you would be able to see it’s condition, the gun was not taken care of. Until I can take it down I do not want to shoot it. I wanted to slide the stock off but I cannot get the screw loose for the front sight and with the sight in place I cannot slide the stock off.I will try to take some better close up pictures and post then.
    Marlinjunkie likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    A few inconsistencies on this rifle... The AA serial number is from 1965, first year of the 444... It had a Monte Carlo cheek rise stock, a five shot mid length mag tube and a regular barrel band forearm...

This rifle has a non Monte Carlo stock, a full length mag tube and a forearm I've never seen before on a Marlin... Doesn't mean they never made one, just I've never seen one...
    Marlinjunkie and Thefile like this.
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Here is a picture of a 1965 444....

Click on photo to enlarge...

1965444.jpg
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thank you, I was Surprised when he showed me the gun, I was expecting it to look like my marlin 45-70, now I am very interested to find out more about this gun, I might contact Marlin to see if they can give me a little history about this
    Last edited by Thefile; 06-08-2019 at 04:25 PM.
    Marlinjunkie likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    It is very unlikely you will get usable info from Marlin as they are now owned by Remington and none of the "old guys" are around any more...
    Marlinjunkie likes this.
    Bart

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Interesting looking rifle, hope your able to get it and show it off when you get it cleaned up.
    Marlinjunkie likes this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Does anyone have an idea how I can loosen the screw on the front sight. So far I have put so much pressure on it I am Afraid it will break then I have a real problem. I thought about heat but I do not want to ruin the blowing

Super Moderator
    Member #
    You might try an impact driver, although it could still snap the screw...
    Marlinjunkie likes this.
    Bart

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links