Information needed on this 444 lever action - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Information needed on this 444 lever action

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I like it! I'd grab it up if the price were anywhere near right.
    Shark Bait and oldschoolron60 like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I have the band screws out, it is the front sight sight screw, if I get time today I am going to try some of the ideas you guys gave me.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Is it necessary to take the front sight off? Can you post more pictures from various angles? This gun is intriguing.
    Dave
    -Very Concerned NRA Life Member (Get it together NRA!)
    -S&W Revolver Nerd
    -Smith & Wesson Historical Foundation
    -Smith & Wesson Collectors Association

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    It is necessary, with the sight in place you cannot slide the barrel rings off therefor you cannot slide the stock out.
    i will post more pictures today
    Shark Bait and Texas Shooter like this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I wanted to start on some of the ideas you guys gave me but it might be a few more days. I am being treated for cancer and have good and bad days, today is one of the worst days in over a month. If I feel better this afternoon I will take some detailed pictures and post them.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefile View Post
    Does anyone have an idea how I can loosen the screw on the front sight. So far I have put so much pressure on it I am Afraid it will break then I have a real problem. I thought about heat but I do not want to ruin the blowing
    take solder gun ,put the hot tip on the screw for a while then try it .

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I had a chance to take more pictures, they are not great but you get a better idea of the condition. I guess it is not as bad as I thought, a good cleaning and refinishing the stock should make this a nice collectable. I do not know why that copper sleeve was put in, maybe to hide some rust.
    kraynky likes this.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    For front sight screw in ramp I would remove sight from dove tail, put a cheap screw diver in screw slot and heat screw driver shank with propane torch. As long as you don't put flame directly on parts it won't hurt the blue and transfers heat faster than soldering guns. Remove screw driver and give it a shot of WD. Then use the right screw driver and 99% of the time you will get it out easily. As for copper shim around tube it may have been there because tube was slipping in barrel band. I have done it myself but cut the shim stock so it's covered by the barrel band.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    The best method I have found for frozen screws is to clamp the barrel in a padded drill press vise, clamp that to the drill press table and support the back end of the rifle. Put a hex screwdriver bit in the drill chuck that has a tip that fits the rogue screw, leave enough out to get a small crescent wrench on and then lower the bit into the slot. Use a bit of muscle on the little crescent wrench while holding the drill press chuck down with good pressure. It almost always cracks the screw, if it breaks the screwdriver bit, nothing else is touched and you are already set up to drill the head off the screw and go from there.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    AS a gunsmith of 50 years, I have built a few Frankenrifles similar to what you are dealing with. (What the silly customer wants he gets.) I would imagine this rifle is an assembly of various Marlin 336 and 444 parts. The magazine tube can be extended by welding an extension on to the original to make almost any length needed. I think that bit of brass shim is there to get the band to grip the mag tube tightly, with a longer than normal tube, they have a habit backing out with every shot unless very tightly clamped down.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links